Did Team USA just lose to Lithuania?

[b]My point is that there are players on this roster that put themselves before their team and even before winning. There are some "stars" on this team would rather lose the NBA finals and them go 38 - 40 from the floor then them win and they go 0 - 20 from the floor. Make sense now?[/b]

Please back up your blanket stupid statement by naming one player on the olympic team or in the NBA that would rather score 40 pts than win an NBA title.

[b]No, but they didn't go out and say "We're the best team in the Nation" either, a la Rashad McCants. You telling me you didn't laugh at McCants when he said it either? [/b]
I had no idea that Rashard was on the USA Olympic team, Coach Brown is an idiot for not playing him, they could really use his shooting.
[b]Is that a contradiction? You're telling me the players cannot be held responsible for how badly they shoot? Then who do we blame? Was somebody supposed to work on that for them? Can we blame them for not getting the ball to their scorers but instead jacking up shots themselves and missing? [/b]
I'm saying the players on this team should not be blamed for the committee not selecting any quality 3 pt shooters to be part of the team. The USA team is being forced to jack up 3's because teams are packing in zones on them because they have no shooters ie the poor shooting % so I guess if you really want to bash poor shooter for being poor shooters go ahead, just seems like bashing a miget for being short.

[QUOTE]I do care about the size of their heart and the fact that this is not a team SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO PLAY TEAM BALL!! You want the NBA and to defend it at all costs (even if it means looking like an idiot on a message board). You can have it.[QUOTE]

Iā€™ll just chalk this up to you having no idea what your talking about. Just to bring you up to speed, the Detroit Pistons won the NBA championship by playing great defense and being the consement team. As far as who is looking like an idiot that is very debatable.

For the record Iā€™m not that big of a NBA fan and think the level of play has gone down dramatically over the last 10 years especially with the increase of High Schoolers going pro. But most of the problems with NBA I attribute to the people running the league, no one is putting a gun to GMā€™s heads to pick HS player and I donā€™t fault HS players for going to the proā€™s to collect the money. I just have a problem with people who will berate players who are trying the best he can for their country and then cheer players(the 49ers) who are no different. But Iā€™m sure if we lose a couple of games youā€™ll do the same thing to our team so at least your consistant.

Well JimmyHat, the name fits. Iā€™l try to use smaller sentances so maybe you can keep up.
My ā€œblanket stupid statementā€ - There are several players on that team and in the NBA who put their own stats above the success of the team. It doesnā€™t suprise me you donā€™t see that.

[QUOTE]I had no idea that Rashard was on the USA Olympic team, Coach Brown is an idiot for not playing him, they could really use his shooting.
[/QUOTE]
Whatever. Iā€™ll try to tie it all together since you are apparently unable to do so. Players on the Olympic team saying they are going to win the gold medal is the same as when Rashad McCants said that Chappel Hill was the #1 team in the nation right after losing to Wake Forest. Iā€™d hope they still feel like they could win the Gold, even after a loss, but they make themselves AND THE COUNTRY THEY REPRESENT look bad by making a comment like that. Especially right after a loss.

[QUOTE]Iā€™m saying the players on this team should not be blamed for the committee not selecting any quality 3 pt shooters to be part of the team. The USA team is being forced to jack up 3ā€™s because teams are packing in zones on them because they have no shooters ie the poor shooting % so I guess if you really want to bash poor shooter for being poor shooters go ahead, just seems like bashing a miget for being short.[/QUOTE]
No, itā€™s like bashing a basketball player for not being able to play basketball. You donā€™t want to even tackle why so many star players canā€™t hit open jumpers but you will blame the committee because they canā€™t shoot.

[QUOTE]Iā€™ll just chalk this up to you having no idea what your talking about. Just to bring you up to speed, the Detroit Pistons won the NBA championship by playing great defense and being the consement team. As far as who is looking like an idiot that is very debatable.[/QUOTE]
Are you arguing with me here or yourself? I say that theyā€™re not winning because theyā€™re not playing team ball and you say that the Detroit Pistons won because they did play team ball. Okay, thatā€™s not helping our Olympic team and the fact they donā€™t play together. As far as looking like an idiot to you - I am starting to realize how much of a compliment that truley is.

[QUOTE]For the record Iā€™m not that big of a NBA fan and think the level of play has gone down dramatically over the last 10 years especially with the increase of High Schoolers going pro. But most of the problems with NBA I attribute to the people running the league, no one is putting a gun to GMā€™s heads to pick HS player [QUOTE]
We actually agree there.

[/QUOTE] and I donā€™t fault HS players for going to the proā€™s to collect the money.[QUOTE]
And I donā€™t either. I fault them for not trying to improve their game afterwards and not respecting the game that is making them all those millions. I fault them for not being able to do their ā€œjobā€ which is putting a ball in a basket.

[/QUOTE]I just have a problem with people who will berate players who are trying the best he can for their country and then cheer players(the 49ers) who are no different. But Iā€™m sure if we lose a couple of games youā€™ll do the same thing to our team so at least your consistant. [QUOTE]
And I have a problem with people who use any possible insult they can to try to get under peopleā€™s skin. First you call me racist, then you call me a fairweather fan all because Iā€™m doing the same thing you are - voicing my opinion.

And the 49ers are not the same as the players on the Olympics. You asked for differences - I gave them to you in previous posts. You should read them, if you ever get any free time between insults.

I still donā€™t understand why someone would say that our team isnā€™t playing team ball? Theyā€™re working the ball around consistently for an open shot, then clanking it. Somebody has to shoot. Thatā€™s the way you score. I dare you forD to count the number of passes the team makes each time down the floor, then average it out. Iā€™ll bet you whatever you want that itā€™s somewhere around 4 or so passes. Thatā€™s team ball to me. So, Iā€™m not conceding your point that this team isnā€™t playing team ball. Now what the guys do when they get back to their NBA teams is a different story. But weā€™re supposed to be limiting this discussion to Team USA.

Interesting quote from Lithuania PG Sarunas Jasikevicius:

ā€œA lot of Europeans have tried the NBA dream and found it is a myth,ā€ Jasikevicius said almost a year ago. ā€œEuropean ball is getting closer to the level of the NBA, anyway. I donā€™t feel I have to play there to prove myself as a player.ā€

Link to entire piece: Jasikeviciusā€™ Quest

[b]"A lot of Europeans have tried the NBA dream and found it is a myth," Jasikevicius said almost a year ago. "European ball is getting closer to the level of the NBA, anyway. I don't feel I have to play there to prove myself as a player." [/b]

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Last I checked Dirk, Peja, Pao Gasol, etc. looked like the best European players in the world. I hate this guy and wish Odom WOULD have bitchslapped his cocky a$$ when he rolled his eyes or whatever at him en route to the 4-pt play.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Aug 25 2004, 09:58 AM [b]
[b]"A lot of Europeans have tried the NBA dream and found it is a myth," Jasikevicius said almost a year ago. "European ball is getting closer to the level of the NBA, anyway. I don't feel I have to play there to prove myself as a player." [/b]

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Last I checked Dirk, Peja, Pao Gasol, etc. looked like the best European players in the world. I hate this guy and wish Odom WOULD have bitchslapped his cocky a$$ when he rolled his eyes or whatever at him en route to the 4-pt play. [/b]

Your post sounds like sour grapes to me.

[b]Your post sounds like sour grapes to me. [/b]

If anyone on this board is qualified to talk about sour grapes, it is you.

Someone else who thinks USA Basketball SUCKS, South Carolina Coach Dave Odom. Funny article in the Big O.

[b]"We don't play good basketball in the NBA anymore," said Odom, who coached San Antonio star and U.S. basketball center Tim Duncan at Wake Forest. Odom has a mandatory staff meeting for Thursday morning at 7:30 a.m. - not to go over strategy but watch America's first medal-round basketball game with Spain. He'll serve breakfast and yell at each U.S. mistake or poorly missed shot.[/b]

Iā€™ll be yelling too. But I will be yelling for a loss!

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Aug 25 2004, 10:26 AM [b]Interesting quote from Lithuania PG Sarunas Jasikevicius:

ā€œA lot of Europeans have tried the NBA dream and found it is a myth,ā€ Jasikevicius said almost a year ago. ā€œEuropean ball is getting closer to the level of the NBA, anyway. I donā€™t feel I have to play there to prove myself as a player.ā€

Link to entire piece: Jasikeviciusā€™ Quest[/b]

If thatā€™s what he needs to tell himself to sleep better. Fact is the dude only averaged 12 a game his best season at Maryland and never made an all ACC team.

[b]Someone else who thinks USA Basketball SUCKS, South Carolina Coach Dave Odom. Funny article in the Big O.[/b]

Boy, Dave Odom thinks they suck, if that isnā€™t the pot calling the kettle black. If anyone knows about sucking itā€™s Dave Odom.

[b]And I have a problem with people who use any possible insult they can to try to get under people's skin. First you call me racist, then you call me a fairweather fan all because I'm doing the same thing you are - voicing my opinion.[/b]

For the record I never called you a racist, we have argued a variety of points that we disagree on, but you haveā€™t called the teams Thugs and Punks as others have.

The choke is now complete. Bronze at best.

My frustration and bitterness has been mostly misdirected at the guys who did go. Itā€™s the primadonnas who didnā€™t go that I should be yelling at.

In any case, the NBA is no longer officially the best basketball in the world. They might still be able to claim they have the best players, but the game has been surpassed by better fundamentals and team play.

Dont think David Stern cares though. So no change coming.

Interesting read:

USA Basketball team

Iā€™m more than extremely disappointed at those who didnā€™t go. I thought the wakeup call was sent loud and clear two years ago when we finished sixth at the World Championships. I was cheering for Gold, now that itā€™s not a possibility I donā€™t really care if we win bronze. Perhaps not medaling, what many were cheering for from the start, is the only thing that will convince our best players that they have to go now for us to win.

This is so depressing to me. How many wide open jumpers did they have and how many did we pass on offensively? Just a miserable performance from our guards.

So depressed right now.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Aug 27 2004, 03:06 PM [b] My frustration and bitterness has been mostly misdirected at the guys who did go. It's the primadonnas who didn't go that I should be yelling at.

In any case, the NBA is no longer officially the best basketball in the world. They might still be able to claim they have the best players, but the game has been surpassed by better fundamentals and team play.

Dont think David Stern cares though. So no change coming. [/b]

:biglaugh: Thats the thing! David Stern doesnt care! The players that didnt go dont care! If we cheer this bunch of f@#$-ups then nobody will care! Show that your upset at this or it will only continue! :cuss:

Goog article. It is easy to blame the players, and I still think they need to be able to hit an open shot, but the players that turned down going need to be blackballed. The sad fact is, most people will forget who turned it down by the time the season starts and history will show that true patriots as the reason we lost.

ā€œAny person thatā€™s selected to a team like this, it shouldnā€™t be a question in your mind. It shouldnā€™t even be something to think about. Youā€™re honored to get a chance to represent your country, and whatā€™s better than that? Anybody that grew up in the U.S. and is able to be a basketball player in the NBA, you understand what that country has done for you and your family. It gave you an opportunity to support your family and be recognized as a household name. I mean, itā€™s just an honor to be able to do something like that, and I would advise anybody thatā€™s selected to a team like this to take that honor and cherish it. You need to understand that first and foremost, itā€™s an honor to be selected to this team. Itā€™s something you should cherish for the rest of your life. And honestly, itā€™s something that I will cherish, even without winning the gold medal. I feel good about being part of something like this. I feel like a special basketball player to be selected to a team like this.ā€ - Allen Iverson

Iverson might have done some thuglike things in his past but I have to praise him for standing up and making a statement like this.

That should be required reading for all NBA players. I am amazed at how Iverson seems to have matured over the last couple years.

All of this Olympic hoops stuff got me to thinking after I read this Doyel piece about Utah that focuses on Aussie Andrew Bogut:

Sportsline.com: Giacoletti mixes luck, skill to get good start at Utah

In particular, my thoughts are on another Aussie - Martin Iti. I will assume that Iti was neither considered for nor sought a spot on the Australian Olympic team. He didnā€™t attend Pete Newellā€™s Big Man Camp. In fact, other than his stellar performance in Chicago pre-draft, I donā€™t get the impression that heā€™s been playing at all. Just something to think aboutā€¦