ESPN article on 49er Football

Enjoy!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=6699612

ESPN gives us more coverage than the observer does

article shows wrong figures. Says FSLs sell for between $250 and $1500. It make’s that 3,400 FSLs sold look dinky.

"We want to give people a reason to stay on campus on the weekends," Lambert said. "In the past, everyone left to go to Wake Forest, NC State or Clemson to watch football."

The Tarheels didn’t make his list. I choose to believe he did that on purpose. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is PLENTY wrong with that article!!!

If you repeat a lie often enough eventually people will start to believe it.

Rose started lobbying for the school of more than 25,000 students to add football immediately after she was named athletic director in 1990. Finally, she got her wish last year.

Um, what?

Nice. So our AD has been supportive the whole time and we can buy FSL’s for a nickel. I’m glad that’s national news. ::slight_smile:

I think you guys are overreacting (again). Unless I missed something.

“Started lobbying for football in 1990.” She probably did. She was then told to shut up too, but she probably did suggest football. Anyone with half a brain and some athletic mindedness could see football was needed.

“Foresaw basketball-only schools getting relegated.” I’m pretty sure everyone did.

So then why oh why QQQ belly ache didn’t she get us a football team when we were in the CUSA and coulda gone BE instead of A-10? Because this is bigger than her. She suggested football, was told to shut up or she’s fired, and that was it. You can’t just make football happen when your boss is short-sighted and stubborn. It wouldn’t have happened now either because of the same situation, but the people stopped saying “it won’t happen.” Woodward is much more to blame for us being in the A10 than Judy.

[quote=“49or bust, post:9, topic:25504”]I think you guys are overreacting (again). Unless I missed something.

“Started lobbying for football in 1990.” She probably did. She was then told to shut up too, but she probably did suggest football. Anyone with half a brain and some athletic mindedness could see football was needed.

“Foresaw basketball-only schools getting relegated.” I’m pretty sure everyone did.

So then why oh why QQQ belly ache didn’t she get us a football team when we were in the CUSA and coulda gone BE instead of A-10? Because this is bigger than her. She suggested football, was told to shut up or she’s fired, and that was it. You can’t just make football happen when your boss is short-sighted and stubborn. It wouldn’t have happened now either because of the same situation, but the people stopped saying “it won’t happen.” Woodward is much more to blame for us being in the A10 than Judy.[/quote]

yummm!!!

[quote=“jfickett, post:10, topic:25504”][quote=“49or bust, post:9, topic:25504”]I think you guys are overreacting (again). Unless I missed something.

So then why oh why QQQ belly ache didn’t she get us a football team when we were in the CUSA and coulda gone BE instead of A-10? Because this is bigger than her. She suggested football, was told to shut up or she’s fired, and that was it. You can’t just make football happen when your boss is short-sighted and stubborn. It wouldn’t have happened now either because of the same situation, but the people stopped saying “it won’t happen.” Woodward is much more to blame for us being in the A10 than Judy.[/quote]

That must be some good kool-aid.[/quote]
Way to debunk that one there.

Do people believe that Judy Rose never proposed football prior to the recent push? If so, than why? It doesnt seem that far fetched to think that she was pro football and had suggested it to woodward. And wasnt there supposed to be a study done prior to 9/11? Are we to believe Judy was against that study or had no imput on it at all?

I know the NNN company line is to hate judy. And God knows this school gives us plenty of reasons to shake our head over. But I don’t see it here.

[quote=“49or bust, post:11, topic:25504”][quote=“jfickett, post:10, topic:25504”][quote=“49or bust, post:9, topic:25504”]I think you guys are overreacting (again). Unless I missed something.

That must be some good kool-aid.[/quote]
Way to debunk that one there.[/quote]
You like to argue just for the sake of arguing and nothing I say over the next 20 potential pissing match posts is going to change your mind, so just keep believing that Judy wanted this all along and this is her baby and she did so much to make it happen.

YOU WERE AN ORIGINAL CFI GUY! DONT LET THEM STEAL YOUR THUNDER!

If Judy had integrity, & Woodward shot her down in an attempt to save the program in the early-mid '90’s by getting FB, do the honorable thing, resign, tell people why you’re resigning so alums will pressure Woodward, & get a job at a school that’s not going down in conferences so you don’t get the blame.

[quote=“casstommy, post:12, topic:25504”]Do people believe that Judy Rose never proposed football prior to the recent push? If so, than why? It doesnt seem that far fetched to think that she was pro football and had suggested it to woodward. And wasnt there supposed to be a study done prior to 9/11? Are we to believe Judy was against that study or had no imput on it at all?

I know the NNN company line is to hate judy. And God knows this school gives us plenty of reasons to shake our head over. But I don’t see it here.[/quote]

If she wanted it so badly, she didn’t need us to force it upon her or anyone else. She may have thought it was a good idea, but definitely didn’t do anything to set it in motion. We got left out in the cold on the last realignment because we didnt have football. Now she’s saying things like “i feared that we would get left behind, that a school without football would get left in the dust, etc etc” NEWSFLASH: IT’S ALREADY HAPPENED.

ugh. I’m done. She and Doob wanna take full credit…let 'em. Don’t even care anymore.

[quote=“casstommy, post:12, topic:25504”]Do people believe that Judy Rose never proposed football prior to the recent push? If so, than why? It doesnt seem that far fetched to think that she was pro football and had suggested it to woodward. And wasnt there supposed to be a study done prior to 9/11? Are we to believe Judy was against that study or had no imput on it at all?

I know the NNN company line is to hate judy. And God knows this school gives us plenty of reasons to shake our head over. But I don’t see it here.[/quote]

My main issue is if she did lobby for it she did a great job of hiding it. She actively discredited every pro football push there was. Not being neutral, not just keeping her mouth shut, but truly discrediting and discounting everything. As a student in 1992 I asked her “Are we ever going to have football?” Her answer to me was “I don’t see football in the future of UNC Charlotte”. She could have said an entire list of things, more positive things. For someone who supposedly “wanted football” she sure did NOTHING to stoke the flames and infact tried to put them out.

The second is her JOB is to f’n see these things and fix them. If she KNEW that football was dictating everything and she had a chancellor that wouldn’t see the future then make him see the future or leave. Now I know circa 1990 she was just a glorified women’s basketball coach with NO clue how to navigate something like that, but lobbying is not going home and telling your spouse “you know we really need football”.

So she either sucked at her job in 1990-1995 or she is out right lying to ESPN.

Yea that’s what I do. ::slight_smile: I’m the one saying I won’t debate instead of insult, so clearly I’m the one whose mind can’t be changed. And apparently you can’t read either if you think I said it was her baby.

YOU WERE AN ORIGINAL CFI GUY! DONT LET THEM STEAL YOUR THUNDER!
I was never in this for thunder.
If she wanted it so badly, she didn't need us to force it upon her or anyone else. She may have thought it was a good idea, but definitely didn't do anything to set it in motion. We got left out in the cold on the last realignment because we didnt have football. Now she's saying things like "i feared that we would get left behind, that a school without football would get left in the dust, etc etc" NEWSFLASH: IT'S ALREADY HAPPENED.
No, she couldn't. Do you really think she could just up and start football without Woodward's approval? If he said no, especially if he did actually threaten her job, what was she going to do then? Yea she feared we would get left out before realignment because it was obvious, but if she can't start football without chancellor's approval, what is she supposed to do with that?

Resigning might keep your integrity but it sure sucks at paying the bills! However, I don’t believe for a minute that Judy has been pro-football for years because I’ve personally asked about it for the past 22 years. Remember, she was around long before Woodward.

She never stuck her neck out for it and we wouldn’t have it today without us. She’s managed to keep her job as long as she has by towing the party line which is want you do if you like the job you have.

I absolutely believe she loves the University but it’s been a paycheck over providing true leadership.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:16, topic:25504”]My main issue is if she did lobby for it she did a great job of hiding it. She actively discredited every pro football push there was. Not being neutral, not just keeping her mouth shut, but truly discrediting and discounting everything. As a student in 1992 I asked her “Are we ever going to have football?” Her answer to me was “I don’t see football in the future of UNC Charlotte”. She could have said an entire list of things, more positive things. For someone who supposedly “wanted football” she sure did NOTHING to stoke the flames and infact tried to put them out.

The second is her JOB is to f’n see these things and fix them. If she KNEW that football was dictating everything and she had a chancellor that wouldn’t see the future then make him see the future or leave. Now I know circa 1990 she was just a glorified women’s basketball coach with NO clue how to navigate something like that, but lobbying is not going home and telling your spouse “you know we really need football”.

So she either sucked at her job in 1990-1995 or she is out right lying to ESPN.[/quote]

I understand this. And I dont have the history with Judy that some of you guys have. But I will say that it is impossible to know what she said to leadership behind closed doors. I dont doubt for a second she wanted football at Charlotte. I believe she loves the university and wants us to be successful. I dont know how it works at other jobs, but if I have an idea that my boss isnt keen to, if I go around pitching it to everyone and their brother against his wishes then I’m gonna get called to the carpet. In what capacity did we want her to push for football outside of her bosses approval? You have to tow the company line.

And the idea that you should resign from your job over this is crazy. How many women AD’s were there in 1990? Hell, how many are there today? To think she would walk away from her job because her boss disagreed with her seems extremely naive.

You and SCK said this, but I’m quoting yours.

I don’t think she should have left. Or quit over it. More to say, I don’t blame her for not doing that. I wouldn’t have done it either (as a non-Charlotte alum). She was hired to do the best she could with what the school gave her. In this case, football wasn’t on that list. And when we had to leave CUSA, we ended up in the successor top non-BCS bball conference.

Getting more to what Kenny was saying, if you look at it from the standpoint of ‘doing what she can with what the school provides,’ I don’t think a neutral party is going to view her performance badly if it suffered as a result of us not having football.

Oh, and to the comment about belittling all this football stuff, yea, that sucked. But if you are told it’s not happening, it’s probably not best to go around undermining your boss.