ESPN A-10 hoops power rankings

Would have made more sense for Brennan to have waited until after weekend games to do these, but what the heck. Niners #5 in the December 21st edition.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Dec 14

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Dec 21

Niners fall to #7 in this week’s edition.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Dec 28

Niners fall again, to #8. Hmmm…

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Jan 4

Its as the guy said when he gave us the 4? Spot. He has no reason to rank us high, and only reasons to lower our rank. Use it as board material. This all it is

[quote=“Run49er, post:3, topic:27302”]Niners fall again, to #8. Hmmm…

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Jan 4[/quote]

we beat UNCA in overtime. that’s not the kind of thing that’s going to push us to Butler status.

Niners up to #6.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Jan 11

[quote=“Run49er, post:6, topic:27302”]Niners up to #6.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Jan 11[/quote]

The 49ers hold opponents to the 10th-lowest effective field goal percentage (41.6 percent) in the country. They will, as Mr. Galloway learned, make you miss.

Charlotte’s defense is going to wreak havoc on plenty of opponents’ shooting performances this season, so you can’t really punish the Explorers too much for falling short on the road.

Dat Defense. 8)

My favorite, “Now if they could just shape up that ugly offense…”

As much as I would like to give all the credit to our defense against La Salle, Dr. G’s team missed a lot of open threes and layups. Just glad Galloway had a “couldn’t hit the side of a barn” night on 3s. He did have some of the best dunks I’ve seen by an opponent in Halton since Chris Wright.

Back to #7.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Jan 18

[quote=“Run49er, post:10, topic:27302”]Back to #7.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Jan 18[/quote]

We will need to beat both UR and X if we want to move up. Even then the ceiling is five until we beat one of the “big four”.

Niners up to #4!

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: A-10 - Jan 25

FWIW, wish someone else was writing the A-10 power rankings besides Brennan. From misspelling team names to ignoring injuries plus typos, etc., in his write-ups, wouldn’t read it if not league-related. Not to a complete “grouch” about this, at least ESPN is giving the conference the ink!

Brennan decided there needed to be an 8-team tie for #6 - Niners included - this go 'round!

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Feb 1

[quote=“Run49er, post:13, topic:27302”]Brennan decided there needed to be an 8-team tie for #6 - Niners included - this go 'round!

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Feb 1[/quote]
Did not take into account the weekend games (since was posted Friday). Will be interesting to see if he changes his stance on the tie.

Do find it odd that he does these postings on Friday instead of Monday, but then I’ve always found him odd, so not surprised!

Niners #8 this week.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Feb 8

[quote=“Run49er, post:16, topic:27302”]Niners #8 this week.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Feb 8[/quote]

Did not agree with this at all. We beat #6 & #7 then lose to #5 by a point so we must be #8?

I just don’t get it.

[quote=“Honest Niner, post:17, topic:27302”][quote=“Run49er, post:16, topic:27302”]Niners #8 this week.

Did not agree with this at all. We beat #6 & #7 then lose to #5 by a point so we must be #8?

I just don’t get it.[/quote]

Because UMass and X were close games at home. He just had to pick an order. Don’t think he’s saying big gap, just randomly trying to make sense of the middle of the league.

[quote=“cakewalk5, post:18, topic:27302”][quote=“Honest Niner, post:17, topic:27302”][quote=“Run49er, post:16, topic:27302”]Niners #8 this week.

I just don’t get it.[/quote]

We also lost to GW and Richmond by 20+, so at least he keeps us ranked ahead of them. As long as we’re ranked in the top half of the A-10, I won’t have too much to complain about. We haven’t done enough to be a top 4 team thus far, and the middle of the A-10 is extremely hard to rank; even for fans who closely follow the league.

Because UMass and X were close games at home. He just had to pick an order. Don’t think he’s saying big gap, just randomly trying to make sense of the middle of the league.[/quote]

Move up to #6 this week.

ESPN.com: Conference Power Rankings: Atlantic 10 - Feb 15