Elon post game

Wasnā€™t it just last week you were calling me a wet blanket? Which narrative is this again?

We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

We should be more concerned about winning now while recruiting the next guy at QB than trying to eek every last game out of Bardenā€™s eligibility.

Johnson is what he is. Itā€™s extremely unlikely heā€™s going to all of a sudden figure out how to read the field at this point.

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:42, topic:29033ā€]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

We should be more concerned about winning now while recruiting the next guy at QB than trying to eek every last game out of Bardenā€™s eligibility.

Johnson is what he is. Itā€™s extremely unlikely heā€™s going to all of a sudden figure out how to read the field at this point.[/quote]

I agree with the mentality that we shouldnā€™t be redshirting players to have more guys ready for FBS. The fact is our recruiting is only going to get better in CUSA and we are just prolonging the talent gap with redshirting.

[quote=ā€œninermike, post:43, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:42, topic:29033ā€]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

Johnson is what he is. Itā€™s extremely unlikely heā€™s going to all of a sudden figure out how to read the field at this point.[/quote]

I agree with the mentality that we shouldnā€™t be redshirting players to have more guys ready for FBS. The fact is our recruiting is only going to get better in CUSA and we are just prolonging the talent gap with redshirting.[/quote]
[size=1em]

[font=verdana]Could it be the players actually NEED to be red shirted? Either from a emotional or physical point of view.[/font][font=verdana]

Again I am pretty amazed at the high level of expectations so many of you have. I expected to struggle some this year and most likely suffer some pretty bad losses next year and the following year. This is a 6-7 year building program. If we canā€™t get our basketball team to the NCAAs over the past decade - in a sport that we have been playing for a long time, what made you guys think we were going to come in and win right away in a sport we have never played, with so much youth? [/font][/size]
[font=verdana]
[size=1em]I want to win as much as the next guy but come on yaā€™ll. [/size][size=3] [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=2]Patience people - keep the faith.[/size][/font]

[quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:44, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:43, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:42, topic:29033ā€]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

I agree with the mentality that we shouldnā€™t be redshirting players to have more guys ready for FBS. The fact is our recruiting is only going to get better in CUSA and we are just prolonging the talent gap with redshirting.[/quote]
[size=1em]

[font=verdana]Could it be the players actually NEED to be red shirted? Either from a emotional or physical point of view.[/font][font=verdana]

Again I am pretty amazed at the high level of expectations so many of you have. I expected to struggle some this year and most likely suffer some pretty bad losses next year and the following year. This is a 6-7 year building program. If we canā€™t get our basketball team to the NCAAs over the past decade - in a sport that we have been playing for a long time, what made you guys think we were going to come in and win right away in a sport we have never played, with so much youth? [/font][/size]
[font=verdana]
[size=1em]I want to win as much as the next guy but come on yaā€™ll. [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1em]Patience people - keep the faith.[/size][/font][/quote] Yes to all that. Got to walk before we run and just now Iā€™m not sure if we are out of the crawling stage.
Iā€™m as guilty as anyone in being fooled by our first 3 games that we were ahead of schedule. We arenā€™t.

I think we see ODUs wins and UTSAs success and expect that. ODU is the exception not the rule and UTSA is in freakin Texas and has the Alamo Dome of course they are going to have success. We have the smallest stadium in FBS, no lights, no band and apple pie. We need 5 to 7 years to build our program

we have some great pieces to build around. duke looked great last night and bostick is really good. phillips is a beast. we have some big time pieces but unfortunately, they need a qb who can get them the ball. i was very disapointed with the offensive line. we are set up very well the next few seasons at the skill positions but we need more depth at linebacker and help in the secondary.

There are for sure going to be times that this team looks ahead of schedule but we are going to struggle week in and week out with any part of the game. I know itā€™s hard to look at games like this but A&T about beat Costal, Elon about beat A&T. I think we may be under estimating the elon team we played last night. I know we didnā€™t deserve to win but if a few plays would have gone our way last night that would have been a W. It will be interesting to see how we approach these games now with our middle of the field problems on defence.

Elon threw 59 passes most of which were the underneath 5 yard variety. No doubt adjustments should have been made. ILBs played well. Crouser had 15 tackles, an int, and a knockdown in a game with 59 pass attempts. Still the players need to be put in the best position to do what they need to do to stop the other team.

There are gonna to be a lot more growing pains in the weeks/years to come. As fans we need to support them regardless.

[quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:45, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:44, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:43, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:42, topic:29033ā€]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

[size=1em]

[font=verdana]Could it be the players actually NEED to be red shirted? Either from a emotional or physical point of view.[/font][/size]
[font=verdana]
[size=1em]I want to win as much as the next guy but come on yaā€™ll. [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1em]Patience people - keep the faith.[/size][/font][/quote] Yes to all that. Got to walk before we run and just now Iā€™m not sure if we are out of the crawling stage.
Iā€™m as guilty as anyone in being fooled by our first 3 games that we were ahead of schedule. We arenā€™t.[/quote]

My point is that itā€™s a fallacy if we are ONLY red shirting to prepare for FBS. That line of thinking assumes our recruiting wonā€™t be improving. From a competitive viewpoint, red shirting happens because you want the most talented and physical players on the field. If your recruiting improves each year, your new recruits become the most talented and physical players on the field.

[quote=ā€œninermike, post:50, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:45, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:44, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:43, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:42, topic:29033ā€]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

[size=1em]

[font=verdana]Could it be the players actually NEED to be red shirted? Either from a emotional or physical point of view.[/font][/size]
[font=verdana]
Iā€™m as guilty as anyone in being fooled by our first 3 games that we were ahead of schedule. We arenā€™t.[/quote]

My point is that itā€™s a fallacy if we are ONLY red shirting to prepare for FBS. That line of thinking assumes our recruiting wonā€™t be improving. From a competitive viewpoint, red shirting happens because you want the most talented and physical players on the field. If your recruiting improves each year, your new recruits become the most talented and physical players on the field.[/quote]

I think we can all hope and expect recruiting to get better - but being in the program for a year to learn college and the systems is of high value. Just because a freshman might be more talented doesnā€™t mean they are actually better on the field. It is how a lot of mid major and lower major program compete - by having 5th yr seniors - stronger and wiser. We have to keep our eyes on the long term prize here - this isnā€™t basketball where selling out for one year changes the direction of the program. We simply have to stay competitive and finish around .500. We correct a few mistakes and we win last night. I can take that.

You guys let me know when itā€™s OK to get pissed about laying a turd in a football gameā€¦ Apparently Iā€™m too hard on them.

I think it is ok to be angry about it - just have to balance it out with realistic expectations with where we should be. Trust me I was yelling at the DBs and cussing our D all night. In the end though losing to Elon isnā€™t a sign that football is a disaster or that we going in the wrong direction. We absolutely should have played better last night - but even with the crappy game we still had a shot at the end. I will take that in year #2 with still a load of sophmores playing and some significant injuries to an already young and thin team.

Since we made ZERO adjustments in this game, I have to wonder if the coaching staff did this on purpose to see how the players would handle it or to test some of their own theories. After all, thereā€™s no post season to this season and only pride to play for. If youā€™re going to do some weird testing this is the season to do it.

I agree. We went from 3-0 and ready for CUSA to 3-1 and set to go 0-12 next season. All after just one game. Nothing wrong with having high expectations but we need to temper that with reality.

[quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:51, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:50, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œ4ever niner, post:45, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œNinerWupAss, post:44, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œninermike, post:43, topic:29033ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:42, topic:29033ā€]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just canā€™t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

[size=1em]

[font=verdana]

My point is that itā€™s a fallacy if we are ONLY red shirting to prepare for FBS. That line of thinking assumes our recruiting wonā€™t be improving. From a competitive viewpoint, red shirting happens because you want the most talented and physical players on the field. If your recruiting improves each year, your new recruits become the most talented and physical players on the field.[/quote]

I think we can all hope and expect recruiting to get better - but being in the program for a year to learn college and the systems is of high value. Just because a freshman might be more talented doesnā€™t mean they are actually better on the field. It is how a lot of mid major and lower major program compete - by having 5th yr seniors - stronger and wiser. We have to keep our eyes on the long term prize here - this isnā€™t basketball where selling out for one year changes the direction of the program. We simply have to stay competitive and finish around .500. We correct a few mistakes and we win last night. I can take that.[/quote]

Well saidā€¦ !!!

2017 and Iā€™m serious.

Tomorrow, the sun will also rise in Newell. We will get past this tragedy.

2017 and Iā€™m serious.[/quote]

Letā€™s take the scoreboard down and start handing out trophies after every game till '17 then

Thereā€™s a big difference between player development and just flat getting out coached. Mattā€™s had ups and downs since heā€™s been here and heā€™ll rarely have games as bad as yesterday and last yearā€™s NCCU game. Matt will come back and win our praise at least a few more times this year.

Despite player performance, there is no reason we should have lost yesterday. We had the tools but our coaching staff laid an egg.