Does the name UNC Charlotte cause us to be confused with Chapel Hill?

Simple question…

http://sga.uncc.edu/node/548

It’s obvious it does. What is not obvious, is if that is the intention

I put this poll up because SGA is seriously deciding to push a name change/branding change and I’m all for it. But we have to establish some quantitative justification first.

I was told by some members of the senior UNC Charlotte administraton that “UNC doesn’t automatically register in peoples minds as Chapel Hill”

So now we’ll have some numbers to either prove them right or wrong.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;294647]I put this poll up because SGA is seriously deciding to push a name change/branding change and I’m all for it. But we have to establish some quantitative justification first.

I was told by some members of the senior UNC Charlotte administraton that “UNC doesn’t automatically register in peoples minds as Chapel Hill”

So now we’ll have some numbers to either prove them right or wrong.[/QUOTE]

Where are those Stamats results?? Didn’t they have a question on there, “What is the first thing you think of when you hear UNC Charlotte?” Some of the answers had to do with Chapel Hill right??

Where those Stamats results?? Didn't they have a question on there, "What is the first thing you think of when you hear UNC Charlotte?" Some of the answers had to do with Chapel Hill right??

Exactly. STAMATS gave us some results that said we were always confused with UNCCH. Apparently some people don’t believe those results.

I put this poll up because SGA is seriously deciding to push a name change/branding change and I'm all for it. But we have to establish some quantitative justification first.

I was told by some members of the senior UNC Charlotte administraton that “UNC doesn’t automatically register in peoples minds as Chapel Hill

So now we’ll have some numbers to either prove them right or wrong.

The fact that anytime the media speaks about Chapel Hill they use the term “UNC” doesn’t prove that they are wrong?

I was told by some members of the senior UNC Charlotte administraton that "UNC doesn't automatically register in peoples minds as Chapel Hill" .

They’re either oblivious to reality or liars.

Chapel Hell has highjacked the “UNC” as their own even though it’s the prefix to 6 other institutions in this state. To anyone with knowledge UNC doesn’t mean anything without something after it. However most people don’t know the background and when they see UNC immediately think Tarholes.

We need to set ourselves apart with a full blown branding effort that starts with a name change.

We need some real leadership on this issue because we are in a somewhat unique position due to,

[list type=decimal]
[]The UNC Board of Governors allowing UNCCH to brand themselves as “UNC”
[
]The UNC Board of Governors allowing other institutions to enter into the system but not having to change their names… ECU should be UNC-Greenville[/LIST]There are many other schools that have changed their names or branded themselves despite their names. But other school systems like UC aren’t quite as opressive because one school in California isn’t referred to as UC

clt asks again who has the copyright to unc. if it is unc chapel hill, that should be changed immediately.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;294661]We need some real leadership on this issue because we are in a somewhat unique position due to,

[list type=decimal]
[]The UNC Board of Governors allowing UNCCH to brand themselves as “UNC”
[
]The UNC Board of Governors allowing other institutions to enter into the system but not having to change their names… ECU should be UNC-Greenville[/LIST]There are many other schools that have changed their names or branded themselves despite their names. But other school systems like UC aren’t quite as opressive because one school in California isn’t referred to as UC[/QUOTE]

We are also unique in the fact that we have a ‘C’ following UNC.

Some people think UNCC=UNC-CH. Also the “CC” make people think of community college.

My arguement is that Charlotte has evolved into a large city, one which is deserving of having a university named after it.

I hate being named after another school…

We are also unique in the fact that we have a 'C' following UNC.

Some people think UNCC=UNC-CH. Also the “CC” make people think of community college.

That’s my biggest complaint, actually. Although, someone said University of Charlotte sounded like University of Phoenix… :rolleyes:

That's my biggest complaint, actually. Although, someone said University of Charlotte sounded like University of Phoenix... :rolleyes:

University of Pheonix actually sounds good.

That's my biggest complaint, actually. Although, someone said University of Charlotte sounded like University of Phoenix... :rolleyes:

Was this “someone” a tar hole fan?

Within NC, I’d say it’s 50/50 on whether telling someone you go to “UNC Charlotte” will register in their brain as UNC Chapel Hill. Meh, 50/50 is probably optimistic.

Outside of NC, it’s more like 90/10, unless they are from an A-10/C-USA School.

When interviewing at the co. I now work for in FL, a couple of the people - even though they had seen my resume prior to talking to me - when asked where I went to school (or just on their own), always said “Oh, the Tarheels…” :huh:

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;294647]I put this poll up because SGA is seriously deciding to push a name change/branding change and I’m all for it. But we have to establish some quantitative justification first.

So now we’ll have some numbers to either prove them right or wrong.[/QUOTE]

Easy. Go to a couple of bars an malls and ask about Tyler Hansborogh. Video tape it and put a big counter on the screen that counts how many times they refer to it as UNC.

In the professional world, anytime I mention I went to UNC Charlotte, people think Chapel Hill. My current boss even said a former employee of his went there as well, I later found out the former employee went to UNC Chapel Hill.

The problem is once someone hears the UNC part they start thinking Tar Heels right away, it is only natural, that is how the school has been branded whether purposely or not.

Obviously it would take time to develop an identity if we changed to the University of Charlotte, but that is better than having no identity at all.

Administration members only believe in numbers, even though there are cars driving around with big UNC stickers on them highlighted in light blue, they must think that these people are fans of the UNC System…

oh man, 35-0, [B][COLOR=red]STEM!!![/COLOR][/B]
[B][/B]
[COLOR=black]our admin needs a reality check if they think people don’t automatically associate chapel Hill to “UNC”, i mean how many times was it said last night that Boston College played “UNC” last night?[/COLOR]

I was told by some members of the senior UNC Charlotte administraton that "UNC doesn't automatically register in peoples minds as Chapel Hill"

Ahh…straight from the 'Roger Clemens School of Lying".

The simple fact that the North Carolina University System website is not www.unc.edu should be enough to convince any rationally thinking human being.