End the JUCO route now

I canā€™t understand what some of you are sayingā€¦all transfers or simply juco? Guys like Kelvin, Sager, Plavich, and DA were all DI transfers, not jucos.

And while I understand some gnashing at the teeth regarding the recruitment of jucosā€¦our 4 year players arent exactly tearing it up either. Hell, the most experienced guys we have are Ian and Dew who both are in their 3rd year in the system. If you can play, you can play. I wouldnā€™t turn the next Steve Francis down if he wants to play here just cause hes a juco.

I agree. I posted earlier in the thread that I thought this would happen last season. And that I can't even say wait until next year. IMO, 2010-11 will be the true evaluation year. Just on paper we should have a good crop of players with experience and having played together some.

If Iā€™m not mistaken it will be:
Wilderness 4th year
Dewhurst 4th year
Jones 4th year
Barnett 3rd year
Bowden 2nd year
Spears 2nd year
Braswell 2nd year

Thatā€™s pretty good chemistry (on paper) and more of a traditional roster.

The 2 questions are 1) can we wait until then? and 2) can we find a good PG to play with these guys?

My biggest worry is Braswell becomes the next Curt. I donā€™t mean the 18 pts, 9 rebs, Curt, but the Curt who from the latter part of his sophmore season to the end of his senior year was the same person.

Braswell doesnā€™t shoot threes so if the system isnā€™t changed heā€™ll score primarily on broken down plays, perimeter D overplaying, or 2nd chance points. This kid has too much talent, as did Curt to be relegated to that.

Curt for two years was easily the best talent on our team, but the teamā€™s inability to run a decent play for him without jacking it up first, providing a decent post entry pass, or even allowing him to get past the free throw line before shooting the ball, curbed his offensive development.

If this happens with Braswell I will disappear and so will my support of this program, until there is an obvious change.

I agree. I posted earlier in the thread that I thought this would happen last season. And that I can't even say wait until next year. IMO, 2010-11 will be the true evaluation year. Just on paper we should have a good crop of players with experience and having played together some.

Wilderness 4th year
Dewhurst 4th year
Jones 4th year
Barnett 3rd year
Bowden 2nd year
Spears 2nd year
Braswell 2nd year

The 2 questions are 1) can we wait until then? and 2) can we find a good PG to play with these guys?

That team is great, but nothing without two PGs.

I can't understand what some of you are saying...all transfers or simply juco? Guys like Kelvin, Sager, Plavich, and DA were all DI transfers, not jucos.

And while I understand some gnashing at the teeth regarding the recruitment of jucosā€¦our 4 year players arent exactly tearing it up either. Hell, the most experienced guys we have are Ian and Dew who both are in their 3rd year in the system. If you can play, you can play. I wouldnā€™t turn the next Steve Francis down if he wants to play here just cause hes a juco.

The title of the thread suggests JUCO, but the thread has gone on about experience in the system. Thus, the argument is against transfers, too.

And I agree with you. If you can play and we have a need, sounds like a fit.

remember when we went 13-16 with Butter and Co?? We all loved it because it was a reboot year.

We all loved it?!! What are you sniffing? That yr was flat out painful. Butter, Nash, and Demonā€¦seniors. Rebuilding yr? Really? And wasnā€™t that the yr with the craptastic tourney over the Holidays?

The only good that came out of that season was an old man about to hyperventilate when Demon caught fire in Cincy.

[QUOTE=metro;366435]yes it is our problem: our entire roster is unconventional

I want 4 yr players, its the only way for mid majors to win.[/QUOTE]

Weā€™re a mid major now?

Back to readingā€¦

I can't understand what some of you are saying...all transfers or simply juco? Guys like Kelvin, Sager, Plavich, and DA were all DI transfers, not jucos.

Werd.

I scanned through and couldnā€™t help but bringing up Demarco Johnsonā€™s favorite, a Niner road warrior most assist in Halton (18). One of my favorite game was NCAA tounament. He came back after popping his shoulder back and helped us beat Georgetown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4zZWvAAag

:49ers: :49ers: :49ers: :49ers:

I personally donā€™t have a problem with Jucos either. But Iā€™m mostly like Metro as far as thinking they should fill needs, not be the main backbone. If we have too many, playing the main roles, thereā€™s bound to be some chemistry issues.

My biggest worry is Braswell becomes the next Curt. I don't mean the 18 pts, 9 rebs, Curt, but the Curt who from the latter part of his sophmore season to the end of his senior year was the same person.

Braswell doesnā€™t shoot threes so if the system isnā€™t changed heā€™ll score primarily on broken down plays, perimeter D overplaying, or 2nd chance points. This kid has too much talent, as did Curt to be relegated to that.

Curt for two years was easily the best talent on our team, but the teamā€™s inability to run a decent play for him without jacking it up first, providing a decent post entry pass, or even allowing him to get past the free throw line before shooting the ball, curbed his offensive development.

If this happens with Braswell I will disappear and so will my support of this program, until there is an obvious change.

I hope so too. Hopefully heā€™ll be used like Demarco instead of Curt. I canā€™t totally blame the system for Curt though. I got to see him some in HS and he was already launching 3s. I think part of the issue with Withers was in consideration of possibly playing at the next level. It became apparent that he would probably be too small for PF, so they were showing he could play SF too. Similar to what McKillop is doing for Curry.

[QUOTE=Niner89;366746]I scanned through and couldnā€™t help but bringing up Demarco Johnsonā€™s favorite, a Niner road warrior most assist in Halton (18). One of my favorite game was NCAA tounament. He came back after popping his shoulder back and helped us beat Georgetown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4zZWvAAag

:49ers: :49ers: :49ers: :49ers:[/QUOTE]

If Dijuan had a jumper like SCā€™s then he might could approach SCā€™s level.

Note to Bobby: Go recruit a PG that has a jumper, it keeps the D honest and makes it much easier for passing lanes/perimeter kicks to happen.

Last 10 years, weā€™ve had 2, Demon & Colson.

I can't totally blame the system for Curt though. I got to see him some in HS and he was already launching 3s.
Yep. I saw Curt play in a holiday tournament at Cricket Arena (I think it was the Dell Curry Tourney before they moved it) and the only thing he did was stand outside the 3 point line and shoot 3s the entire game.

Wilderness 4th year
Dewhurst 4th year
Jones 4th year
Barnett 3rd year
Bowden 2nd year
Spears 2nd year
Braswell 2nd year

Iā€™m glad you at least said ON PAPERā€¦ because Iā€™m sick of looking to next year it made last year look like a miracle or somethingā€¦

Also if you want to know why we are screwed this season, just look at the 05 recruiting class...that class was due to Bobby having 1 foot out the door and our awful attempt at adjusting to a new conference on the recruiting trail.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&toinid=434&yr=2005

DOBA!!! 3 Jucoā€™s, no transfers, no 4 year players, Lutz gave a ****ty attempt at recruiting this year and we are paying for it now. Think about it, the guys in this class would be SENIORS NOW!!!

We're a mid major now?

Back to readingā€¦

sadly yes

I'm glad you at least said ON PAPER... because I'm sick of looking to next year it made last year look like a miracle or something....

Yea, Iā€™m trying to emphasize ā€œon paperā€. Iā€™m not much for saying wait until next year, and I definitely think incoming players have been over hyped at times. I only point out '10-'11 as far as expectations and contract status.

Wilderness 4th year
Dewhurst 4th year
Jones 4th year
Barnett 3rd year
Bowden 2nd year
Spears 2nd year
Braswell 2nd year

Small Note: Barnett would be his 4th year in system. Since he red shirted his freshman year same year as Wilderness. Also doesnā€™t phil half to obtain some kind of academic level of success to get his freshman year of eligability back?

To be fair, I think Mack and Coley could be answered for Lutzā€™s contract status last season. If we had [B]landed a freshman SG or SF last season[/B] instead of Mack, I doubt we would have had the contribution that Mack gave last season. So in that regard Lutz needed an immediate impact.[/QUOTE]

that player was supposed to be michael beasely. he wouldā€™ve been here for a year and weā€™d be writing threads how pissed we are he went ahead and went pro.

Small Note: Barnett would be his 4th year in system. Since he red shirted his freshman year same year as Wilderness. Also doesn't phil half to obtain some kind of academic level of success to get his freshman year of eligability back?

Yes on Phil. I was trying to think positive.

And for Barnett, that too would be true. But you could also add another year for Bowden, Dewhurst, Jones and Spears too with that logic. I was referring to actual game time minutes.

To be fair, I think Mack and Coley could be answered for Lutz's contract status last season. If we had [B]landed a freshman SG or SF last season[/B] instead of Mack, I doubt we would have had the contribution that Mack gave last season. So in that regard Lutz needed an immediate impact.
that player was supposed to be michael beasely. he would've been here for a year and we'd be writing threads how pissed we are he went ahead and went pro.

Thatā€™s true. But for a player like Beasley you make exceptions, even if it is for one year. A player with Beasleyā€™s ability is the exception and not the rule. Maybe if we had a Beasley and made a sweet 16 run, we would have landed another stud in this years class.