Duke Crews - 2006

[QUOTE=gotLutz;317843]But those are some pretty crappy numbers to put up after being that highly touted out of high school…[/QUOTE]

Dang. Kinda harsh? :tongue:

vs. UNC: (4-10, 10pts)
vs. Oklahoma St: (8-11, 17pts)
vs. Texas (8-13, 16pts)
vs. Miss St (6-9, 18pts)
vs. Kentucky (7-10, 18pts)
vs. Memphis (10 rebounds)
vs. Georgia (10pts, 10rebounds, 4blocks)

vs. Arkansas (4-5, 11pts; 11rebounds in 21 min)

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;322945]Wouldn’t Barnett be a reshirt sophomore?[/QUOTE] Yep, corrected.

Jeff Goodman seems pretty confident that he’s headed here. That’s interesting…

I’d say it’s a done deal after he sees the campus.

Duke Crews confuses the hell out of me. I mean, we’re talking about a 5-star recruit out of high school, right? Am I getting that right?

Quote from Bruce Pearl:

[QUOTE]“There’s a perception that I had to dismiss Ramar and Duke (Crews),” Pearl said. “That’s not accurate. There was nothing mandated for anything academic or anything with drug testing that mandated my not having those guys back. This was my choice. These guys are leaving us academically eligible.”[/QUOTE]

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/SPORTS0601/80515119

I’d like this if it were to happen. He could do some damage in the A10

Some digging around and I stumble upon a January 2008 article in a local Tennesse paper…

[SIZE=3][COLOR=black][B]Duke Crews Cleared To Return To Tennessee Basketball Team[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
by special report to The Chattanoogan

KNOXVILLE – Sophomore forward Duke Crews, who has been held out of action since Dec. 14, has been cleared by the University of Tennessee Sports Medicine staff to return to competition.

“Since identifying a concern for a [B]heart condition[/B], Duke has undergone rest, careful monitoring and more than a half dozen cardiac tests,” team physician Dr. Chris Klenck said. “These tests have been evaluated by respected cardiologists throughout the nation with extensive experience caring for professional and collegiate athletes. Based on their recommendations, Duke’s condition is compatible to a return to competition. We will continue to monitor Duke closely, as we do with all of our student-athletes.”

Crews’ condition was identified by an echocardiogram that the University of Tennessee provides to all of its student-athletes. UT partnered with Digirad Ultrascan Solutions this year to provide more than 500 free echocardiograms to student-athletes. The echocardiogram provides cardiologists with a 3D image of the heart to help identify any potential problems.

“More than anything, we are pleased that Duke is able to return,” head coach Bruce Pearl said. “We will try to get him up to speed as quickly as possible while keeping in mind that he has had no activity for more than a month.”

After being slowed early in the season by an [B]ankle injury[/B], Crews had earned a spot in the starting lineup for each of the Vols’ two games prior to being held out of competition. In his first start of the season, against Louisiana-Lafayette, the 6-foot-7 Crews had 10 points and nine rebounds, including five offensive rebounds. The Hampton, Va., native is averaging 6.5 points and 4.6 rebounds in eight games on the season.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;322955]Duke Crews confuses the hell out of me. I mean, we’re talking about a 5-star recruit out of high school, right? Am I getting that right?[/QUOTE]

Duke Crews on selecting a university:

[QUOTE]I wanted to choose a university that I could leave a mark on. You know, be known as a guy that helped get the university to a certain level, as far as nationally, and maintain that. At the end of my career, I want people to say when you think about the University of Tennessee, you think about Duke Crews, one of the great players to play there.[/QUOTE]

Duke Crews on whether he sees himself as a small forward or a power forward:

[QUOTE]Athlete. I just go out and play hard. Whoever you tell me to guard I’m going to guard and whatever you tell me to do I’m going to do.[/QUOTE]

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Duke-Crews-1187/

Crews also has a reputation of being one of Tennessee’s best defenders.

How often is Goodman accurate on his predictions? He could be helpful, but if he was a nuisance at UT what makes anyone think he’ll learn his lesson when he comes here. We seem to have a core group of guys that are getting along well, I’d hate to get a cancer.

This would be absolutely huge for us!!! Him and Spears together would do serious damage in the A-10 for sure!!! Come on Duke, you’re more than welcome here!!!

He would be a nice get but I wonder where the scholarship would come from and would like to remind everyone of Alex Vouyoukus’ quote in the Observer about being interested in Charlotte.

So, I was under the assumption we were out of schollies. How are we pulling this one off?

any more info on Crews??

This from Jeff Goodman...

side not-goodman is a good guy, got to meet him at the ncaa tourney while he covered louisville (seemed to be good friends with entire louisville coaching staff)

also, anyone notice the story above crews…“beasley to visit miami”…getting hyped about a guy maybe coming here, when the biggest downer in charlotte bball history has a story just above it…not to compare the two, hope its not a sign of something

I know we’re excited about the possibility of a 5-star kid coming here, but this guy sounds like he’s been in some trouble. Pearl booted him off the team, and I don’t think it was entirely due to low production. It sounds like this guy was a trouble maker and made some REALLY dumb decisions (but how many college kids don’t?). Yet as CharSF pointed out, we’ve already got some great chemistry going on our squad with some really class guys, and I’d hate to screw that up.

This from the Daily Press, a newspaper from where Duke Crews grew up, last month…

[B][SIZE=5]Chatter on Crews continues[/SIZE][/B]
[I]May 6, 2008[/I]

There’s plenty of talk on The LC, a message board you can call up at dailypress.com/thelc, about Duke Crews’ departure from the University of Tennessee and what he might do next and whether he might consider [URL=http://www.dailypress.com/topic/education/colleges-universities/hampton-university-OREDU0000113.topic][U][COLOR=#0066cc]Hampton University[/COLOR][/U][/URL]. Poster [I]AEK[/I] weighs in:

"Some of us are jumping the gun and drawing conclusions out of a hat. There really is no need to go flying off the handle here! The questions that marty and blue magic posed are absolutely legitimate and have to be addressed before any consideration can or should be given to taking on any transfer who has some baggage. … We all have to be willing to extend the opportunity for “redemption” to any athlete who we can determine to be deserving of that chance. You might get one guy like that one year, two the next, and none the year after that!

"Let’s not forget that this was a young man who was extremely highly recruited out of high school. And how many times have we bemoaned the fact that Hampton has not gotten a top rated basketball recruit from the local area since who knows when?

"Think of what it would mean for HU and our future recruiting in the area if HU was the place where the local high school legend redeemed his college career and helped to lead his hometown school to unprecedented post-season success while finishing school with his degree!

"Where I come from, we call that a “win-win.”

Hampton University play-by-play announcer Rob Dixon, posting as [I]r.dixon[/I], gives his view:

[B]“I truly believe this is a good kid who was in a situation he probably hadn’t found himself in before. Away from home, free and able to do whatever, a star on a high profile basketball team. … If they tested college students the way they do student-athletes, how many would test positive for marijuana? I think he has learned his lesson and I believe[/B][B] under the guidance of HU and Coach Nickelberry this kid will flourish and dominate.”[/B]

Uhh…ok…?? :huh:

I’ve seen Crews play quite a bit on tv since he first came to play for the Vols. This guy was definitely a top notch player as a freshmen. If he can get his head screwed back on and play at a higher level than what he was at during his freshmen year he would help our program tremendously. I say we should go after this guy. He’s proven that he can play well at a high level of competition. There’s no guess work in regards to his skills, don’t know if you can say that about any freshmen that Lutz would have coming in for the 09 season.

where does it say he is interested in us. id rather save the schollies for a freshmen.

where does it say he is interested in us.

Uhh…Fox Sports?

as far as transfers go this guy sounds like a good player but do we need another player that we have to sit out and wait another year for?

well…let’s see. FIVE star recruit (normally don’t give us the time of day). Sits out a year where we have two senior forwards. Plugs in the next year and has two years of eligibility. SEC experience.

Yup. I vote yes on Mr. Crews!

[QUOTE=gotLutz;323273]Uhh…Fox Sports?[/QUOTE]

i didnt read the first page.