ECU Athletics operating at a loss

We will never take you seriously because when your team sucks, you disappear for years until things might be better.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say Houston will be a success just yet. Many coaches have great resumes and for whatever reason they fail at the next level. He is no more of a shoe in than any other new hire at this point. ECU has no room to wait and see if he stumbles. The fans that have come back since he was hired will be gone quickly if they don’t succeed quickly.

That’s exactly why I was never on board for firing Ruff who wanted to retire here. He should have had EXTRA time, not the quick trigger he got. I don’t think everything completely dependent on winning. Probably some of the fans bitter about Ruff like myself that haven’t been to a game since will comeback. I think a lot of the problem just the bitter taste left after that and boycotting to get rid of the AD for as bad as he bungled it.

I only know what I have read in the papers. We do know that ECU spends a lot more than they make. We do know that ECU has declining enrollment, which reduces revenue from student fees. We do know that ECU has pulled money from a non-athletic account and moved it to athletics to close the gap. The athletic debt was reported as $20 million, but now it seems the money transferred was more like $13.2 million. Does this mean ECU athletics is still $7 million in the hole? Or does it mean that it was not as bad as initially reported? I have no idea, and this is probably why the BOT and BOG are asking questions. Unless ECU has a revenue stream that is untapped, and unidentified, then I would say they ARE completely dependent on winning to get into the black. Wins mean more ticket sales, parking, concessions and more donations. Perhaps even a turn around in enrollment. If ECU has another plan to increase athletic revenues I have not read about that.

I think the success rate is pretty high for people winning like he did at lower levels, look at Brian Kelly. Who are these guys that won huge and then completely failed. I recall a guy at Wyoming that came from Montana I recall but most seem to have success and either way it beats hiring an assistant that’s never run a program IMO.

Also hee has several guys on staff that were already at ECU and helped contribute to high levels of winning. Kirkpatrick the OC here now and at JMU was here for over a decade under both Skip and Ruff as the recruiting coordinator for both and spent many years learning Riley’s Air Raid and was OC at Louisville and a head coach at Chattanogga too. It’s not just the head coach as to the reason I expect to turn it around.

It’s relative and it’s not like your team was any better or a reason I haven’t been around. It had more to do with I disappeared off of every board for 2 years ECU’s included and boycotted the program until the AD was gone it was that big of a disaster. Most of the mess seems to have been cleaned up at this point though.

It’s my understanding that the AAC’s new television deal will bring in an additional $5 million beginning in 20-21 and running through 31-32. I haven’t heard if there are plans to renegotiate with UConn leaving.

It doesn’t, we would actually get a bigger cut from the TV deal as well as some exit fees. Not that it is a good thing though because I absolutely believe it’s not long term to lose a program like UConn even if they haven’t done anything lately.

Sometimes people and entities really don’t mind being boycotted. This is one of those times.

1 Like

If ECU has a few bucks in the piggy bank, how about updating Boneyard Banter. I haven’t seen a site that bad since bulletin boards/dial up modems/Netscape were things.

We also didn’t go away for years

It really is one of the worst formats I’ve ever seen.

clt says boneyard banter is the perfect chat page for ecu.

Hey I give our resident Greenville idiot credit. ECU basketball is trash, has been trash and always will be trash but he fights the good fight. Our basketball has been dead in the water for over a decade and we’ve still been better than ECU, but yet he’s here supporting his guys delusional he may be.

1 Like

He is their Bagdad Bob, for sure.

If it wasn’t for irrational fans, lord knows we wouldn’t be here. We haven’t had anything to cheer about in 15 years.

This idiot is a fair weather irrational fan. That’s what I can’t take.

And his team has literally never had a good season. Never. They got lucky in the conference tourney twice.

If I were irrational and thought everything was great why would I have literally called it a disaster and made the choice to walk away for 2+ years until changes were made. That makes no sense. What’s funny is you dudes say you don’t want me around and then it’s where you been.

I happened to see this thread a couple times a year apart and commented in passing both times after you guys try to painted the grimmest of pictures that really doesn’t exist. What are they going to do repo the stadium and kick us out of the AAC? Come on.

ECU is still in as good of a spot as we’ve ever been right now with leadership and in the AAC so we must have done something right the last decade. It isn’t like it was our market that got us there. While we’ve sucked for years some how for all our ineptitude progress has still been made. There seems to be a viable path with new proven coaches, great conference, TV, facilites etc to do much better moving forward. I don’t know what is so delusional about that.

For the record: we would welcomed your absence and look forward to its return.

Wonderful, send Clayton man the memo.

I don’t want you around because you are full of crap and came into my dm’s on the other board after I ragged on ECU’s basketball program. Bush league.

I’m ready for you to disappear for two years or more.