Elon post game

Our coaches aren’t supposed to still be learning how to do basic coaching.

Our defensive coordinator was a clown yesterday.

Agree 100%

2017 and I’m serious.[/quote]

Let’s take the scoreboard down and start handing out trophies after every game till '17 then[/quote]

Let’s just disband the program and blow up the stadium, because we going to generally be unsuccessful and probably ugly until them.

[quote=“chasmo101, post:56, topic:29033”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:51, topic:29033”][quote=“ninermike, post:50, topic:29033”][quote=“4ever niner, post:45, topic:29033”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:44, topic:29033”][quote=“ninermike, post:43, topic:29033”][quote=“eason49, post:42, topic:29033”]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just can’t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

We should be more concerned about winning now while recruiting the next guy at QB than trying to eek every last game out of Barden’s eligibility.

Johnson is what he is. It’s extremely unlikely he’s going to all of a sudden figure out how to read the field at this point.[/quote]

I agree with the mentality that we shouldn’t be redshirting players to have more guys ready for FBS. The fact is our recruiting is only going to get better in CUSA and we are just prolonging the talent gap with redshirting.[/quote]
[size=1em]

[font=verdana]Could it be the players actually NEED to be red shirted? Either from a emotional or physical point of view.[/font][/size]
[font=verdana]
[size=1em]I want to win as much as the next guy but come on ya’ll. [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1em]Patience people - keep the faith.[/size][/font][/quote] Yes to all that. Got to walk before we run and just now I’m not sure if we are out of the crawling stage.
I’m as guilty as anyone in being fooled by our first 3 games that we were ahead of schedule. We aren’t.[/quote]

My point is that it’s a fallacy if we are ONLY red shirting to prepare for FBS. That line of thinking assumes our recruiting won’t be improving. From a competitive viewpoint, red shirting happens because you want the most talented and physical players on the field. If your recruiting improves each year, your new recruits become the most talented and physical players on the field.[/quote]

I think we can all hope and expect recruiting to get better - but being in the program for a year to learn college and the systems is of high value. Just because a freshman might be more talented doesn’t mean they are actually better on the field. It is how a lot of mid major and lower major program compete - by having 5th yr seniors - stronger and wiser. We have to keep our eyes on the long term prize here - this isn’t basketball where selling out for one year changes the direction of the program. We simply have to stay competitive and finish around .500. We correct a few mistakes and we win last night. I can take that.[/quote]

Well said… !!![/quote]

^^^^

Wasn’t it just last week you were calling me a wet blanket? Which narrative is this again?[/quote]

My statement is not that of a wet blanket. There’s no narrative on my part, just an observation. A correct one.

We were out coached in that game. We didn’t make enough adjustments to the quick hitters. Johnson seems to have regressed from a passer standpoint. Through 4 games he is averaging about 30 less yards per game and 1.25 less TDs per game. He is throwing .5 less Ints per game and has about 40 more yards per game rushing. I think the competition has been about the same as the first 4 games last year. I would really like to see a better passer win the battle against Johnson next season. I think Johnson would make a heck of a tight end with his size, but I don’t think he will be a good FBS quarterback as he struggles looking off defenders or spotting defenders. It’s going to be a long road for this program, but it will be fun.

Sooooooooooooooo true!

clt says let’s discuss the last play of the game.

I think Elon just completed another pass to the right for a 7 yard gain.

I am almost certain he was the ball carrier on that late game holding call, but i dont remember him getting any other snaps.[/quote]

I am pretty sure Maetron was in the game while Phillips was icing his shoulder in the 1st half. I’m not sure why he didn’t get any touches though.

Drop the corners another 5 yards… that’ll stop them!

This. It takes time and mistakes will happen but we’ll get better.

Hahahahahahaha

I am almost certain he was the ball carrier on that late game holding call, but i dont remember him getting any other snaps.[/quote]

I am pretty sure Maetron was in the game while Phillips was icing his shoulder in the 1st half. I’m not sure why he didn’t get any touches though.[/quote]

OK guys. I should of originally phrased it “Why did he not get any touches.” It is hard for a running back to make a difference if he does not touch the ball, minus great blocking. To debate the fact “was he in there for a play or not” does make any difference. I hope we get to see him against CHSO! If we do not see him, I would expect an explanation why he or DA are not on the field to give KP a break!

I am pretty sure Maetron was in the game while Phillips was icing his shoulder in the 1st half. I’m not sure why he didn’t get any touches though.[/quote]

OK guys. I should of originally phrased it “Why did he not get any touches.” It is hard for a running back to make a difference if he does not touch the ball, minus great blocking. To debate the fact “was he in there for a play or not” does make any difference. I hope we get to see him against CHSO! If we do not see him, I would expect an explanation why he or DA are not on the field to give KP a break![/quote]

The running back rotation, or lack therof, had me really confused on Saturday. I don’t know why we don’t work Maetron in more like we did with KP and Barnwell last year. Especially when KP is not at 100%.

OK guys. I should of originally phrased it “Why did he not get any touches.” It is hard for a running back to make a difference if he does not touch the ball, minus great blocking. To debate the fact “was he in there for a play or not” does make any difference. I hope we get to see him against CHSO! If we do not see him, I would expect an explanation why he or DA are not on the field to give KP a break![/quote]

The running back rotation, or lack therof, had me really confused on Saturday. I don’t know why we don’t work Maetron in more like we did with KP and Barnwell last year. Especially when KP is not at 100%.[/quote]

Yeah, it was odd. I didn’t see Wynn either. I was starting to wonder if they were serving a suspension we hadn’t heard about.

[quote=“J Felt, post:69, topic:29033”]I think Elon just completed another pass to the right for a 7 yard gain.[/quote] Either that cornerback is very slow or his coach is very stupid. Speed can be recruited.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:51, topic:29033”][quote=“ninermike, post:50, topic:29033”][quote=“4ever niner, post:45, topic:29033”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:44, topic:29033”][quote=“ninermike, post:43, topic:29033”][quote=“eason49, post:42, topic:29033”]We won last week because Johnson only had to complete 8 passes. The kid just can’t throw the ball; he has 0 vision. He had at least 3 interceptions dropped on top of his others. Move on. Pull the red shirt off Barden, and let him get acclimated. He is our only hope against FBS.

We should be more concerned about winning now while recruiting the next guy at QB than trying to eek every last game out of Barden’s eligibility.

Johnson is what he is. It’s extremely unlikely he’s going to all of a sudden figure out how to read the field at this point.[/quote]

I agree with the mentality that we shouldn’t be redshirting players to have more guys ready for FBS. The fact is our recruiting is only going to get better in CUSA and we are just prolonging the talent gap with redshirting.[/quote]
[size=1em]

[font=verdana]Could it be the players actually NEED to be red shirted? Either from a emotional or physical point of view.[/font][/size]
[font=verdana]
[size=1em]I want to win as much as the next guy but come on ya’ll. [/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1em]Patience people - keep the faith.[/size][/font][/quote] Yes to all that. Got to walk before we run and just now I’m not sure if we are out of the crawling stage.
I’m as guilty as anyone in being fooled by our first 3 games that we were ahead of schedule. We aren’t.[/quote]

My point is that it’s a fallacy if we are ONLY red shirting to prepare for FBS. That line of thinking assumes our recruiting won’t be improving. From a competitive viewpoint, red shirting happens because you want the most talented and physical players on the field. If your recruiting improves each year, your new recruits become the most talented and physical players on the field.[/quote]

I think we can all hope and expect recruiting to get better - but being in the program for a year to learn college and the systems is of high value. Just because a freshman might be more talented doesn’t mean they are actually better on the field. It is how a lot of mid major and lower major program compete - by having 5th yr seniors - stronger and wiser. We have to keep our eyes on the long term prize here - this isn’t basketball where selling out for one year changes the direction of the program. We simply have to stay competitive and finish around .500. We correct a few mistakes and we win last night. I can take that.[/quote]

Interesting numbers regarding football redshirts:

NCAA Research ‏@NCAAResearch
56% of #NCAA Division I football players don’t compete as frosh. How does that compare to other sports?

Grobe redshirted nearly every freshman. Lambert will likely be the same way. We’re only seeing freshman play out of necessity right now.

Just get used to it.

[quote=“J Felt, post:79, topic:29033”]Grobe redshirted nearly every freshman. Lambert will likely be the same way. We’re only seeing freshman play out of necessity right now.

Just get used to it.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, Wake lost some of the better recruits because of that philosophy.