Donte Clark - Wing 2013 - Non qualifier for UMass

RT @SeanDKennedy: RT @BermanRoanoke: #Hokies hoops signee Donte Clark denied admission to Va. Tech, per source

We need a G in 2014, I’d assume that Clark is a non-qualifier for 2013. If non-qualifier, sits out a year or juco.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/courtside/

[font=comic sans ms][size=14px]Virginia Tech signee Donte Clark, who was supposed to have been a part of the Hokies for the upcoming season, has been denied admission to the university, according to a Virginia Tech source.[/size][size=14px]Clark was one of the six signees in the 2012-13 men’s basketball recruiting class, but he won’t be enrolling at Tech for summer school or for the upcoming school year. He did not meet Virginia Tech admission standards, according to a source, for academic reasons regarding his GPA and SAT.[/size] [size=14px]Clark will not be enrolling at Tech in a future year, either, said the source.Clark is still going through the NCAA Eligibility Center (formerly called the NCAA Clearinghouse) process, so it is not yet known whether he will meet NCAA freshman eligibility standards or not.Clark, a Charlotte, N.C., native who signed with Tech last fall, played as a senior for Hargrave Military Academy’s postgraduate team last season. The 6-4 Clark spent his junior year at Kennedy Charter Public School in Charlotte after transferring from Queens Guard High School in Matthews, N.C. As a junior, he had 20 points and 10 boards against Oak Hill.He reportedly also had offers from Memphis, Georgia, Charlotte, Providence, Tennessee, ECU, Clemson, Miami and UCF.Clark had been one of four contenders to succeed Erick Green at point guard, along with Marquis Rankin, signee Devin Wilson and signee Malik Mueller.With Clark not coming, Tech will have 12 scholarship players on the roster.[/size][/font]

Could we pick him up? We don’t need him to read, we need him to put the ball in the basket.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:43, topic:26613”]Could we pick him up? We don’t need him to read, we need him to put the ball in the basket.[/quote]We have 2 open 'ships, but if he’s a non-qualifier he would need to pay his own way. We’d offer in-state tuition since he’s from Charlotte. ECU did offer as well, that could be another in-state option, if he doesn’t go JUCO.

i have to imagine that his options will be more limited now and he is a pretty highly ranked kid so it would be smart to go after him even if we don’t get him until next season.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:45, topic:26613”]i have to imagine that his options will be more limited now and he is a pretty highly ranked kid so it would be smart to go after him even if we don’t get him until next season.[/quote] I’m not clear on the NCAA’s position on recruiting non qualifiers who signed with another school. He may just pay his own way, then play for Tech next year.

it was reported that he was not admitted to VT, based on the school’s requirements so it is very unlikely that he ever plays there.

it was reported that he was not admitted to VT, based on the school’s requirements so it is very unlikely that he ever plays there.[/quote][font=comic sans ms][size=4px] [/size][/font]

Clark will not be enrolling at Tech in a future year, either, said the source.

it was reported that he was not admitted to VT, based on the school’s requirements so it is very unlikely that he ever plays there.[/quote][font=comic sans ms][size=4px] [/size][/font]

Clark will not be enrolling at Tech in a future year, either, said the source.
[/quote]

A small part of me always wonders I these kid get recruited to these schools, sign the LOI, then just stop caring about HS. I remember senioritis got to me a bit towards the end of HS. I could easily see someone thinking they were a lock to go so it no longer mattered what they did.

if he doesn’t go juco, we would be a great landing spot for him. in state tuition that he would never have to pay back, playing time and get to play close to home. i think he is worth the risk.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:50, topic:26613”]if he doesn’t go juco, we would be a great landing spot for him. in state tuition that he would never have to pay back, playing time and get to play close to home. i think he is worth the risk.[/quote]He would have to pay his way the first season, just like Lester has had to do.

Well I guess if he lived at home his first year he could go to Charlotte and save a bundle.

RT @Justinbyerly: 2013 SG Donte Clark is headed to UMass.

Will graduate from UMass and transfer from program for final year. Averaged 12.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg and 2.9 apg in 2016-17, including a 30 point game vs URI and 29 vs Harvard.

He’d be a great 1 year player for us.

Missed where you added Charlotte Dad to your list of accomplishments. Congrats, Run!

Missed where you added Charlotte Dad to your list of accomplishments. Congrats, Run![/quote]
Thanks! My son makes three generations of Niners in the family!

As concerns Clark, seems to be some confusion about whether or not he said he was going to transfer. What he has done is declare for the NBA draft but will not hire an agent. Apparently weighing his options on his final year of eligibility and not ruling out sticking with UMass once he hears back on his draft stock.

Per Jon Rothstein, Clark will play for Texas Southern in 2017-18 after initially committing to Coastal Carolina.

TSU is cool. They’re fun to watch.

They’re an interesting team. (That) Coach Mike Davis (UAB) recruits freak athletes and sets up rediculously hard schedules.

Watch him win the SWAC again.

[quote=“anipalcraig, post:59, topic:26613”]TSU is cool. They’re fun to watch.

They’re an interesting team. (That) Coach Mike Davis (UAB) recruits freak athletes and sets up rediculously hard schedules.

Watch him win the SWAC again.[/quote]

No kidding! Texas Southern’s 2017-18 OOC schedule:

Nov. 11 @ Gonzaga
Nov. 13 @ Washington State
Nov. 16 @ Ohio State
Nov. 18 @ Syracuse
Nov. 21 @ Kansas
Nov. 24 @ Clemson
Nov. 30 @ Oakland
Dec. 2 @ Toledo
Dec. 11 @ Oregon
Dec. 14 @ Baylor