Discussion of stats from the Yale debacle

A simple yes or no on here will suffice, or are you going to get all big and bad for everyone at the party and show how tough you really are?

[i]Originally posted by BigDNiner[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 05:57 PM [b] A simple yes or no on here will suffice, or are you going to get all big and bad for everyone at the party and show how tough you really are? [/b]
What does that have to do with anything?
[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 06:09 PM [b] What does that have to do with anything? [/b]
Was just asking. Needed to know if I need to have some bandages and neosporin available for the whooping you would surely give me.
[i]Originally posted by Goldniner[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 08:58 AM [b] Thanks for the report from the Left Coast. As for the refs---it will be hard to find a worse crew than the ones at the IU game. Ed Hightower is awful. The crew called 22 fouls in a 14 minute period in the second half. The only good part is that they were evenly called.

[/b]

I can think of many, many officials that are far worse than Ed Hightower. As a matter of fact, I canā€™t think of many that I would rather hand pick to do a Charlotte game, and yes that list includes Gerald Boudreaux.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 10:31 AM [b] Would someone please explain to me why we can't hold on to a lead? We were up by 15+ on Rutgers and Alabama and lost both. We were up by 10+ on Indiana before they came back to take the lead in the final minutes. We were up by 10+ last night, but it was a 2 point game with under a minute to play. Most of our other games have been much closer than they should have been too. We have had a lot of cupcakes on our schedule and the only game we have won by more than 20 was Long Beach State. Why? After we get up by 10 in the first half, our team seems to think the game is basically over and they go into cruise control mode. I know... "a win is a win." The problem is that if we could hold a lead, we would be 10-0 right now. If we keep playing like this we are going to lose to a couple of cupcake games somewhere down the road... which probably means NIT. Bobby needs to find a way to keep our team fired up and playing hard no matter what the score is. Don't let up until Travis Gordon checks in.

I think a lot of the problem is our defense which is either terrible or non-existant. Particularly our perimiter and transition defense. We have defended the low post reasonably well. Listening to the game last night it seems like almost all of Yaleā€™s points came off of open 3 point shots or breakaway layups. At the start of the season I said that free throws and defense would be the only two things stopping us from being a great team. FT shooting seems to be improving latelyā€¦ now please fix the defense.

I was impressed with Iti and Goldwire last night. nice to see (hear) them step up. Basden has been sold all season. Now if we can just get Withers and Baldwin back into the flow of the offenseā€¦

Finallyā€¦ franchise: what did lefty do to you? Leave the guy alone. We are all on the same team hereā€¦ You donā€™t have to agree with everything he says, but there is no reason to attack someone for being too supportive of our program. Donā€™t like what he is saying? Donā€™t read it. [/b]

I told someone earlier in the season that we can get or lose an 8 point lead quicker than any team in the country.

there was mention of a partyā€¦where?

if you bobby bitchers would please give me an example of whose program over the last 7 years you think we should mirror ourselves after. What level do you consider our program? who are our piers?

Sidebar- Wooden was at ucla for 20 years before he won 10 titles in 12 years. These things take time if you have the right guy.

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 06:49 PM [b] there was mention of a party...where? [/b]
[url=http://www.ninernation.net/index.php?act=SA&a=3&s=]Here.[/url]
[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 05:20 PM [b] [QUOTE= It is all speculation is say that Watkins would have made us a consistent post season team, but I think most Niner fans would say that it is probable.

[/b]

Judging from his job at Texas, we would have been on the bottom of the league. Without Lutz, Marvin wouldnā€™t have had a job here long.

[b] Judging from his job at Texas, we would have been on the bottom of the league. Without Lutz, Marvin wouldn't have had a job here long. [/b]
Marvin? :blink: :rolleyes:

OK, greuhls, go back to your original username :stuck_out_tongue: ā€¦Iā€™m just kidding, this guy isnt near entertaining enough to be compared to sir Greuhls!

[i]Originally posted by gamer[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 08:12 PM [b] [QUOTE=Powerbait,Dec 29 2004, 05:20 PM] [QUOTE= It is all speculation is say that Watkins would have made us a consistent post season team, but I think most Niner fans would say that it is probable.

[/QUOTE]
Judging from his job at Texas, we would have been on the bottom of the league. Without Lutz, Marvin wouldnā€™t have had a job here long. [/b]

Whoā€™s Marvin?? :wacko: :blink: Gamer, youā€™re killing me!! :lol:

I think Melvin left at just the right time. He rode out the last of Mullinsā€™ recruits (Colson, Demarco, Versaile) and left a lot of other players on the team very unhappy (Young, Price). I think Melvin was a great assistant but not head coach material - hope he proves me wrong one day.

As for hiring an assistant coach for Lutz I think thatā€™s a great idea. Donā€™t we have a problem keeping the oneā€™s we have, though? Orlando Early, Kevin Nickelberry (blessing in disguise), heck even Kumer left (only to come back). I thought the story is we couldnā€™t afford to pay them what theyā€™re worth?

This team has made progress under Coach Lutz. Better recruits, better OOC schedules (except this year), better and more wins (3 top 10 wins last year alone), etc. We have not made progress in the tournament, which I grant you is the biggest measurement, but we have made progress and weā€™re getting more attention now then we ever have which is huge.

The biggest thing I think is peculiar is the fact that in Lutzā€™s first 3 years his teams were great on defense, good ft shooters (Diego & Joby) and stepped up come tournament time (2 C-USA tournament titles and 2 NCAA tourney second round exits in 3 years). What has changed? Not getting the recruits we want? Losing a particular assistant?

I like Bobby as a person, he has done a great job with what he has had to work with and I believe heā€™ll continue to do so. Iā€™d take what heā€™s done for us the past 7 years over being a ā€œone year wonderā€ anytime.

gamer, you are rather stupid.

For the record, he was at Texas A&M, not Texas.

Maybe we should bring back some tired/fired old fart like Tom Penders. Check out his quote after the 47 point butt-whuppin Houston took from Washington:

After his teamā€™s 47-point loss to Washington in Seattle on Friday, Houston coach Tom Penders claimed the officiating cost his team the game: ā€œI think if we played on a neutral floor, we could (play Washington again) and we would beat this team,ā€ Penders told the Houston Chronicle.

Weā€™re 9-2, havenā€™t even started conference play. 16 conf games to goā€¦

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 06:49 PM [b] there was mention of a party...where?

if you bobby bitchers would please give me an example of whose program over the last 7 years you think we should mirror ourselves after. What level do you consider our program? who are our piers?

Sidebar- Wooden was at ucla for 20 years before he won 10 titles in 12 years. These things take time if you have the right guy. [/b]

Ok if you want an example of a program I think Charlotte could model themselves after its Ga. Tech. They were definitely in a down time, not necessarily because of lack of talent, but they just stayed at the same level each and every year. So what did they do. They went out and hired a young, unproven, but talented coach named Paul Hewitt. Hewitt built the program and bada boom they are a power team again. You want another example how about Gonzaga, a team who didnā€™t have a ton of talent, but they took a chance on a coach named Mark Few and he took them to 2 straight Sweet 16ā€™s by emphasizing solid fundamentals.

Your allusion to John Wooden brings me to my biggest complaint about Bobby. John Wooden in his own words was only concerned about what his team did. He did not spend time worrying about what other teams threw at him. Coach Lutz IMO spends way too much time worrying about what sets/plays/defenses the other teams run and not enough time worrying about our sets/plays/defense.

My earlier comparison to Bill Self and Tubby Smith was not a comparison of results and Kentucky. I was looking back to their earlier days. Do you think Bobby Lutz could ever lead Charlotte to a 32-5 record and a sweet 16 appearance? Bill Self did it with Tulsa.

Iā€™m in the same boat as Powerbait. I feel that Bobby has done a good job at sustaining Charlotte at a certain level. However itā€™s hit a plateau it seems. We seem too satisfied to just win a game. We donā€™t get better each and every game like good teams do. I donā€™t see great spacing, great motion or great execution on offense. Those are reflections of coaching. Furthermore our defense looks lost at times during crucial moments. Additionally 3 years in a row weā€™ve had teams that struggled at FTā€™s (although it looks like maybe weā€™re breaking some). Thatā€™s not players, thatā€™s coaching not emphasizing rhytym, form, and follow through.

I just want improvement. Consistency is nice, but not so nice when you arenā€™t a sweet 16 contender. I want us to get better and better each year. So far I havenā€™t seen that. One has to wonder, does that plateau have a new peak in the horizon, or a big cliff?

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 09:09 AM [b] Ok if you want an example of a program I think Charlotte could model themselves after its Ga. Tech. They were definitely in a down time, not necessarily because of lack of talent, but they just stayed at the same level each and every year. So what did they do. They went out and hired a young, unproven, but talented coach named Paul Hewitt. Hewitt built the program and bada boom they are a power team again. You want another example how about Gonzaga, a team who didn't have a ton of talent, but they took a chance on a coach named Mark Few and he took them to 2 straight Sweet 16's by emphasizing solid fundamentals.

[/b]

Ga tech? Add us to the ACC and see where we are with Lutz in five years. Then you can make a valid comparison. Remember Anthony Morrow? He chose GA Tech solely over us to play in the ACC. Or put us in the SEC and see me in five years.

And yes, I can see Lutz taking us to the sweet 16 with a record close to 32-5 like Self did at Tulsa.

Your point about Ga. Tech is valid, however my comparison was based on the talent level of both teams (I personally feel that overall the talent level between us and GT is fairly even, I know many could disagree).

However as for Bill Self, weā€™ll agree to disagree. I donā€™t think Lutz couldā€™ve done that. Although I hope that he proves me wrong, because I think highly of him. I just donā€™t agree with some of his basketball philosophies.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 04:20 PM [b] Your point about Ga. Tech is valid, however my comparison was based on the talent level of both teams (I personally feel that overall the talent level between us and GT is fairly even, I know many could disagree).

However as for Bill Self, weā€™ll agree to disagree. I donā€™t think Lutz couldā€™ve done that. Although I hope that he proves me wrong, because I think highly of him. I just donā€™t agree with some of his basketball philosophies. [/b]

I do agree that we have a lot of talent but weā€™re still missing on key players, ie big time point guard. If we were in the ACC or SEC, that wouldnā€™t be a problem. Clemson is bad every year, yet still steals recruits from us on a regular basis. Hell, we lost KC Rivers and his uncleā€™s jersey is hanging in our rafters. Give Lutz his top choices at each position and we would be an elite program.

And I think 30 wins is doable in the A-10. Not as sure about the Sweet 16.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 05:20 PM [b] Your point about Ga. Tech is valid, however my comparison was based on the talent level of both teams (I personally feel that overall the talent level between us and GT is fairly even, I know many could disagree).

However as for Bill Self, weā€™ll agree to disagree. I donā€™t think Lutz couldā€™ve done that. Although I hope that he proves me wrong, because I think highly of him. I just donā€™t agree with some of his basketball philosophies. [/b]

Not exactly the same as a Sweet 16 but Bobby did send 2 guys to the NBA from Pfeiffer. Not only were they in the NBA but they had long careers. Thatā€™s impressive in my book.

[b]Give Lutz his top choices at each position and we would be an elite program. [/b]

Not trying to be an ass here, but I think we could say that of any coach on any level at any time.

[i]Originally posted by Iron9er[/i]@Dec 30 2004, 10:59 PM [b]
[b]Give Lutz his top choices at each position and we would be an elite program. [/b]

Not trying to be an ass here, but I think we could say that of any coach on any level at any time. [/b]

Give ME top choices and I can make an elite program.
I seriously donā€™t know where you come up with this stuff Lefty.

ā€œGive Lutz his top choices at each position and we would be an elite program.ā€ Now that statement was extremely thought out well. I had expected another Lutz reset, but this is worth much more to me. That was as intelligent as George Costanzaā€™s ā€œJerk Storeā€ crackback. :drink: