End the JUCO route now

If our staff were better recruiters then this arguement is moot. I can put some of this blame on the administration and its commitment to winning but I do not buy into any of the limitations Charlotte has to recruiting except $$$$$.
we are at the top of the heap with Xavier when it comes to recruiting budget in the A10. Bobby is free to recruit nationally.

Did our coaches get laptops yet?

[QUOTE=Normmm;366526]Never said Mack is an all american or perfect. Just saying, tell me the last time weā€™ve had a freshman average 13pts/game. Iā€™d say Rodney White. Before that Henry Williams maybe? To get that type of immediate contribution is difficult.[/QUOTE]

Curtā€™s freshmen year
9.4pt / game & 6.4 rb per game

Demon first year
11.7 pt per game

If you give a promising freshmen 25+ min a game, I donā€™t think 13pt/game is too difficult

[QUOTE=metro;366559]we are at the top of the heap with Xavier when it comes to recruiting budget in the A10. Bobby is free to recruit nationally.[/QUOTE]

I have seen something to this effect but thought there was some distance bettween X and us. Even taking into account that we are well funded then you have to put it on Lutz and his staff. If we are as well funded as X then how in the world have we been forced to sign what we have signed over the past three to four years and always have to take so many chances on one game wonders, under the radar long shots, JUCO stop gaps and BCS throw away transfers?

Curt's freshmen year 9.4pt / game & 6.4 rb per game

Demon first year
11.7 pt per game

If you give a promising freshmen 25+ min a game, I donā€™t think 13pt/game is too difficult

Both were good freshmen. But neither averaged as much as Mack did. Iā€™m not saying its impossible. But it has been difficult for us to do at Charlotte. Considering the position we needed, I think Rodney White is the only freshman weā€™ve gotten that had as much of a scoring impact as Mack had. Thatā€™s one over 20-30 seasons.

If our staff were better recruiters then this arguement is moot. I can put some of this blame on the administration and its commitment to winning but I do not buy into any of the limitations Charlotte has to recruiting except $$$$$.

Thatā€™s the concept Iā€™ve wrestled with for years. I have no way of knowing if we can do a better job of recruiting with a different staff. And of course, wonā€™t know unless a change is made. So do I believe Lutz and Co do as well as we can, or do I think its worth trying a new staff to see if they can do better, with the chance they may not?

[QUOTE=Normmm;366592]Thatā€™s the concept Iā€™ve wrestled with for years. I have no way of knowing if we can do a better job of recruiting with a different staff. And of course, wonā€™t know unless a change is made. So do I believe Lutz and Co do as well as we can, or do I think its worth trying a new staff to see if they can do better, with the chance they may not?[/QUOTE]

How could a new staff do any worse!?

Iā€™m a little perplexed if anyone actually looked at the roster before answering. There are a grand total of four players out of 13 on the current roster who could be classified as ā€œjucoā€:

Charlie Coley
Lamont Mack
DiJuan Harris (although he will have played here three years so thatā€™s stretching it)
RaShad Coleman (who did not attend a junior college, he went to an NAIA school then to Heat Academy)

All the rest are four year players except Spears, who is a Division I transfer. Even Phil will have four years if he stays on track to graduate. For those who count, thatā€™s eight four year players on roster.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;366560]Did our coaches get laptops yet?[/QUOTE]

Bobbyā€™s new laptop

I'm a little perplexed if anyone actually looked at the roster before answering. There are a grand total of four players out of 13 on the current roster who could be classified as "juco":

Charlie Coley
Lamont Mack
DiJuan Harris (although he will have played here three years so thatā€™s stretching it)
RaShad Coleman (who did not attend a junior college, he went to an NAIA school then to Heat Academy)

All the rest are four year players except Spears, who is a Division I transfer. Even Phil will have four years if he stays on track to graduate. For those who count, thatā€™s eight four year players on roster.

2/3 years we have leaned on a JUCO or disgruntled transfer to drive the bus.

JUCO kids are fine for role players, I donā€™t want them to be the relied on like Mac, Coley, DA, and that clan from 2 yrs ago.

Next year I am looking forward too with all the new true talented frosh.

and this is not a criticism of Coley or Mack. They are nice role players. I am more-less frustrated we donā€™t have true 4 year seniors now instead of juco seniors. Its really a criticism of how we recruited 4 yrs ago to put us in this position.

[QUOTE=metro;366642]Next year I am looking forward too with all the new true talented frosh.[/QUOTE]

Just remember, and Iā€™m gonna go vomit for saying this, but McCants, RayRay Felton & Sean ā€œSuper Size Meā€ May were 8-20 as froshes.

Just sayinā€™.

Now, pardon me while I puke for making that reference.

[QUOTE=TheShowDawg;366572]I have seen something to this effect but thought there was some distance bettween X and us. Even taking into account that we are well funded then you have to put it on Lutz and his staff. I[/QUOTE]Recruiting budget is similar. Athletic budgets are not close, however. That is probably because Xavier is private and costs a lot more to attend than Charlotte. A scholarship here is worth much less than one at Xavier.

Just remember, and I'm gonna go vomit for saying this, but McCants, RayRay Felton & Sean "Super Size Me" May were 8-20 as froshes.

Just sayinā€™.

Now, pardon me while I puke for making that reference.

didnā€™t they win a natl title?

like I said above, Iā€™d rather suffer with true freshman for a yr or two, then hit paydirt when a group of them are JR-SR.

hell- its obvious the stop gap method we use now does not work.

remember when we went 13-16 with Butter and Co?? We all loved it because it was a reboot year.

Oh, I agree, I just dont see Braswell, Bowden and Sherrill as cure alls, and Spears appears to be an offensive oriented player (defense is a big issue for us).

Our team next year is gonna be based on Jones-Wilderness-Harris & we might get somethin oughtta Coleman. I wouldnā€™t base any estimate of our future on any of the newcomers making huge contributions, with the exception of maybe Bowden because heā€™ll get his shots in Lutzā€™s system.

One of the reasons we get disappointed is that we expect too much from untested commodities. All of us are guilty of this.

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;366638]Iā€™m a little perplexed if anyone actually looked at the roster before answering. There are a grand total of four players out of 13 on the current roster who could be classified as ā€œjucoā€:

Charlie Coley
Lamont Mack

All the rest are four year players except Spears, who is a Division I transfer. Even Phil will have four years if he stays on track to graduate. For those who count, thatā€™s eight four year players on roster.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s a fairly lucid arguement until you realize that the four guys you mentioned are 4 of our top 6 or so guys.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;366643]Just remember, and Iā€™m gonna go vomit for saying this, but McCants, RayRay Felton & Sean ā€œSuper Size Meā€ May were 8-20 as froshes.

Just sayinā€™.

Now, pardon me while I puke for making that reference.[/QUOTE]

no 8-20 was the year before they got there

pretty sure they went to NIT in their frosh year

Oh, I agree, I just dont see Braswell, Bowden and Sherrill as cure alls, and Spears appears to be an offensive oriented player (defense is a big issue for us).

Our team next year is gonna be based on Jones-Wilderness-Harris & we might get somethin oughtta Coleman. I wouldnā€™t base any estimate of our future on any of the newcomers making huge contributions, with the exception of maybe Bowden because heā€™ll get his shots in Lutzā€™s system.

One of the reasons we get disappointed is that we expect too much from untested commodities. All of us are guilty of this.

I agree. I posted earlier in the thread that I thought this would happen last season. And that I canā€™t even say wait until next year. IMO, 2010-11 will be the true evaluation year. Just on paper we should have a good crop of players with experience and having played together some.

If Iā€™m not mistaken it will be:
Wilderness 4th year
Dewhurst 4th year
Jones 4th year
Barnett 3rd year
Bowden 2nd year
Spears 2nd year
Braswell 2nd year

Thatā€™s pretty good chemistry (on paper) and more of a traditional roster.

The 2 questions are 1) can we wait until then? and 2) can we find a good PG to play with these guys?

I'm a little perplexed if anyone actually looked at the roster before answering. There are a grand total of four players out of 13 on the current roster who could be classified as "juco":

Charlie Coley
Lamont Mack

I hate to say it but I actually agree with Hootie on this one. :smile: The 4 jucos are probably the 4 guys who deserve to get the most minutes, aside from Wilderness. Itā€™s just kind of bad timing that it worked out that way.

[QUOTE=Normmm;366664]I hate to say it but I actually agree with Hootie on this one. :smile: The 4 jucos are probably the 4 guys who deserve to get the most minutes, aside from Wilderness. Itā€™s just kind of bad timing that it worked out that way.[/QUOTE]

Itā€™s cold, but I didnā€™t hell was freezing over until nowā€¦

It is impertive we have a legit PG come in next year and if not we have to really get our act together and coach a kid up, because the ā€œpotentialā€ for 2010-11 will go in the ****ter if we have no one who is capable of running the show.

Also if you want to know why we are screwed this season, just look at the 05 recruiting classā€¦that class was due to Bobby having 1 foot out the door and our awful attempt at adjusting to a new conference on the recruiting trail.

[URL]http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&toinid=434&yr=2005[/URL]