Duke Crews - 2006

well...let's see. FIVE star recruit (normally don't give us the time of day). Sits out a year where we have two senior forwards. Plugs in the next year and has two years of eligibility. SEC experience.

Yup. I vote yes on Mr. Crews!

qft

He will be comming in right after Coley and Mack graduate. Perfect timing. I have a buddy who is a big Tennessee fan, and he says Crews would eat the A-10 alive. Plays great defense and goes after rebounds like there’s no tomorrow apparently.
Bring him in!!

qft

He will be comming in right after Coley and Mack graduate. Perfect timing. I have a buddy who is a big Tennessee fan, and he says Crews would eat the A-10 alive. Plays great defense and goes after rebounds like there’s no tomorrow apparently.
Bring him in!!

He’s gonna produce here, period. That’s all fine and dandy. But what about all the other stuff? One reporter used marijuana as an example to tell Duke Crews’ story. He was kicked off of a basketball team despite producing 10+ points every game, and we assume it was for his behavior. I mean, is this not something we should be concerned about?

[QUOTE=gotLutz;323557]He’s gonna produce here, period. That’s all fine and dandy. But what about all the other stuff? One reporter used marijuana as an example to tell Duke Crews’ story. He was kicked off of a basketball team despite producing 10+ points every game, and we assume it was for his behavior. I mean, is this not something we should be concerned about?[/QUOTE]

no

He's gonna produce here, period. That's all fine and dandy. But what about all the other stuff? One reporter used marijuana as an example to tell Duke Crews' story. He was kicked off of a basketball team despite producing 10+ points every game, and we assume it was for his behavior. I mean, is this not something we should be concerned about?

Oh heavens no, not marijuana.

This is possible. Crews is def interested and it’s being sorted out. Crews, Spears with our current guys would do some serious damage.

COME ON DUKE! This would be huge guys. Sometimes it pays off to take a chance on a guy. It really is possible that it could pay off for both parties.

We know how dependable ratings are…
His 5-star rating was nearly 3 years ago (before ever playing D1 Basketball)

He also had/has a heart condition that kept him from playing early last year.
He was kicked off of the Vols’ team…not for one or two games…but forever!!
He is rumored to have character issues (something character related is the reason he got the boot - be it drugs or attitude or both)
He will be yet another in a long line of 2yr transfers (instead of someone that can develop over 4yrs)

Oh yeah…and this 5 star stud averaged 5pts per game last year

Would someone like to explain to me why exactly we should be excited about this?

Not sure about anyone else…but
ANOTHER 2yr transfer with character issues and a heart condition that averaged 5pts per game as a Sophomore doesn’t really get me all that juiced up.

[QUOTE=TRLeader;323575]We know how dependable ratings are…
His 5-star rating was nearly 3 years ago (before ever playing D1 Basketball)

He is rumored to have character issues (something character related is the reason he got the boot - be it drugs or attitude or both)
He will be yet another in a long line of 2yr transfers (instead of someone that can develop over 4yrs)

Would someone like to explain to me why exactly we should be excited about this?

ANOTHER 2yr transfer with character issues and a heart condition that averaged 5pts per game as a Sophomore doesn’t really get me all that juiced up.[/QUOTE]

last two year transfer we had from the state of tennessee broke the carrier dome record for 3 points scored in a game?

and was the most deadly 3 point shooter we’ve ever seen.

lutz is a good coach. he’s had players with character issues in the past and has fixed those and made them mature in strong outstanding citizens.

last two year transfer we had from the state of tennessee broke the carrier dome record for 3 points scored in a game?

and was the most deadly 3 point shooter we’ve ever seen.

lutz is a good coach. he’s had players with character issues in the past and has fixed those and made them mature in strong outstanding citizens.

DAX IS MY MF’N BOYYYYY!!!

The only character issues I know of never got fixed…except for Vince leaving…and I don’t think you can credit Lutz for that.

Last year’s team was so refreshing because of the comraderie and the joy they played with. They had personal, team and school pride and actually looked like they enjoyed playing the game…playing with each other and playing for this school.

One bad apple can ruin the bunch. And this bad apple has a heart condition and very modest numbers to boot.

I just don’t share everyone’s excitement.

I hope I’m wrong.

DAX IS STILL MY MF’N BOYYY!!!

[QUOTE=TRLeader;323581]DAX IS MY MF’N BOYYYYY!!!

The only character issues I know of never got fixed…except for Vince leaving…and I don’t think you can credit Lutz for that.

Last year’s team was so refreshing because of the comraderie and the joy they played with. They had personal, team and school pride and actually looked like they enjoyed playing the game…playing with each other and playing for this school.

One bad apple can ruin the bunch. And this bad apple has a heart condition and very modest numbers to boot.

I just don’t share everyone’s excitement.

I hope I’m wrong.

DAX IS STILL MY MF’N BOYYY!!![/QUOTE]

oh really?

i can give you 3 examples off the top of my head right now…

Demon Brown…

Curtis Withers…

Butter Johnson…

the only one i know that didn’t get fixed under lutz was CJ pigford

we also had two bad apples that lutz couldn’t manage and they were gone faster than lutz can find a pot of gold. I’ve learned guys always deserve a second chance. Plus the guy was playing in the SEC. Level of competition is a little different there than a guard oriented A10.

I wouldn’t worry about the heart condition. I’m quite sure that he’ll be given a thorough physical to diagnose any health problems.
As for being kicked off the vols team, its really easy to kick off a player thats been out of commission for most of the season that has been replaced with 4 star and 5 star level recruits. Bruce Pearl has plenty of talent and plenty of great recruits coming in to make up for the loss of Crews and the other kid.
If he wasn’t recruiting so well and wasn’t fresh off a sweet 16 appearance do you really think he would have let those two players go??
In relation to deveoping players for 4 years, there are alot of guys that have played at Charlotte and elsewhere that have done absolutely nothing with their four years of college basketball. Make no mistake, Crews is a true talent. The only reason why this guy lost playing time and production last year is because he was hurt. Before that I felt like he was one of the better freshmen I had seen come into the SEC in a long time.

We know how dependable ratings are.... His 5-star rating was nearly 3 years ago (before ever playing D1 Basketball)

ANOTHER 2yr transfer with character issues and a heart condition that averaged 5pts per game as a Sophomore doesn’t really get me all that juiced up.

So who loses their schollie for us to get this guy?

Dewhurst could become a “regular” student. If his parents could pay for Latin, they can pay for him to attend Charlotte.

Dewhurst could become a "regular" student. If his parents could pay for Latin, they can pay for him to attend Charlotte.

Dude, that would never happen.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;323198]and made some REALLY dumb decisions (but how many college kids don’t?). Yet as CharSF pointed out, we’ve already got some great chemistry going on our squad with some really class guys, and I’d hate to screw that up.

Uhh…ok…?? :huh:[/QUOTE]

Hampton? Where the hell did that come from? Crews himself said that he was only looking at two schools: Pitt & Charlotte. HAMPTON? Uhh…ok.

Tyree Evans still hasn’t commited anywhere - but I don’t want him at all. Even with a negative 1st impression, it seems like the more you dig, the more ‘red flags’ you find on him.

With Crews, it’s the opposite. There is a LOT of speculation and a LOT of rumors. And yet his coach speaks well of his character. Pearl has said [B][URL=http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/SPORTS0601/80515119]on the record[/URL][/B] that there were no recent failed drug tests and that Crews’ academics are good. There’s no burned bridges and the fans seemed to appreciate watching him play. The heart condition was mis-diagnosed. The report that Crews was dismissed from the team was also inaccurate - he agreed to transfer out to another school.

Crews also doesn’t try to bull***t anyone into believing that he was a choir boy in his first year of college, either. He readily admits mistakes and seems to want to move on:

[QUOTE]Yes, Tennessee forward Duke Crews will be leaving Knoxville for good at the end of the semester, but it won’t be because he was dismissed from the team as early reports suggested, he said.

“Coach (Bruce) Pearl and I agreed that I should transfer,” said Crews, a former Bethel High star. “All of the negative stuff that I’ve been reading is really old. There wasn’t anything current that would’ve been a reason for a dismissal. It was just a lot of little things from the past that piled up.”

Crews said that ESPN.com’s report on May 2, which stated that multiple failed drug tests led to he and teammate Ramar Smith’s dismissal from the team, was inaccurate.

He added that he hasn’t had “any negative incidents” since being suspended for a month before the start of the season when small amounts of marijuana were found in his on-campus apartment. Charges were never filed against Crews.

“I’ve definitely made some mistakes, don’t get me wrong,” Crews said. “But for the last six months or longer, things have been fine. I’m in good academic standing, so I don’t know where the report about the grade issues came from. And coach Pearl said he would speak positively on my character to any coach in the country.”

Crews missed nine games earlier in the season after being misdiagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a heart condition blamed for the sudden death of more than a hundred athletes each year. Doctors later concluded that Crews just had an athletic heart, which is normal.

“It’s just tough to read all of this stuff and have people think that I didn’t learn from the past,” Crews said. “It’s all old. I take full responsibility though. I’m leaving here on a good note.”

Crews’ mother Louise Patrick was also “bothered” when the initial reports surfaced about Crews because of the timing.

“It wasn’t something that he just did, it was small things piled up,” Patrick said. “We’re just going to use this as a learning tool and move on. Like I told Duke, the reason that rearview mirrors are so small is because all of that stuff you see is behind you. We’re just going to look out of the front windshield at this point.”

Crews averaged 5.4 points and 4.0 rebounds this season and expects his release to be granted as early as Tuesday. That’s when college coaches can put the full-court press on Crews, who will have two years of eligibility left.

“The main thing I would tell people, especially kids coming up, is not to put yourself in the position to be looked at in a negative light,” Crews said.

“I made mistakes in the past and that’s my fault, but at this point I’m moving on. I have a positive outlook.”[/QUOTE]

http://wap.dailypress.mlogic3g.com/detail.jsp?key=146679&rc=sp&full=1

I have no issues whatsoever if Crews comes to Charlotte. I really hope he does. Perhaps the basketball gods want to make amends after Beasley-gate.

Some of y’all are calling his numbers crappy. I don’t know what you’re talking about… considering the ankle and number of minutes he got.

[media]http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/tag/stats[/media]

He could be a beast and we could be dangerous.

I think I found the reason he left UT. He was getting bad seats at the football games…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUQ6G4_lR9s

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;323594]So who loses their schollie for us to get this guy?[/QUOTE]

This is the question that needs to be answered. We will have a schollie available for the first year he plays, but not for next season unless somebody gives one up. I don’t see him paying his own way to come play for us.

[QUOTE=pcon;323626]I think I found the reason he left UT. He was getting bad seats at the football games…
[/QUOTE]

We’ll never have football here so this won’t be a problem.

49x and Moss

you don’t yank scholarships. They are a 4 yr deal, as long as your grades keep up.

you can run players off like last year, but NOBODY from our current squad deserves that to “open a spot up”