ESPN CLASSIC LOVING!

[b]The answer they gave to why Charlotte is called the 49ers is "School was founded in 1949".[/b]
That is a stretch but knowing the story could at least understand where they were coming from.
[b]the one on the right with the wavy hair.[/b]
We'll call you [b]hollywood_kristi[/b] from now on.

I saw 49erdrummer sporting his afro. Good show.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 01:08 PM [b] Intros were awesome. They showed PA announcer (HIH) and then showed the entire intros. [/b]
I was not very happy with the mic last night ... I sounded like a tenor, when I was going for a baritone ... <_<
[i]Originally posted by HomeinHalton+Jan 27 2005, 03:29 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HomeinHalton @ Jan 27 2005, 03:29 PM)
[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner+Jan 27 2005, 03:37 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NormanNiner @ Jan 27 2005, 03:37 PM)
Originally posted by HomeinHalton@Jan 27 2005, 03:29 PM [b]

I Tivo’d the game last night so I could see the retro graphics and such but I was floored when I saw that even Jeff Mullins didn’t know why we are called the 49er’s.
I am a huge Mullins fan, however this was extremely disappointing.

I wouldn’t get too hard on Mullins. I went to uncc for 6 years and went to almost every basketball game, but I still get confused about all the reasons for the mascot that are floating around.

[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 03:54 PM [b] I wouldn't get too hard on Mullins. I went to uncc for 6 years and went to almost every basketball game, but I still get confused about all the reasons for the mascot that are floating around. [/b]
He was our athletic director and head coach for 11 years.
[b]-The answer they gave to why Charlotte is called the 49ers is "School was founded in 1949". :o [/b]

Call me ignorant, but I had always been told this was the reason too (amongst a few others)…

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 03:51 PM [b] I Tivo'd the game last night so I could see the retro graphics and such but I was floored when I saw that even Jeff Mullins didn't know why we are called the 49er's. I am a huge Mullins fan, however this was extremely disappointing. [/b]
I wouldn't think he created the Q&A, though. Where did it come from? He may have just been reading it and I have heard from some older niners that were around then, say it was because of 1949. Can anyone find the "official" meaning behind it and/or get some clarification from SID office?

When I went on my campus tour a couple of years ago, we were told three different stories:

-That it’s because of the fact that this area was the first place in the country that gold was found, and even though it was well before the California gold rush of 1849, the term “49er” has been associated with gold mining now. That’s the story we were told was most true.
-That it’s because the school was made a permanent institution in 1949. We were told that it was founded in '46 and became part of the UNC system in '65, but became a permanent school in '49. We were told that story had a lot of merit to it too.
-That it’s because of NC 49 running right in front of the university. That one we were told was not true, but is neat anyway.

According to the school, the real reason is because Charlotte College officially came into existence in 1949.

Yeah, being founded in '49 was the one I always heard as being most true. Although there have been some people I talked to who thought that it was purely because we were on Highway 49.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jan 27 2005, 04:09 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jan 27 2005, 04:09 PM)

They were going to shut the school down, Bonnie Cone wouldn’t let them, she fought with the spirit of a 49er.

[b] I saw 49erdrummer sporting his afro. Good show[/b]

You know how we roll, Mr. Sheridan…

[b]You know how we roll, Mr. Sheridan....[/b]

Indeed I do.
When we roll, we roll it heavy and we roll it fat. Packing bitches in my chevy and a clip in my gat.

[i]Originally posted by ellifyno[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 04:14 PM [b]When I went on my campus tour a couple of years ago, we were told three different stories:

-That it’s because of the fact that this area was the first place in the country that gold was found, and even though it was well before the California gold rush of 1849, the term “49er” has been associated with gold mining now. That’s the story we were told was most true.
-That it’s because the school was made a permanent institution in 1949. We were told that it was founded in '46 and became part of the UNC system in '65, but became a permanent school in '49. We were told that story had a lot of merit to it too.
-That it’s because of NC 49 running right in front of the university. That one we were told was not true, but is neat anyway.

According to the school, the real reason is because Charlotte College officially came into existence in 1949.[/b]

[b]According to [url=http://www.uncc.edu/public_relations/facts.html]the school[/url], the real reason is because Charlotte College officially came into existence in 1949.[/b]

The year 1949 is not the reason and it says so in your link, which is the same link that gets posted every year.

Still we somehow have students and Alum on this board that think we are named after a highway.

Here is the real reason:
In 1946, the North Carolina Legistlature established a Charlotte extension center of UNC Chapel Hill as a service to returning World War II veterans. The center became Charlotte College in 1949 and it offered a night curriculum. In 1963, it became a four-year college and in July 1965, it became a member of the greater UNC system.

When the extension center had served its purpose, funds for the Charlotte campus were to be cut off. A group of concerned Charlotteans, led by founder Bonnie Cone, successfully dissuaded the lawmakers. After a long legislative battle, the group hailed the birth of Charlotte College.

So, feeling that it was the pioneer spirit of 1849 and the gold rush to discover new treasures, the Charlotte group’s “we will not be defeated” attitude kept UNC Charlotte alive.

The students adopted the nickname 49ers. A grizzly old miner, “Miner 49er,” was chosen as a mascot. The students named him Norm in 1993.

Straight from the school’s website, for clarification:

"The University of North Carolina sought to close the Charlotte Center, but Bonnie Cone insisted that its services were still needed, if not for returning veterans, for hundreds of young men and women who could not go away to college. She looked for ways to make it a permanent institution.

In 1949, with the support of Dr. Garinger and a cadre of community leaders, she sparked the Charlotte Center’s conversion into Charlotte College, a two-year institution financed by city taxpayers and supervised by the Charlotte Board of Education. It was a pioneering move that later resulted in athletic teams at UNC Charlotte being named the '49ers."

http://www.uncc.edu/cone/bonnie_cone.asp

[i]Originally posted by LugNutX[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 05:58 PM [b]Straight from the school's website, for clarification:

"The University of North Carolina sought to close the Charlotte Center, but Bonnie Cone insisted that its services were still needed, if not for returning veterans, for hundreds of young men and women who could not go away to college. She looked for ways to make it a permanent institution.

In 1949, with the support of Dr. Garinger and a cadre of community leaders, she sparked the Charlotte Center’s conversion into Charlotte College, a two-year institution financed by city taxpayers and supervised by the Charlotte Board of Education. It was a pioneering move that later resulted in athletic teams at UNC Charlotte being named the '49ers."

http://www.uncc.edu/cone/bonnie_cone.asp[/b]

Also straight from the schools website, for better clarification:

Here is the real reason:
In 1946, the North Carolina Legistlature established a Charlotte extension center of UNC Chapel Hill as a service to returning World War II veterans. The center became Charlotte College in 1949 and it offered a night curriculum. In 1963, it became a four-year college and in July 1965, it became a member of the greater UNC system.

When the extension center had served its purpose, funds for the Charlotte campus were to be cut off. A group of concerned Charlotteans, led by founder Bonnie Cone, successfully dissuaded the lawmakers. After a long legislative battle, the group hailed the birth of Charlotte College.

So, feeling that it was the pioneer spirit of 1849 and the gold rush to discover new treasures, the Charlotte group’s “we will not be defeated” attitude kept UNC Charlotte alive.

The students adopted the nickname 49ers. A grizzly old miner, “Miner 49er,” was chosen as a mascot. The students named him Norm in 1993.

Here is the link

49ers

Also, the reason I listed is the same one that appeared on the back of the game programs during the 97 or 98 season. This is the program that had Colson and Demarco on the cover. I was told that this is the reason that the Athletic department had decided was the most accurate.

So now we can finally put this one to rest…

Summary…

"So, feeling that it was the pioneer spirit of 1849 and the gold rush to discover new treasures, the Charlotte group’s “we will not be defeated” attitude kept UNC Charlotte alive.

It was a pioneering move that later resulted in athletic teams at UNC Charlotte being named the '49ers."