ECU vs Charlotte

More likely our football stadium with 50k passionate pirate fans in it this past weekend. Not sure where you guys or Cof C took him on your september visits, but I would think you’d have a hard time matching that in demonstrating fan passion and the massive potential of what could be behind the basketball program with any success. Hopefully after experiencing it and seeing the new vison/commitment and plans for the $15 million dollar practice facility we’ll likely break ground on next year, he wants to come here and be one of the guys that helps turn it around with Lebo.

3 star on ESPN and graded higher than Terrance Williams by that service and also from Charlotte.

ESPN Writeup: “December, 2009: Roberts will be a top 15 player in the loaded 2011 class in North Carolina. Roberts is a “lights out” 3-point shooter and is a long and athletic 6’2 shooting guard. He does have good ball handling skills and would make a nice combo guard. In addition to being. In addition to being an outstanding offensive player, Roberts is a solid defender. When Roberts played for the Carolina Flight, he was always one of the best defenders. Right now, Roberts needs to gain more strength and muscle to become a high level player. That being said, Roberts will be a major coup for someone at the mid major plus level.”

Lebo seems to be doing pretty well in your back yard.

oooh somebody is moody

More likely our football stadium with 50k passionate pirate fans in it this past weekend. Not sure where you guys or Cof C took him on your september visits, but I would think you’d have a hard time matching that in demonstrating fan passion and the massive potential of what could be behind the basketball program with any success. Hopefully after experiencing it and seeing the new vison/commitment and plans for the $15 million dollar practice facility we’ll likely break ground on next year, he wants to come here and be one of the guys that helps turn it around with Lebo.

3 star on ESPN and graded higher than Terrance Williams by that service and also from Charlotte.

ESPN Writeup: “December, 2009: Roberts will be a top 15 player in the loaded 2011 class in North Carolina. Roberts is a “lights out” 3-point shooter and is a long and athletic 6’2 shooting guard. He does have good ball handling skills and would make a nice combo guard. In addition to being. In addition to being an outstanding offensive player, Roberts is a solid defender. When Roberts played for the Carolina Flight, he was always one of the best defenders. Right now, Roberts needs to gain more strength and muscle to become a high level player. That being said, Roberts will be a major coup for someone at the mid major plus level.”

Lebo seems to be doing pretty well in your back yard.[/quote]

Oh damn, we just got told.

ECU has had nothing more than ‘potential’ in basketball in like 100 years. Nothing will really change that. I mean, your basketball program has pretty much had as much success as our football program. Sad but true.

Lebo seems to be doing pretty well in your back yard.[/quote]

When it comes to football Saturdays in Greenville, we’ve got nothing to say. You guys bring it down there, no doubt about it. However all your basketball program has going for it is a Tar Heel retread for a coach. Speaking of back yards, we’ll see how well we do in yours on December 1st.

:smiley:

When you do get together lower level football it still won’t even be close to comparable even then. Judging on how close you were to not even getting it off the ground and slashing the original plans to do so, you’re decades away from that conversation at best.

Our basketball has also already proven it can go to NCAA’s, beat top 25 teams, have NBA draft picks, etc. We aren’t that far behind you guys even now in the things outside of wins, have been in the same conference as recently as 5 years ago, beat you head to head plenty of times, and already put a decent amount of fans in the stands most years without much success.

That’s even after decades of “robbing peter to pay paul” to build the football program. Its a far more expensive endeavor as you are finding out. Now we are in a position we can actually take football profit and the fan base its built to help hoops (ie, practice facility).

If I were picking one to be better at it would be football far and away because its the big boy sport that drives athletics. How long would it take you to get 100k fans in the stands at 40-50 bucks a pop, in basketball? It took us 2 games so far. Lot more potiental to help the other sport along than vice versa.

As far as the “retread”, just because you can’t win in a major conference doesn’t mean you can’t win at this level. Melvin Watkins? I think Lebo’s proven enough to make me feel ok he won’t fall on his face, and I’d much rather have him than the unknown you hired. I expect a lot more of these recruiting battles moving foward.

Stilljimjonesin has for sure drunk the kool aid.

5 times.

3 times in the 80s.

Once in the 90s.

Once in the past decade.

I see that the mothership has one caught in its tractor beam. How long before you convince ECU to change its color to light blue?

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:7, topic:23923”]When you do get together lower level football it still won’t even be close to comparable even then. Judging on how close you were to not even getting it off the ground and slashing the original plans to do so, you’re decades away from that conversation at best.

Our basketball has also already proven it can go to NCAA’s, beat top 25 teams, have NBA draft picks, etc. We aren’t that far behind you guys even now in the things outside of wins, have been in the same conference as recently as 5 years ago, beat you head to head plenty of times, and already put a decent amount of fans in the stands most years without much success.

That’s even after decades of “robbing peter to pay paul” to build the football program. Its a far more expensive endeavor as you are finding out. Now we are in a position we can actually take football profit and the fan base its built to help hoops (ie, practice facility).

If I were picking one to be better at it would be football far and away because its the big boy sport that drives athletics. How long would it take you to get 100k fans in the stands at 40-50 bucks a pop, in basketball? It took us 2 games so far. Lot more potiental to help the other sport along than vice versa.

As far as the “retread”, just because you can’t win in a major conference doesn’t mean you can’t win at this level. Melvin Watkins? I think Lebo’s proven enough to make me feel ok he won’t fall on his face, and I’d much rather have him than the unknown you hired. I expect a lot more of these recruiting battles moving foward.[/quote]

This whole post is hilarious :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: …uhhh, what----he was serious… ???

ECU showed him a football game. We simply showed him ECU’s 4 NCAA tournaments in 45 years and pointed out they have 1 in the last 20 years.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:7, topic:23923”]When you do get together lower level football it still won’t even be close to comparable even then. Judging on how close you were to not even getting it off the ground and slashing the original plans to do so, you’re decades away from that conversation at best.

As far as the “retread”, just because you can’t win in a major conference doesn’t mean you can’t win at this level. Melvin Watkins? I think Lebo’s proven enough to make me feel ok he won’t fall on his face, and I’d much rather have him than the unknown you hired. I expect a lot more of these recruiting battles moving foward.[/quote]

What does having a successful football program have anything to do with basketball recruiting? ECU’s basketball program is mediocre at best and it goes to prove that just because you have a large fanbase doesn’t equate to having a good basketball team. The part that you are leaving out is the fact that when a recruit comes and sees Charlotte, they see a beautiful campus with great architecture. The second you go into Greenville there is a much different vibe. I’ve walked across your campus at night and let me tell you, it is not the place you want to be at 3 in the morning. There are more crackheads than students out. So IMO my personal safety would be a huge consideration when taking my official visit somewhere.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:7, topic:23923”]Our basketball has also already proven it can go to NCAA’s, beat top 25 teams, have NBA draft picks, etc. We aren’t that far behind you guys even now in the things outside of wins, have been in the same conference as recently as 5 years ago, beat you head to head plenty of times, and already put a decent amount of fans in the stands most years without much success.[/quote] It’s great you have pride in your university. But this characterization of your basketball team would make Baghdad Bob blush.

ECU has ended up with a losing record for the last 9 straight years (including 6-24 in 06-07), last made the tournament 17 years ago, the last 2 NCAA tournament trips were 1st round exits, has not had an at-large bid in the last 45 years (have they ever, I couldn’t find records going back further), and over the last 45 years has had a losing record 31 times, finished .500 twice, and had a winning record 12 times (barely in most years, and last time this happened was '97). Edit: one other quick figure - in those 12 seasons, they never had more than 19 wins. Charlotte fired our coach last year after he won 19 games.

Check my math, but even if slightly off, this is monumentally bad. I’d stick to trumpeting the football.

I think Baghdad Bob did blush. Jheez.

I think I heard that bitchslap all the way up here.

Dayyum…

[quote=“9erken, post:14, topic:23923”][quote=“StillJonesing, post:7, topic:23923”]Our basketball has also already proven it can go to NCAA’s, beat top 25 teams, have NBA draft picks, etc. We aren’t that far behind you guys even now in the things outside of wins, have been in the same conference as recently as 5 years ago, beat you head to head plenty of times, and already put a decent amount of fans in the stands most years without much success.[/quote] It’s great you have pride in your university. But this characterization of your basketball team would make Baghdad Bob blush.

ECU has ended up with a losing record for the last 9 straight years (including 6-24 in 06-07), last made the tournament 17 years ago, the last 2 NCAA tournament trips were 1st round exits, has not had an at-large bid in the last 45 years (have they ever, I couldn’t find records going back further), and over the last 45 years has had a losing record 31 times, finished .500 twice, and had a winning record 12 times (barely in most years, and last time this happened was '97). Edit: one other quick figure - in those 12 seasons, they never had more than 19 wins. Charlotte fired our coach last year after he won 19 games.

Check my math, but even if slightly off, this is monumentally bad. I’d stick to trumpeting the football.[/quote]

Wait for it, wait for it

[quote=“9erken, post:14, topic:23923”][quote=“StillJonesing, post:7, topic:23923”]Our basketball has also already proven it can go to NCAA’s, beat top 25 teams, have NBA draft picks, etc. We aren’t that far behind you guys even now in the things outside of wins, have been in the same conference as recently as 5 years ago, beat you head to head plenty of times, and already put a decent amount of fans in the stands most years without much success.[/quote] It’s great you have pride in your university. But this characterization of your basketball team would make Baghdad Bob blush.

Check my math, but even if slightly off, this is monumentally bad. I’d stick to trumpeting the football.[/quote]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=12px][/size][/font]