Ended where we started BUT BETTER EFFORT

Shot 35 % for the game but at least gave good effort. We got down early and fought back to take a 8 point lead. Then struggled to score down the stretch. Early in the season we shot poorly but never fought back. Oh well, at least we didn’t go in the tank after the bad start. Back to the drawing board for next year.

last 2 years have been really tough at the end of season, good middle of conference season and then things go south, playing on the road does not help.

@lou
@USF
@memphis- tournament
@GW
@ Xavier- tournament
@cinci

All losses. Add to that a GSU win at home and a loss to NC st. on neutral. We seem to be 1-7 in that type of stretch.

But it seemed we lost most games in a similar way, we could not really stop the other team from scoring at the end, very high effeciency from the other team on offense at the end of the game. It seemed like in Cinci’s last 10 possessions they scored every time. Other games were similar.

Well at least Lutz went down like he has all year…with Mitch on the floor doing nothing. Lutz sucks…great year Mitch…don’t let the door hit ya.

Mitch actually played a good game…it sounded like. At least better than he’s been playing. We only had 3 guys for 2 spots. Not much depth at guard.

[QUOTE=lucky57;162826]Well at least Lutz went down like he has all year…with Mitch on the floor doing nothing. Lutz sucks…great year Mitch…don’t let the door hit ya.[/QUOTE]

And we wonder why players don’t come back and support the program

good point

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;162832]And we wonder why players don’t come back and support the program[/QUOTE]

Great analogy. You are all over it Big Time.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;162832]And we wonder why players don’t come back and support the program[/QUOTE]
I doubt opinions on message boards determine what players do after they leave here.

Good effort, seems like we should have lost by 20 with that shooting %, but we hung in. Another collapse down the end though. The missing piece from this season is a guy who will make a play however he has to. Think Eddie skying up and grabbing the ball with one hand on a missed FT against Memphis last year, nobody would have made that play for us this year. Oh well, get some young, eager talent in here and have FUN season next year.

What about people yelling at our coach during a game when we are winning by 20 points?

Players don’t come back to interact with the fans. Why would they care at all how classless (and clueless) most of our fans are? If they gave a damn Mitch would have given up basketball a year and a half ago.

[QUOTE=CMack124;162858]Players don’t come back to interact with the fans. Why would they care at all how classless (and clueless) most of our fans are? If they gave a damn Mitch would have given up basketball a year and a half ago.[/QUOTE]
Guess what?..HE DID

:lmao:

Ouch guys. Ouch.

I think that for a team that shot as poorly as we did, we had an amazing season. We had no business winning 19 games shooting the way we did in most of them. We didn’t even get blown out as bad as last year, such as vs Cinci.

Our #1 problem this season was that we didn’t have anyone that could win a game for us. Example, Morrison at Gonzaga. Gonzaga is not that good, but Morrison can win a game for them. Its that kind of guy that takes over the last 3 minutes and hits clutch shots. Eddie did that for us 2 years ago. That’s why we won so many games that year. We always came up 1-2 possessions short this year because we didn’t have the guy to make that play.

Here is hoping we have that in 2006-2007.

Not having EJ hurt like hell -> That put the Good Guys on the short end.

[QUOTE=NinerFan;162899]Not having EJ hurt like hell -> That put the Good Guys on the short end.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, it was MORE than not having EJ that hurt.

Christ, get off the Mitch issue already. You act as if the kid was tanking games or not showing any effort. He was never the same after the shoulder injuries. It is as simple as that.

The kid gave 5 years to the University, show a little class and tip your cap to that.

[QUOTE=CMack124;162858]Players don’t come back to interact with the fans. Why would they care at all how classless (and clueless) most of our fans are? If they gave a damn Mitch would have given up basketball a year and a half ago.[/QUOTE]

Sure they do. Players come back to be a fan and interact with other fans that remember them. Why would we trash one of our own??

[QUOTE=s9er;163077]Christ, get off the Mitch issue already. You act as if the kid was tanking games or not showing any effort. He was never the same after the shoulder injuries. It is as simple as that.

The kid gave 5 years to the University, show a little class and tip your cap to that.[/QUOTE]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was thinking about the whole Mitch thing over the weekend. He does deserve an appreciation thread.

The coach played him 35 minutes a game and he played with a good attitude all year. Personally, I think Bennett should have played more, but as a player what can you do? Bench yourself? Refuse to play? I’m happy he chose Charlotte out of high school but wish his career here could have ended on a sweeter note.

They came in like a lamb and went out like a lamb. A tremendous amount of talent went under-utilized this season. It’s not all the coach’s fault or Mitch’s fault. I never witnessed tenacity. This group of players never looked hungry. We had as much talent as George Mason, for chrissakes, but we NEVER played as hungry and as disciplined.

Did anyone see how Coach Williams acted yesterday when his star player lulled around rather than get back on defense? That’s what we need. Zero-tolerance of lackadaisical attitudes. Sprint up and down the floor, get back on defense and give your all. Perhaps I am too negative in my criticism, but I never saw a strong desire to win at all costs sustained for 40 minutes. Maybe we will have better chemistry next year…