ECU vs Charlotte

A lot apparently because just about every basketball coach in America at any school that has a football program takes their basketball recruits to the football game in the fall period (which is the most important recruiting period BTW). I’d wager when you get yours up and running you’ll see your BB coach at football games with BB recruits at your games too. Hard to argue that showing anyone 50k fans at an athletic event, that could be behind him too doesn’t make an impression or that they don’t leave with a big time feel. It has to help and I just pointed it out to your fan saying we took him to wal mart or something. Where did you guys take him?

ECU's basketball program is mediocre at best
Poor actually, but there is some spotty success to give reason to believe we can be successful eventually and in athletics you are only as good as your next coach really, and we both have new ones. It's a lot easier for a coach to get 2 players and turn a basketball program than needing dozens of good players on both sides of the ball in football. Good luck building that and those facilities, paying coaches, it a FAR bigger task. Williams would be a good start. in turning this around
and it goes to prove that just because you have a large fanbase doesn't equate to having a good basketball team.
It does equate to money though, and we can throw a lot more money at fixing the problems these days than in the past when we didn't have decent facilities and paid our BB coach bread crumbs while we funneled all our resources into football. That's all changing and football is funneling back into the rest of the programs now, and a big reason the fans are behind all the program and the overall budget is in good shape donations are tops of the non BCS, and can brng the other programs along now.

We got $6.5 million raised the last 2 years and move forward ,when we hit the half way point soon, on the $15 million dollar practice facility. We also pay Lebo about 600k which is 2.5 times what we were paying our last coach. Certainly getting more serious about basketball.

That’s great that you guys can finally start spending money on hoops. We already have fantastic facilities, and a much much more succesful and highly regarded program than you do.

We won 19 games last season, were on the verge of being ranked in the top 25, but absolutely crapped the bed down the stretch and finished 19-12. At ECU, that’d be a banner year. At Charlotte, it got our coach fired. Our coah who was an alum and had the most wins in the program’s history at that.

Different expectations.

I’ll give it to Jonesing for being a fan and for seeing what the situation is. ECU could turn things around, but for that to happen, IMHO, you guys need to sink a ton of money into the program. A new practice facility would help.

There is a reason you take recruits to football games, you don’t want them to see what the basketball games are like.

[quote=“2k, post:23, topic:23923”]I’ll give it to Jonesing for being a fan and for seeing what the situation is. ECU could turn things around, but for that to happen, IMHO, you guys need to sink a ton of money into the program. A new practice facility would help.

There is a reason you take recruits to football games, you don’t want them to see what the basketball games are like.[/quote]

Exactly this

The situation I see is we both have new coaches, and honestly I’d personally much rather have Lebo than an unknown, getting his on the job training at this point. You don’t know what you got, all you know right now is that he’s in a dog fight for your first big recruit in your backyard no less with Lebo and ECU. I don’t think we are as far behind as you’d guys like to believe.

you guys need to sink a ton of money into the program. A new practice facility would help.

The only non-BCS school with more support than us is BYU. We are in a position to throw money at it now because football is the cash cow, if nothing else and are starting to.

There is a reason you take recruits to football games, you don't want them to see what the basketball games are like.

Timing. What basketball games are you going to be taking him to this fall, in the crucial time most of the players we recruit make their commits. Same in football. The coaches always take them to a basketball game too and that’s not because we are hiding something. It’s timing of the signing period and when you are bringing them on campus. It is important.

Boise State, TCU, Utah, and possibly Houston.

Notre Dame, Boise State, TCU, Utah, and possibly Houston.[/quote]

Yea, I was about to call mega-bullshit on that one. My brother is an alum of ECU, loves the school, but when it’s basketball season ECU doesn’t exist. You could say that about us with football season, but shit, we all know the reason why there.

I’m thinking you could add a few other teams to that list 2k.

Well if taking a recruit to see a game is such a huge requirement I guess we could find somewhere to take him on a Fall weekend to see a game. Where could that be… Oh yeah thats right we have a NFL team in our backyard. Now before you start the arguement about apples to oranges I would go out on a limb and say we have more fans at a Panthers game show up at Halton than you have at one of your home games that go to your …arena…would that describe it… for arguemnent sake…I guess so.

If you have 50K of such rabid fans why is it so hard to support your BB program?

Better start milking that cash cow sooner rather than later before that milk starts to sour.

That pretty much says it all right there.

I really like ECU. I root for the Football team- love it when they used to beat NCSU. Their bball does suck, guess that’s why they recruited me 25 yrs ago.

They typically hate the ACC as much as we do also.

Lebo is more of a known quantity. He’s gotten 2 of his last 3 teams into the NIT in his 12 years of being a head coach. I can see why ECU fans are really excited about him.

A lot apparently because just about every basketball coach in America at any school that has a football program takes their basketball recruits to the football game in the fall period (which is the most important recruiting period BTW). I’d wager when you get yours up and running you’ll see your BB coach at football games with BB recruits at your games too. Hard to argue that showing anyone 50k fans at an athletic event, that could be behind him too doesn’t make an impression or that they don’t leave with a big time feel. It has to help and I just pointed it out to your fan saying we took him to wal mart or something. Where did you guys take him? [/quote]

ECU has been taking basketball recruits to football games for years. How has that worked out for you?

EDIT: Looks like 9erken summed it up fairly well

[quote=“9erken, post:14, topic:23923”]ECU has ended up with a losing record for the last 9 straight years (including 6-24 in 06-07), last made the tournament 17 years ago, the last 2 NCAA tournament trips were 1st round exits, has not had an at-large bid in the last 45 years (have they ever, I couldn’t find records going back further), and over the last 45 years has had a losing record 31 times, finished .500 twice, and had a winning record 12 times (barely in most years, and last time this happened was '97). Edit: one other quick figure - in those 12 seasons, they never had more than 19 wins. Charlotte fired our coach last year after he won 19 games.

Check my math, but even if slightly off, this is monumentally bad. I’d stick to trumpeting the football.[/quote]

That pretty much says it all right there.[/quote]

Nice

Love how he just blew past 9erken’s evisceration of him

Yeah but he did not have a rabid fan base with a cash cow football program behind him at his last stop. ;D

Why I have always looked at them with a friendly eye- never had a beef with ECU at all. Their fans are typically good people.

Also- I’ve also completely gotten out of the shit talking game till we make the dance. Arguing whose non NCAA tournament team is shittier just isn’t any fun.

Why I have always looked at them with a friendly eye- never had a beef with ECU at all. Their fans are typically good people.

Also- I’ve also completely gotten out of the s*** talking game till we make the dance. Arguing whose non NCAA tournament team is shittier just isn’t any fun.
[/quote

So true. Reality bitch slap. We need to win soon or we might be like ACC fans talking about early 80’s basketball like it is the here and now.[/quote]

Boise State, TCU, Utah, and possibly Houston.[/quote]

Only Utah of those teams has a comparable fanbase and they are going to the PAC 10. Those other schools you named barely draw over 30k fans for good teams, not the 50k we are getting now. BYU is the only non bcs school with a larger fanbase…

As for Lebo he was fired at Auburn but he wasn’t a total failure there. They where on probation when he took over and just two years ago he won 24 games which was 2nd most in school history.At both of his other lower level stops he won big. One of those hadn’t won 20 games in 50 years, and he won 27 there.

He has enough positive head coachinh history imo to believe he can be successful at this level.His knock was always recruiting not x’s and o’s, so if he’s going head to head with your coach in his backyard already in recruiting that’s a good sign IMO.

Boise State, TCU, Utah, and possibly Houston.[/quote]

Only Utah of those teams has a comparable fanbase and they are going to the PAC 10. Those other schools you named barely draw over 30k fans for good teams, not the 50k we are getting now. BYU is the only non bcs school with a larger fanbase…

As for Lebo he was fired at Auburn but he wasn’t a total failure there. They where on probation when he took over and just two years ago he won 24 games which was 2nd most in school history.At both of his other lower level stops he won big. One of those hadn’t won 20 games in 50 years, and he won 27 there.

He has enough positive head coachinh history imo to believe he can be successful at this level.His knock was always recruiting not x’s and o’s, so if he’s going head to head with your coach in his backyard already in recruiting that’s a good sign IMO.[/quote]

Personally, I would love to start a series with you guys and play every year. No offense, but it would typically be a win for us (at least back in the old days) and would start an in-state rivalry that could carry to Football in 5 or so years. It typically would be a win for you in the first years as well.

EZU sucks, that’s why they hired a retread. They are satisfied with where they are in the athletic world.

I like this. We need more of other schools’ fans coming on here acting like idiots. Somehow I have a feeling it would make ours own fans act like idiots on here less often.