Duke Crews - 2006

He is an article from JJ at Rivals on him. He is from Hampton (VA),
Bethel HS.

Duke Crews - Rivals update (02/24/05)

His profile: Crews Profile

In total, he has offers from: Clemson, Florida St., St. John’s, Tenn., Virginia, Va. Tech, Xavier, G’town, Old Dominion, Rutgers.

Other schools showing interest are: North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Charlotte, Wake Forest, Connecticut, Cincy, Kentucky.

Good stuff.

49blh- Do you know what Jason is doing now? I worked with him at ESPN when he was writing for the Magazine over the summer. Is he still at ESPN?

He is a publisher for ninerreport.com, a section of Rivals.com dedicated to Charlotte 49er news. Not sure of any other sites or publications he is working for; I believe he use to work with Bob Gibbons before doing this though.

BroBian:

I’m still working with the Mag but which of my fellow interns were you in the most memorable summer in my lifetime???

Do tell… Email me jasonninerreport@hotmail.com

4/13/05

He has committed to Xavier.

He had offers from Xavier, Clemson, Florida State, Tennessee, Georgetown, Old Dominion, Rutgers, St. John’s, Virginia, and Virginia Tech.

Duke didn’t commit to Xavier, but he did visit there this past weekend.

At this point Charlotte hasn’t been involved enough early on to have a legit shot at landing this kid. He’s already begun to blow up even more since the Boo Williams Tournament.

But at this point he’s still uncommitted.

Jason,

Thanks for the message and post. You’re right. He did NOT commit to Xavier but they are still the odds-on favorite it appears, unless you know differently.

05/07/05

Scout.com update - May 6, 2005

Sounds like Xavier may still be the one to beat and the head coaches from Xavier, Virginia Tech and St. John’s are after him hard, as well as Miami, Cincinnati, Illinois, UConn, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Georgetown, Clemson, Florida State, and Rutgers. He currently has offers from Xavier, Clemson, Florida State, Georgetown, Rutgers, St. John’s, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Tennessee.

More about Crews and Xavier from the Cincy newspapers:

Two Virginia players visit XU

Muskies land one recruit Sunday

XU concentrates on high school juniors

St. Xavier’s Wolf signs to play with Muskies

07/14/05

We’re out.

His favorites now include: Cincinnati, Xavier, St. John’s, Rutgers, Maryland, Georgetown, Illinois, Virginia, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Florida and Florida State. All but Illinois and North Carolina have offered. North Carolina is closely tracking Crews, however.

From Pat Forde at ESPN.com:

[b][b]Duke Crews (6)[/b] -- One of those guys who grows on you the more you see him. Not a flashy player at 6-7 and 234 pounds, but a productive one who could excel in college as an undersized interior guy. Xavier and Florida have been in on him for a while, but the ACC pack could be closing in on this Virginian. Skip Prosser and Roy Williams were seen checking him out, with Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Virginia Tech all on the radar.[/b]
Link: [url=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2106738]ESPN.com[/url]

And the winner is Tennessee!

Per Jason Jordan of the Hampton News Daily Press

Crews chooses Tennessee

Kicked off of UT team…

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/sec/2008-05-02-tennessee-dismissals_N.htm

[QUOTE=pcon;317776]Kicked off of UT team…

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/sec/2008-05-02-tennessee-dismissals_N.htm[/QUOTE]

along with Ramar Smith

[QUOTE]“I am disappointed to announce that neither Duke Crews nor Ramar Smith will be a part of the 2008-09 University of Tennessee basketball program,” Pearl said. “Both were provided every opportunity to succeed here but have not met out expectations.”[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]“With both Ramar and Duke, we came to the conclusion that it was in their best interest to transfer to another institution in order to continue their academic and basketball careers,” Pearl said.[/QUOTE]

Dang. Kinda harsh?

But those are some pretty crappy numbers to put up after being that highly touted out of high school…

[QUOTE=gotLutz;317843]Dang. Kinda harsh?

But those are some pretty crappy numbers to put up after being that highly touted out of high school…[/QUOTE]

I always thought Crews was a solid player, as for smith…

This from Jeff Goodman…

[b]CREWS LOOKING AT PAIR[/b]

Just got off the phone with former Tennessee forward Duke Crews, who was dismissed from the Vols last month.

``I didn’t want it to turn into a big thing, so I’m just looking at a couple places,” Crews said. “I’m going to pick from two schools.”

Crews told me that he’s looking at Charlotte and Pittsburgh, but hasn’t set up visits to either school yet. Look for the 6-foot-6 sophomore to land at Charlotte.

Link: FOXSports.com

Interesting. Had not heard that. So he would sit out 2008/09 and be ready with Spears for 2009/10:

2009 – 2010
Guys we’ll lose: (Graduation) Lamont Mack (PF), Charlie Coley (PF)

Potential Roster:
Seniors: Ian Andersen (SG), Phil Jones ('C), Mike Gerrity (PG), Dijuan Harris (PG), Rashad Coleman (SG)
Juniors: Gaby Ngoundjo (PF), Anjuan Wilderness (SF), Charles Dewurst (SF), Shamari Spears ©, [COLOR=Blue]Crews (SF)?[/COLOR]
Sophomores: Shamarr Bowden (PG/SG), Javarris Barnett (SF)

Interesting. Had not heard that. So he would sit out 2008/09 and be ready with Spears for 2009/10:

2009 – 2010
Guys we’ll lose: (Graduation) Lamont Mack (PF), Charlie Coley (PF)

Potential Roster:
Seniors: Ian Andersen (SG), Phil Jones ('C), Mike Gerrity (PG), Dijuan Harris (PG), Rashad Coleman (SG)
Juniors: Gaby Ngoundjo (PF), Anjuan Wilderness (SF), Javarris Barnett (SF), Charles Dewurst (SF), Shamari Spears (C), [COLOR=blue]Crews (SF)?[/COLOR]
Sophomores: Shamarr Bowden (PG/SG)

Wouldn’t Barnett be a reshirt sophomore?