Fall Camp Observations

Saturday some staff member had a long sleeve black one like this but had the crown instead of the C-Pick. I couldnā€™t get a pic.

Video content from AD is through the roof this year. Love it. Profiles on soccer and hoops out today as well.

1 Like

http://www.espncharlotte.net/the-wake-up-call-will-healy-i-feel-really-strongly-that-we-can-win-with-both-reynolds-and-kean/

Lots of QB talk

1 Like
1 Like

The way that I see the QB battle is that it all comes down to the O Line. If they can prove to protect the QB then Kean is the guy to go with because he can push the ball down the field. This eliminates the ability of the defense to keep 8 men in the box and stacking against the run game. If the O Line canā€™t protect you will need a guy that goes through progressions quickly and that can keep the play alive. Reynoldā€™s seems to be the guy that can do that. However, he has to be able to hit at least on medium routes, otherwise the box gets stacked and the run game gets tougher. The offense wants to run the ball and finding a QB that can keep the run game alive will be the chosen starter.

With a defense like we SHOULD have, a QB with big play ability (Kean) may get the nod here over a more ball-control oriented guy (Reynolds).

clt says we are going to run the ball and play great defense.

1 Like

To run the ball, you have to throw the ball, and a defense gets worse the longer it stays on the field, i.e. Mullins 3 and out in 15 seconds offense. We need the threat of a deep ball with a QB and a speedy WR.
The goal should be to keep the linebackers cheating out versus cheating in and to keep the safeties back for fear of the long ball. If all of the linebackers are crowding the line with the strong safety cheating in, it will be a long day for the running back.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the best description Iā€™ve heard of our OCā€™s offense
that Lambert kept 3 years too long. I wonder why heā€™s not a play caller for another school by nowā€¦Oh wait, maybe because he didnā€™t have a play book. Haha.

When is a final QB decision for wk1 expected to be announced? We are just two weeks and change away.

My guess is it wonā€™t happen until after scrimmage #2. That said, it wonā€™t happen unless Kean or Reynolds separates from the other.

In the interview this morning he said something to the effect that youā€™d like to have that at least a week before the first game.

Yeah, based on the interview I would bet a starter is named by the 22nd. That person needs a week of game planning with the offense alone. If there is no separation he also discussed a game plan that included platooning in which each QB knew what series they would enter the game. Like any QB situation if one struggles during the real game versus the other then the QB decision would be made on the fly. I think no matter how good QB1 looks after two series if the other QB is told that they would enter in the 3rd series I think that still happens. However, if QB1 stinks it up and QB2 lights it up I donā€™t think QB1 comes back in. On the flip side I think QB2 would run a couple of series and if they stink it up QB1 would come in for the remainder. I honestly wouldnā€™t mind seeing both in the game and making a determination at that point if it is not clear cut on who it should be. I think both QBs should be able to win this first game.

2 Likes

I hope he waits to ā€œofficiallyā€ name a starter as late as he can. Less game planning for GW (I know its GW, but I still like the advantage). In fact, I hope he does the same for week 2 (App). Why not make the opposition try to plan for both?..or for week 2, name a starter and then change it at the last minute. :slight_smile:

Hard to do with open practices so I doubt he waits.

1 Like

Both guys could still split first team reps in practice

Healy mentioned in one of his interviews (forgot which one), that he sees no real advantage in that strategy, so I suspect the starter (as he says, maybe not finisher) as soon as heā€™s comfortable doing so. For me, I trust the coaches and suspect either could ā€œwinā€ the first gameā€¦App is a different story though.

I agree with this.

QBs were really bad today. Nobody stood out in a positive way. Iā€™ll leave it at that.

Defense has potential to Be absolutely ridiculous. We are 2 deep at linebacker. Corners making plays. Defensive line looks very good and saw some interesting schemes today involving some nickel packages and getting tyriq harris and Alex highsmith on the same side of the ball. Has the potential to be a special group.

The kid from temple can boot the football. Our special teams is a very good group. Could see them highly ranked this year.

On offense we are gonna run, run, run, run and run some more. I think we are going to try to find creative ways to get the ball in our playmakers hands. I think we are going to try to use as much game clock as possible while we have the ball.

2 Likes

The QB situation is unfortunate. I went Saturday and hoped it was just a bad day but it seems like this may be the norm. Still excited about the season but Iā€™ve lowered my expectations a bit unfortunately. With decent QB play I thought with the other talent we have that we would be bowl eligible. But I just am no longer expecting decent play from that position so we are going to have to win in spite of them.

Hoping Iā€™m wrong and Iā€™m still excited for the season but I just donā€™t know.