ECU Athletics operating at a loss

More like 4 or 5 years over here, and I was probably directed to take it off the board. You still mad over something from a half decade ago.

You are the only ECU basketball fan in the world. And you have to come here because even ECU fans donā€™t want to talk ECU hoops.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not true. ECU 247 is pumping out articles nearly every 2 days lately on the basketball team lately and thereā€™s tons of discussion, probably more people excited about the prospects of the basketball team than the football team this year and thatā€™s not even an exaggeration. Iā€™ve seen your mods link several of the articles in fact on the OOC thread.

There wasnā€™t much I liked about Dooleyā€™s first off season and 1st year back and my negative feelings about it are well known over there BTW. The way he blew it up this year and rebuilt however Iā€™m very pleased with where we are now. Itā€™s what I expected more of last year.

Iā€™m not mad. You came after me because I was schooling you on the board.

I havenā€™t thought about it since.

So take five more years off.

You are a front running ECU basketball fan. And yes that is an oxymoron.

We all sat here through price and major ball. Go back to your shanty.

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Board/59438/Contents/PR1250s-L5-with-Harry-Smith-723-133870565/

Per Harry Smith, ECU athletics is scheduled to lose $12.1 million this year, $9.5 million the following year and $6 million the year after. The previous operating budget resulted in a loss of around $600-800K annually. Until these losses started to hit over the last handful of years.

Is there no BOT/BOG oversight here? Why is this allowed to happen?

Proved me wrong, he made it 2 whole years there. Heā€™s leaving to go back to the prep ranks instead of landing all those nba guys in Greenville.

Maybe his paycheck bounced.

You should have posted the Jeff Goodman tweet who broke the story where he detailed why. His wife has cancer, they lived in that community for years and he wonā€™t have to be on the road as much. Itā€™s not like heā€™s taking a better job, this is pretty clearly for the reasons stated.

Well that takes the fun out of the jab. Certainly wouldnā€™t have posted that had I saw the reason why.

I think we are now seeing how fast some changes may happen in college sports now with schools dropping teams, WAC dropping tournaments, etc. I can see some regional conferences happening sooner rather than later with TV deals not the big concern. Colleges are suppose to be for learning first as much as that pains me and schools cannot afford the drain that some athletic programs are having on their schools.

Schools that are barely staying at the level they are now may need to drop down a level even if it is for 5 years and then come back. CUSA/Sun Belt need to put something together so teams are not traveling to Texas for a volleyball match. We are not the only conference with these issues and would expect over next couple of months to see more conversations/changes.

1 Like

Iā€™m skeptical there will even be a season next year with fans in the stands or that a lot of schools wonā€™t have financial problems. It seem inevitable.

Take it for what itā€™s worth but I heard 2 months ago we might be an off ramp for Danny Manning even before he got fired. They were talking a consulting position at that point . He and Dooley worked together at Kansas and he made 60 million in the NBA, doubt money is a driving factor for him if he just wants to work.

We already had Silvey Dominguez as a consultant last year traveling with the team whoā€™s a long time assistant coach at USC, Washington State, Utah, New Mexico etc etc and were paying Potasnak who we demoted last summer to sit at home coming off the books.

I donā€™t know who gets the position but there are options between promoting Dominguez or DeMasi who has D2 assistant experience and was a Player Develop Coach a position most schools donā€™t have. Also Tyler Lewis (Rick Lewisā€™s) son was the video coordinator here two years ago too, and is now an assistant at Elon, I could see bringing him back too with the kind of connections and recruiting heā€™s doing there.

I fully endorse ECU picking up Danny Manning so he can implement all that he knows about coaching there. I also support your decisions to have consultants on staff that travel with the team and coaches who no longer coach on the payroll. You have to spend money to make money, right? This approach will assuredly help ECU dig itself out of the financial hole it finds itself in. Keep spending money like drunken pirates and everything will be just fine!

2 Likes

Weā€™ll Assistant Coach Danny Manning I think would be different animal than Head Coach Danny Manning. Heā€™s been one of the best assistant coaches in the country before and has helpful fresh NC ties. I think there are other good internal options though as many qualified people as we had on the payroll just to promote with in. That seems like it could have been the plan all along to keep qualified people around the program in created position as insurance in case someone like Chillious or Roccaforte did leave eventually albeit not for the reasons he did.

Danny Manning isnā€™t going to Greenville.

Manning was an assistant under HC Bill Self at Kansas. Self could make me look like a top-notch assistant, but if you want to attribute any of their success to Manning that is fine. Let me say it again, I hope Manning goes to ECU and joins the team.

1 Like

Manning would be a great asset to EZU. I fully endorse this hire as well. :100:

I canā€™t imagine why anyone who made 60 million in the NBA would ever move to Greenville.

Roccaforte was the top assistant for an NCAA Virginia Tech team when we hired him away to take a lesser position here. He was the 3rd bannana assistant on our staff behind Chillious. I bet you would have said that would happen either.

Iā€™m just telling you what I heard several months ago before there was an opening. Personally Iā€™d rather just promote Roccaforte as a show of good faith and keep him happy because I think heā€™s been the best recruiter on staff. Just promote him to Associate Head coach and bring Tyler Lewis back or some one like that is more the way to go IMO.