Favorite 49er Vids

2 Likes

The great Henry Williams!!

1 Like

Diego, Galen, Jobey, Charles Hayward

3 Likes

Hope to relive some games like this in the AAC soon…

1 Like

Came across this while searching for something else. I had never seen his game. The Niners go up against one of the best college basketball teams I have ever seen. The Niners had a great season, winning the Metro and going to the NCAA that season.

2 Likes

That’s when Jarvis Lang was hurt. I remember that game well. Watched it half drunk over at Orchard Trace. That Duke team won the NC, and we played with them, but we really missed Jarvis. Would it have gone differently with him? We will never know, but at the time, I thought so.

That niner team was LOADED. Henry and Trigger in the backcourt. They were so much fun to watch.

Those pre-HD videos look absolutely ancient now. Disturbing. Even the stuff from the mid 2000s. HD changed the game.

Sometimes ran a big line up with Odom and Bolly together. Forgot that. Bolly has always been a dedicated Niner thru and thru.

1 Like

The younger 49er fans need to watch that video to understand what 49er basketball used to be about.

As amazing as that Duke team was (and they were one of the all time great teams), we were right there with them if we had a healthy Jarvis Lang (18.9 / 10.5). I do not believe there is any video of the game from the prior year, but Henry had 22 in that game and Lang, who was a frosh that year, went the hell off on them… I think he had like 25 and 12 but I’d have to look it up. I remember that was when Charles Barkley was singing his praises. With the way Duke was dominating us inside, Lang was a huge loss.

Still, even without Lang: Henry Williams (possibly our best player ever), James “Trigger” Terrell, Delano Johnson, Cedric Broadhurst, Rodney “Ogre” Odom, Jack Bolly, Kenny Wylie, Malru “the Barber” Dottin… That was a freaking squad. Then add Jarvis “I rip the rim off the backboard” Lang… They would mop the floor with our current team (sad to say).

1 Like

OK, certainly not a favorite video, but I just came across this. I feel like this doesn’t warrant its own thread. Niner content begins at 1:29.

https://twitter.com/ColoneMark/status/1504834366337261577

Seemed topical.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Not a vid, but IIRC they closed this down right after I started school…

https://twitter.com/charlotte_shots/status/1508853540751495171

There was a girl on the diving team (I think?) back then that I and a lot of other guys had a thing for…

Spent a lot of time working out in that pool in the late 80s and early 90s. A whole summer even when I was injured.