Fan Support/Charity Idea

Following my outburst concerning my anger with school support and what people wear on campus, I figured I should quit bitchin and try and channel that rage into something good. So I have some ideas and I would really love it if anyone seriously wanted to do this stuff.

I hope this idea hasnt already come up, but I was thinking we could get more kids to wear niner gear and help out a charity all at the same time. I know the bobcats did this, but I was thinking we could raise money, buy niner gear like sweaters and hats and what not, then put up a booth or boothes on campus. When kids walk by wearing other schools’ stuff, we offer them to trade it in for niner green. We can put out flyers too so kids can just bring their stuff from home. Then we take the clothes the kids gave us and give it to salvation army or something. Theres a mens shelter I’ve volunteered at that I would like to give it to but we can decide later.

I guess that pretty much covers it. All the logistics can be worked out later. If anyone wants to do it, let me know. I think this is a great cause on all fronts. If this has been done already or anything, please let me know about it.

Not bad.

Any idea that can boost Niner Pride should be persued.

Good idea…roll with it.

49or, I say go for it.

Any way we get get more gear is good with me. Plus, I think the donation/charity side will make this a lot easier to accomplish.

Just remember, there is a lot of Charlotte crap out there that people can buy. We need an alternative where we can buy nice Charlotte gear.

Raising the money to do this will be extremely difficult.

Link: [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12847][B]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12847[/B][/URL]

I remember reading that post when it was new but had forgotten they had an organization. I may see what they are up to but I thought they just were focusing on the NN shirts.

Im sure the money will be hard to raise, but Im sure we will do it. Who wouldnt want to donate money to help out UNCC and the needy all at once. As long as we try and stay positive, im sure it can be done.

If anyone wants to do this, please let me know. Maybe send me a PM with your contact info and we’ll get this thing rolling. I just need support. The more people the better.

A few things…

-Thanks for posting that article HP, I had no idea it got posted here.

-The charity has nothign to do with shirts anymore. The founder is the guy who co-started the original Niner Nation shirts that began going out 2 years ago. He used the name in starting the charity, but we can’t sell shirts anymore for a large number of reasons. The shirts the article mentioned the kids getting are a set of Niner Nation shirts that a group memeber’s family donated (or gave at cost which is still amazing). They aren’t, and can’t be sold due to student organizatioin laws.

-The trade your other school gear for Charlotte gear was attempted (very poorly attempted) at the pre-Basketball Madness Bonfire. A few of us arrived maybe 30 minutes after it started and they had already given out all of the Niner Nation shirts without having a single piece of other school gear being thrown on the fire.

-There were talks last year that there are an excess of extremely cheap leftover Charlotte shirts floating around either at Grays or at the on-campus Bookstore. Like boxes of them. Contacting both bookstores would be a good start. If they still exist(the boxes of shirts), they will be willing to get rid of them for an absurdly low price. If not, both the campus bookstore and Gray’s have really good sales over the summer on decent stuff. Last year I got a few Charlotte shirts for about $3 a piece. The campus store just had a sidewalk sale a couple of weeks ago, so I’m not sure if they will have something like that again (but either way, they should have some leftovers from it they need to get rid of).

-I will check into the possibility of the charity using leftover funds to purchase shirts for this. The rules for student organizations are tricky, but I think something like this could pass.

Great idea 49or, glad to see people motivated like you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in any way with this.

I would like to “tweak your idea a little” and raise money for shirts or get people to give you there old Charlotte gear and give it away directly to the people that need it and skip the exchange part. This would be an easier sell to get people to donate.

I guess we’ll know when we REALLY hit the big time is when some perp is paraded before the cameras by the cops in NINER gear. lol I’ve seen some really funny dudes in tar hole and dook wear being arrested. I once saw a crime show about a killer and they showed his car and it had a UAB tag on the front. HA!

A few things...

-Thanks for posting that article HP, I had no idea it got posted here.

-The charity has nothign to do with shirts anymore. The founder is the guy who co-started the original Niner Nation shirts that began going out 2 years ago. He used the name in starting the charity, but we can’t sell shirts anymore for a large number of reasons. The shirts the article mentioned the kids getting are a set of Niner Nation shirts that a group memeber’s family donated (or gave at cost which is still amazing). They aren’t, and can’t be sold due to student organizatioin laws.

-The trade your other school gear for Charlotte gear was attempted (very poorly attempted) at the pre-Basketball Madness Bonfire. A few of us arrived maybe 30 minutes after it started and they had already given out all of the Niner Nation shirts without having a single piece of other school gear being thrown on the fire.

-There were talks last year that there are an excess of extremely cheap leftover Charlotte shirts floating around either at Grays or at the on-campus Bookstore. Like boxes of them. Contacting both bookstores would be a good start. If they still exist(the boxes of shirts), they will be willing to get rid of them for an absurdly low price. If not, both the campus bookstore and Gray’s have really good sales over the summer on decent stuff. Last year I got a few Charlotte shirts for about $3 a piece. The campus store just had a sidewalk sale a couple of weeks ago, so I’m not sure if they will have something like that again (but either way, they should have some leftovers from it they need to get rid of).

-I will check into the possibility of the charity using leftover funds to purchase shirts for this. The rules for student organizations are tricky, but I think something like this could pass.

Great idea 49or, glad to see people motivated like you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in any way with this.

Its too bad that the Madness attempt went wrong, but at least some kids got a charlotte shirt. That sounds like a good idea about getting it from bookstores. Id much rather get it from the school bookstore so that we could be giving the money to the school instead of Greys. Thats awsome if we can use that 200 to get us started. You can definetly pass out flyers.

Oh, and I dont know if I said this, but im not just talking about shirts. I want trade hats, and sweaters, and anything else you can think of.

Heres a run over of how think this should go down:

We draw up the plans. Show them to the people you need to to get the 200 available. Contact the bookstores and see what they can do for us. (We must make sure this stuff they want to sell is good. I dont want to be giving junk to the charlotte kids.) Once we have an idea of the money we need, we attempt to raise money. CMack might know the most about this but my proposals are to walk around campus and ask, ask people on here (tho getting the money may be difficult), go around to area neighborhoods and ask (I dont know if door to door stuff is looked down upon.) Once the money is aquired, send out flyers letting people know we are doing this. A week or so later, we set up 1 booth at the Belk Tower and possibley another somewhere else, tho 1 should be fine I think. After that, the trade goes down, and we have other school stuff. Then its just a matter of going to whereever we are donating this stuff at and dropping it off. I think the money raising may need to happen until Fall classes start. This way we can get the new freshman to give us their stuff and also have plenty of time to raise the money. It seems to late to do it this year.

One BIG issue: I need people!! Sounds like CMack is down and maybe he can get his associates. If anyone on here wants to help, let me know. As little or as much as you want to help is fine. I just need more man power.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and support! Keep it comin.

I would like to "tweak your idea a little" and raise money for shirts or get people to give you there old Charlotte gear and give it away directly to the people that need it and skip the exchange part. This would be an easier sell to get people to donate.

I see what your saying. But I think the draw of brand new charlotte gear and giving to the needy will be as good if not better. I know CMack did it, but in my opinion Madness was the wrong forum because people were all hyped up and probably distracted.

If we do end up failing to get people to trade, then perhaps we can use your idea. We’ll have the shirts, we can just change what we say we we are doing and add on the donation of all charlotte gear. The old gear may have a problem because it might be pretty messed up, or people may have reservations about used clothes.

[QUOTE=49or bust;168810]I see what your saying. But I think the draw of brand new charlotte gear and giving to the needy will be as good if not better. I know CMack did it, but in my opinion Madness was the wrong forum because people were all hyped up and probably distracted.

If we do end up failing to get people to trade, then perhaps we can use your idea. We’ll have the shirts, we can just change what we say we we are doing and add on the donation of all charlotte gear. The old gear may have a problem because it might be pretty messed up, or people may have reservations about used clothes.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it’s used or messed up…I think it’s just stuff that hasn’t sold. Right??

I don't think it's used or messed up...I think it's just stuff that hasn't sold. Right??

Oh, no. I was thinking BTN was saying we get people to give their old niner gear away to give to the kids that need it. And I was think that that stuff might be old or messed up or something. Im sure the bookstore stuff will be new.

I really like the idea. Are we going to set up a paypal for donation of some sort? I am too far away to be able to participate the event, but I’ll donate some money.

There are some problems with this that I think are being ignored.

People that come here and still wear other school’s clothes are usually from one of 3 mindsets, none of which will take easily to the swap campaign:

1. They are here only to get an education and don’t consider Charlotte [I]their[/I] school (they couldn’t afford/get into the school of their choice, their girl/boy friend attends here and they followed them, etc…)

2. They don’t consider us a [I]real[/I] school (i.e. we don’t have a football team, or they think we’re just some satellite campus)
    *as a corollary to point 2, why toss or trade your alternative school gear when you (fairly) cheer for them during the football season?

3. A lot of people will wear anything if it [I]looks good[/I]; it’s got nothing to do with showing support for anything at all. Giving them niner gear that was so ugly the bookstore couldn’t sell any won’t sway them from their habits one bit. Hell, I’m a Charlotte fanatic and won’t wear most of the stuff in the bookstore because it’s so ugly.

I think your heart is in the right place 49or, but I really don’t think you’re going to get the result you’re hoping for.

There are some problems with this that I think are being ignored.

People that come here and still wear other school’s clothes are usually from one of 3 mindsets, none of which will take easily to the swap campaign:

1. They are here only to get an education and don’t consider Charlotte their school (they couldn’t afford/get into the school of their choice, their girl/boy friend attends here and they followed them, etc…)

2. They don’t consider us a real school (i.e. we don’t have a football team, or they think we’re just some satellite campus)
    *as a corollary to point 2, why toss or trade your alternative school gear when you (fairly) cheer for them during the football season?

3. A lot of people will wear anything if it looks good; it’s got nothing to do with showing support for anything at all. Giving them niner gear that was so ugly the bookstore couldn’t sell any won’t sway them from their habits one bit. Hell, I’m a Charlotte fanatic and won’t wear most of the stuff in the bookstore because it’s so ugly.

I think your heart is in the right place 49or, but I really don’t think you’re going to get the result you’re hoping for.

i agree, I think we as a fanbase and especially as a University we need to do a better job at making everyone feel a part of something. Once that happens and people start to care more about the school and have pride in it, then I think you’ll see less “other” clothing.

What will it take? A lot… Football will help, maybe the name change, etc.

You could be right roasty. But I see Duke crap all the time. Im sorry, but no one roots for Duke football. Thats like rooting for whatever the team is that plays against the Globetrotters. Nor do I beleive they root for UNCCH football. So I think it is mostly just kids who havnt gotten into the spirit of UNCC. Kids who still root for Dook and UNCCH bball deep in their bandwagon little hearts. Kids who, I agree, dont consider this their school. They are just here.

But perhaps we can send out fliers that may get to them. Use words that make them realize they are living in denial. “This is Charlotte. Be proud, your a niner.” Something. I dont know if I know how to say it without being too rude, but I bet the words are out there to get these kids on the right side. A nice way of saying, “Stop living in denial. Duke, UNCCH, whoever, they dont want you! Thats why they didnt pick you. But we do. Go with the school who’s head isnt too big for them to walk. How about rooting for YOUR team, not theirs.” Something like that. With the right message, we can get people. Dont you think?

One thing I just thought of real quick was what if we got the bball team involved. I know Id have more pride if the one Niner shirt i had was given to me by Coach lutz. If mad man Leemire Goldwire was the guy who gave me my cap. That would get me pumped.

I guess the problem, after even being able to get the team to do that, would be that the people who dont care, dont care. They wouldnt care about Lutz I guess. I dont know, just an idea.

Sorry for posting 3 times in a row. About the paypal thing, walaboom, I dont know anything about that stuff but once we are sure what we are doing and what not, we will probably set one up. I can send you a PM if we set one up if youd like, or u can just keep checking here. The only thing is this will be a 5 month project if we do it so I dont know when the paypal will be set up, but like i said, i can let you know when it is.

49or, I like the idea. I know people who go to games and are fans of the team but don’t have a Charlotte t-shirt. They cost money, if your parents don’t buy you one during SOAR then a lot of kids really just don’t get a shirt. I know the only one I had for 2 or 3 years was the one my parents bought me during our visit here to check out the campus.

Actively peddling this idea could make it successful. Setting up a booth and asking everybody who walks by in a Duke shirt to trade won’t be very successful I don’t think. But going after people at the locations where they have their cloths (DORMS!) could work very well. Walk through Moore during move-in week and you will have a lot of people willing to trade I think. This isn’t something people are going to go out of their way to be a part of, but if we come to them with the offer, it could work.

The money from the charity is on the table, we lose it at the end of the semester and we only need a small amount of it for charity doings. So we can buy shirts, print charity flyers and go from there. It probably won’t happen this semester. But if we can get these shirts with our money, they can sit in a box all summer, no big deal. It will be great promotion for the charity at the beginning of next semester and it will get Charlotte gear in the hands of students (probably new students).

If you really want to do this, and I think that we should, contact the Bookstores about possibly getting some cheap stuff. If nothing else we can go buy 30 Niner Nation shirts and at least it will be something, we have all summer to work on getting more. But we will lose the money if it is not spent.