ESPN CLASSIC LOVING!

[i]Originally posted by SF4Nynah[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 05:29 PM [b] Yeah, being founded in '49 was the one I always heard as being most true. Although there have been some people I talked to who thought that it was purely because we were on Highway 49. [/b]
That joke was a staple of comedians and other entertainers that used to perform at school.

“You guys are the only school I know of who’s nicknamed after a highway”

Ha, ha, ha.

By the way, what’s LBSU’s excuse?

[b]By the way, what's LBSU's excuse?[/b]

I look at their site to see and could not find anything about it. However, the San Francisco 49ers are name after the gold rush in Ca. in 1849…

San Francisco

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 05:53 PM [b] The year 1949 is not the reason and it says so in your link, which is the same link that gets posted every year. [/b]
My bad. I was on my way out the door and read that the gold rush and NC 49 references were incorrect, so I assumed the story about 1949 was the reason. Thanks for correcting me, and sorry if the link gets posted every year. I've only been visiting this board for a couple of days, so I didn't know.

Also, someone asked about Long Beach State. From their website:

“The school’s official mascot is the 49er, in honor of the school’s founding in 1949 and the fact that the city of Long Beach, like many other cities in California, prospered due to the 1850 gold rush. In athletics, not only is “49er” used as the mascot of Long Beach State athletics, but we also use the term “The Beach” and for baseball only, “Dirtbags” The reason for the secondary nicknames is because, Long Beach State is the only school in the country with a “Beach” in its name, while the baseball team has developed its nickname thanks to their gritty play and determination”

[b] sorry if the link gets posted every year.[/b]

This was not directed at you.

I was refering to the guys that have been on these boards for years and should know better because we go over this every year.

I’m a skeptical empiricist on most matters. Just because a media guide says it doesn’t make it fact. When you’re dealing with events 50+ years old, facts can get a little twisted.

I find it hard to believe that it is just coincidence that Mrs. Bonnie managed to found Charlotte College in 1949 and our nickname is the 49ers. The whole “pioneering spirit to discover new treasures” by itself seems like a stretch. If it was all about the founders’ tenacity, then the mascot could have been a viking or a bull or something. I think it’s probably a combination of both the year and the founders’ tenacity.

I was a little shocked when the question came up on the screen, and none of the answers were right. I wondered if Jeff Mullins knew that and covered by saying that “there are many answers that fit”

[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 06:56 PM [b] I'm a skeptical empiricist on most matters. Just because a media guide says it doesn't make it fact. When you're dealing with events 50+ years old, facts can get a little twisted.

I find it hard to believe that it is just coincidence that Mrs. Bonnie managed to found Charlotte College in 1949 and our nickname is the 49ers. The whole “pioneering spirit to discover new treasures” by itself seems like a stretch. If it was all about the founders’ tenacity, then the mascot could have been a viking or a bull or something. I think it’s probably a combination of both the year and the founders’ tenacity. [/b]

So, let me get this straight…the school web site and the media guide are probably a stretch but your theory is the most likely scenario?

I’m friends with alumni that graduated 30+ years ago and they are friends with older Alum and this is the story they agree with.

The school was founded in 1946, became Charlotte College in 1949 and part of the UNC system in 1965. The students then had a say in what the nickname would be.

Scary thought:

Our football team (Club team a while back) was called
"The Owls"… Whew that was a close one.

Pi, the fact that in one portion of the uncc website is your exmplanation, and in another the website seems to imply that 1949 had to do with it does throw an air of uncertainty into the matter.

It’s just speculation on my part as to what the answer is. I don’t think any of us on this message board really know. The website and media guide are not the innerernt words of God. And a friend of a friend who says so isn’t very bankable either, in my opinion. I played the telephone game in grade school, I know what happens over time and with many intermediaries.

I always thought a better name would have been the Veterans:

• It would have honored the soldiers the school was made for.
  • It would make more sense as a “1949er”
  • I’ve never met anymore more gritty or determined than a WWII vet.

But we are the 49ers now and forever, for whatever reason.

[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 08:37 PM [b] Pi, the fact that in one portion of the uncc website is your exmplanation, and in another the website seems to imply that 1949 had to do with it does throw an air of uncertainty into the matter.

It’s just speculation on my part as to what the answer is. I don’t think any of us on this message board really know. The website and media guide are not the innerernt words of God. And a friend of a friend who says so isn’t very bankable either, in my opinion. I played the telephone game in grade school, I know what happens over time and with many intermediaries. [/b]

[b]And a friend of a friend who says so isn't very bankable either, in my opinion. I played the telephone game in grade school, I know what happens over time and with many intermediaries.[/b]

I wouldn’t call sitting at a table and talking to people who are as close to the situation as you can get “the telephone game”. I would call it corroberation.

I didn’t see any conflicting website explanations.

Not everything is a conspiracy, Sideshow.

[b]I wouldn't call sitting at a table and talking to people who are as close to the situation as you can get "the telephone game". I would call it corroberation. [/b]

You said you have friends who graduated 30 years ago, who in turn have friends who graduated years before that. There’s potential for factual drift.

[b]I didn't see any conflicting website explanations. [/b]

the one that Lugnutz pointed out seemed to imply that the year 1949 had to do with the 49er mascot

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, I just don’t think it’s a matter with a clear-cut answer.

i saw the sign it was phat!!! much props

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 03:24 PM [b] We'll call you [b]hollywood_kristi[/b] from now on. [/b]
That's flippin SWEET! So did you see me then, cause I have yet to see it myself.
[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Jan 28 2005, 12:17 AM [b]
[b]I wouldn't call sitting at a table and talking to people who are as close to the situation as you can get "the telephone game". I would call it corroberation. [/b]

You said you have friends who graduated 30 years ago, who in turn have friends who graduated years before that. There’s potential for factual drift.

[b]I didn't see any conflicting website explanations. [/b]

the one that Lugnutz pointed out seemed to imply that the year 1949 had to do with the 49er mascot

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy, I just don’t think it’s a matter with a clear-cut answer. [/b]

Sideshow, I agree with you that the information printed on the web page implies that the name has to do with the year 1949. I am not sure who wrote that blurb but it is an glorification of the facts. The thing list three possibles as the origin of the name. It eliminates rwo of them. It does not eliminate the 1949 date!

Now the the funny part, some can say all the want, and knowing them they will and then some… Not only do I also know friends that graduated 30 years ago, I myself graduated from UNCC 35 years ago! Also, I was a student at Charlotte College before we even had day classes and it was only a junior college at the old Central High School (I believe is now Central Piedmont CC). I was a student on the first day we moved to the then four buildings on Highway 49.

When we were Charlotte College our nickname was the Owls, appropriately named as there were only night classes offered at the time. When the move was made from CC to UNCC the students (and I believe it originated from the student council but can be wrong on that point) selected two names. One was the Owls, representing the connection with CC and the 49er’s representing the date the school was founded. The students, yes the students voted on these two names. The students VOTED on the name and they did NOT adopt what some fund raised thought sounded good. And lastly, I was one of those students that was in school at the time and was fortunate to have voted.

Also, even though it had no bearing on the school’s choice of names, it was of very much interest to the students that the school was on highway 49 and that there were some actual gold mines close by (there was one mine within a mile or so of the school, near Hwy 49 going back toward town from the school…it was closed and I do not believe anything was ever found there). Several of my friends told me that they voted for the 49er name because of all of the factors noted. They thought it was neat…what you would say is cool today.

At the time, being an old CC student and playing on their basketball team, I liked our old name since it had meaning to me, I voted that we keep the Owls name and was upset that the name wasn’t voted in by the students. It was no real big deal and I now think the 49er’s name linked with the school’s origin has more meaning.

I know someONE will rant and rave that this is not so but all I can say is that I was there, I voted and it is part of my Charlotte College/UNCC adventure.

[i]Originally posted by 49erForever[/i]@Jan 28 2005, 09:14 AM [b] When we were Charlotte College our nickname was the Owls, appropriately named as there were only night classes offered at the time. When the move was made from CC to UNCC the students (and I believe it originated from the student council but can be wrong on that point) selected two names. One was the Owls, representing the connection with CC and the 49er's representing the date the school was founded. The students, yes the students voted on these two names. The students VOTED on the name and they did NOT adopt what some fund raised thought sounded good. And lastly, I was one of those students that was in school at the time and was fortunate to have voted.

[/b]

Thank you. See, there’s more than one answer and that’s ok. :rolleyes: :smiley:

Official according to the University:

-Pioneering spirit of the 1849 goldrush, fighting to save the university.

Unofficial (although true reason/meaning from those who experienced it):

-Founded in 1949
-Gold mines close by
-School located on Hwy 49

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Jan 28 2005, 10:14 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Jan 28 2005, 10:14 AM)

There’s probably some record of it in the University Archives up on the top floor of the Dalton Library Tower for those who want to do some digging.

Until that happens, my story is the university’s and I’m sticking to it.