Edward Van Halen and all things guitar 🎸

That is awesome that you made the picture with his little guitar! I remember the day SRV died. We skipped school and drove up to beech mountain, but no skiing that time of year, just getting hammered. We got lost in the way back on a snaking endless mountain road. In the rush to get home before we were busted, my friend’s brand new tires were partially bald from taking 1000 switchbacks way too fast

Here is an example of 70s Rock and Roll that is slowly disappearing as an art form. Simple small stage with a band that just comes out with a kick to your head and does not let up. Bon Scott was one of the great front men of his time and akways under rated. When his vocals kick in you know what is up. Lots of people down play AC/ DC as a simple 3 chord rock and roll band but watch this video and listen to how tight this band played in those times. That comes from a lot of live shows in a row. Met Angus and Malcom back stage at Charlotte during Brian Johnson form of the band. 5’'4" max both of them. Crazy. Looked like 12 year olds hitting the stage.

1 Like

I always preferred Randy over EVH, not to take away anything from EVH because I know how great he was. I hate the world lost SRV and Randy so early in their lives. My favorite guitarist is Slash. He may not be as technical as some but I love his blues rock sound. I really like his work with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators. They also put on a great live show.

1 Like

Randy was a monster. Just crazy talent.

1 Like

Love his solo on Mr. Crowley, actually love the guitar playing on the whole song.

1 Like

EVH was more accomplished, but his body of work was an eternity compared to Randy. Where Randy was heading would have been outstanding to have witnessed.

1 Like

Obviously, the cameraman is not a guitarist

This dude was one of the best guitarists I have ever heard

I watched the Randy Rhoads documentary last week. Really enjoyed it. I never knew of the rivalry between him and Eddie. I guess it was unavoidable given how both were prodigies coming through at the same time. I try to enjoy both and avoid comparisons. Randy Rhoads left us way too soon.

1 Like

Eddie was an asshole to Randy, as was Roth. It’s interesting how the mixed in classical phrases so differently. It’s hard to match EVH. After he died, famous guitarists finally publicly acknowledged him. He was a moving target. His playing cannot be duplicated. Anyone that tries eventually gets stale. As badass as Eddie was, he sometimes sounded out of place in anything outside of Van Halen.

If you want to see the best guitarist ever, imho, just google Gentle on My Mind with guitar solo by Glen Campbell.

Let me know what you think…

1 Like

Campbell was amazing.

I would put Tommy Emmanuel up against anyone especially on acoustic.

Works for me. A new one for me. My Dad is all about Chet

** Crossroads spoilers inside **

1 Like

Taylor Swift GIF by Academy of Country Music Awards

1 Like

I was gonna bring up Campbell.
His rendition of the William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger Theme) was awesome for its time.

1 Like

Not all all time badass guitarists played 6; some played 4.