Favorite 49er Vids

Nah. That game was just okay. :expressionless:

Colson was so good though…I haven’t seen a PG anywhere near as good since I have been following the team in '94.

2 Likes

Completely agree. And from my Niner perspective, it was awesome. From my Hoya perspective…

Colson was amazing and benefited greatly by having Demarco. We haven’t had a post/pg paring like that in a long time.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Demon and Rodney may have been a better overall PG to post 1-2 punch but not in a traditional sense (Demon was more of a 2G and Rodney was more of a stretch 4…both were real 3pt threats).

Colson was as true of a PG as you can have (who could occasionally hit a 3)…and Demarco was a true back to the basket low post player with a myriad of post moves (who could occasional hit a 3).

So fun to watch them operate…it really was surgical.

3 Likes

clt says colson ice.

DB and RW were really good, but Colson and DJ were probably our best combo in the last 25 years. Sean was an assist machine and he could shoot the rock as well,when needed.

1 Like

hopefully young and garcia are our new super combo.

Baldwin and Withers weren’t a bad combo either. Braz could have been amazing with better PG play and PH and JD could have been way better with legit post play.

Withers was very much Demarco-like and could have been even better with a Colson type PG. Baldwin didn’t hurt him but he was no Colson by a long shot.

And yes… if PH would have had a Demarco or Withers…he would have been to multiple NCAA dances for sure!

PH had braz, phil(i think), clayton. he should have gone to multiple ncaa’s. unfortunately major was his coach.

Braz and PH overlapped only one year I believe.

The coaching point is absolutely valid…but no disrespect to Braz, Phil or Willie…but they were not Withers or Demarco by a long shot.

Demarco & Withers played in the so much tougher CUSA 1.0…where Demarco was a 2 time 1st Team all CUSA selection and CUSA Player of the Year his Sr year… and drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft. He was also a 2 time Honorable Mention All American by AP & the Sporting News.
By Withers’ SR year, he too was a 2 time 1st Team All CUSA selection and was named to preseason Wooden Award list (Top 50 national player), Naismith Trophy and Rupp Award…was also Honorable Mention All American by SI…and was a starter for Team USA Under 21 National Team

Henry Williams, Jarvis Lang, Demarco Johnson, Curtis Withers…Basden (2 Time CUSA Defensive Player of the Year, CUSA Player of the Year, All Time CUSA steals leader) and Colson too (only here for 2 seasons but is #5 Alltime in Assists - #1 All time in Assists per game at 7.1…and his 2 seasons are #1 & #3 in assists per season) …We just seemed to always have 1 of those guys…that was just a different breed of player back then…on the roster from the mid-90s to the early 2000’s.

We just didn’t know how lucky we were to have them and to be able to watch them.

IMO…PH is probably as close to them as any we have had in recent memory…he just didn’t have much help…supporting cast and coaching wise to do the things those other guys were able to do.

3 Likes

I believe Young and Davis have already won more accolodes than PH did, for whatever that’s worth.

Guards have never really been a huge issue for us. Post players and wings are the big difference since the 90s.

Agreed. I just believe PH had a skill set (size, length, defensive ability) that would have garnered far more individual accolades if he had a decent coach and a post presence that could have helped the team advance to compete for Conference titles and NCAA appearances. You don’t get accolades no matter how good/talented you are if you are on a team finishing in the bottom third of the A10 or CUSA 2.0.

Braz I think could have been an all time great for us if he hadnt got caught up in the coaching change.

Also PH didn’t have Phil. Phil only played the fall semester of Major’s first season. PH arrived the following year.

You mean kind of like JD’s entire time at Charlotte? Even for Young we were only roughly a .500 CUSA team. I do believe we’re going in the right direction. Just saying neither JD or Young played on a top conference team either.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like