Do you blame Sanchez for losing Brice?

There are plenty of Mid Majors that have handled the portal/NIL fine. It’s another excuse from “us niner fans” that we should just pack up and go home. UAB/North Texas haven’t had any issue adding and retaining talent. Looks like FAU might keep their team together to. We have a loser mentality and so does our athletic department.

4 Likes

We all knew when Ron was hired he was here to do it the right way and build a program. That’s impossible now unless you are a NIL player. We have no money to keep our players.

The only right way is to win.

Winning requires more than just rigidly installing a system that you won’t budge from. Ron coaches like a robot that was programmed to do things one way. That simply hasn’t, and won’t ever work.

2 Likes

The portal is a problem that everybody is dealing with but losing your top 3 players in two years is very telling to me

4 Likes

Former basketball manager on the discord said he ran into some players out one night near the end of the season and they “sounded like they wanted ron gone more than we do”.

Brice said in an interview towards the end of the season that his first year felt like he had never played basketball before because of how complicated the offense is.

It’s not just the portal.

Players want to win. Players want to play in a System that will get them into and ready for the league. Ron doesn’t offer that.

6 Likes

Nothing we are doing right now on the basketball side makes sense to me at the moment.

NIL or no NIL, if we can’t make the decision hard for Brice, this staff has no chance.

We chose a coach rigid with a style of play that seems a better fit to the 80’s than today. The defense is one predicated on packing things in when the three point line is what is in vogue. Hell, we even had bigs ourselves taking gobs of 3s. It’s also a defense that’s harder to learn in an era where we may be rebuilding a roster every year.and our 31 second offense is the opposite of what these kids have played to get here.

How this mess we have created is ever going to add up to anything, I just don’t see it. We bought into a coach and a system that time is passing or has already passed by. Unless a miracle happens, I expect us to be competing for the bottom of the league.

1 Like

Thats what may ultimately kill us. A student somewhere is going to court with this and argue that a college cannot charge me a fee for other students to make money from. And they will win and we lose a big chunk of our athletic department’s financing.

1 Like

Remarkable this hasn’t happened already

1 Like

Bingo. We can start nil and we can compete in this atmosphere if we stop letti g guys like ron make excuses. Biff doesn’t make excuses.

I don’t disagree with much of what you say but I would love to know who these “whales” are who will fund our NIL initiative, stadium expansion, pay Healy’s and Ron’s buyout, Halton updates and expand the Hayes. I have been around this program a long time. There are a few bigger donors but we have very few compared to most programs. We just had three pass away in the last couple months.

We are going to have to grow our “smaller” donor base a great deal to make any headway. Increase the $100 - $1,000 per year donor base and find a few bigger donors. There are some on this board that that don’t donate to the university. That is their decision but their opinion carries little weight with me. With all that being said, I will not donate one dime to NIL. I refuse to but maybe others will? If not, we will continue to lose players in this environment. I hate everything about the current state of college sports, NIL and the portal but love this university. I will continue to give to athletics and academics.

Ron may not have been the sole reason we lost Bryce but I have zero doubt he was a contributing factor. I can’t defend his system, player rotations or in game decisions. I like him as a person but am stumped why we are giving this another run next year unless we can’t afford another option.

2 Likes

The Portal is only a problem if the coach and his program are substantial parts of that problem.

1 Like

The problem with this argument is that all of the other schools in our conference have the same issue. This isn’t a Charlotte only problem.

1 Like

If it’s just winning you want then when the stars align we could still put together a winner.

My main complaint though this is just turning into pro sports. I quit watching pro sports for a reason. Feels like we are in the same path with college sports.

1 Like

It’s really going to turn into something much more cut throat & corrupt than pro sports with no guardrails to keep things under control. Pro sports has contracts, salary caps & tampering rules to help level the playing field & limit power. What’s going on in college sports is the wild west & it doesn’t look like anyone is willing to step in & clean it up.

3 Likes

NBA playoffs 4th quarter in a close game is pretty entertaining for me. Watching the best in the world when they are trying their hardest is fun to watch.

The students have a case. If players can now go make money why are out students footing the bill? And even more footing a bill to participate in a system titled so far against us?

1 Like

It can be entertaining but I got tired of spending money and time to make millionaires and billionaires more money. There are more productive ways I can spend my time and money. Between the money and the politics I just didn’t need it. When the hornets moved it killed my love of the nba.

I loved Charlotte athletics because those athletes were representing my school and we would have a common experience on campus. That’s all a total joke now.

How do we know this is true w/regard to what Nebraska did or didn’t do?

We don’t. There is nothing on Twitter referencing it that I could find and nothing that Google had picked up. Unless it came out behind a paywall on a premium section of a message board that isn’t crawled by Google, there seems to be no evidence.

I probably shoulda the word issue instead of problem to be honest