Favorite Musical Artists

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;177513]That’s awesome craig :happy:

I have a buddy, who’s boss’ son was a touring guitarist for teenage fanclub. Not as cool as your story.

I love that Camera Obscura song. Deerhoof isnt bad either.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I’ve been waiting for years to uncork that story. Camera Obscura is coming to NC in July.

I too like the flaming lips, ever been to one of their concerts?

Up in Chapel Hill, I bet? Maybe Ziggy’s? No way they play here. I’d like to see that show.

Yeah, I kinda went on and on about it on another board. Saw them in Atlanta a few weeks ago. It was a blast. They’re ridiculously over the top, but it’s a lotta fun. Definitely a better live act than a studio one.

Cool. Maybe the best rock concert I ever went to was theirs. In NC, 1995 I think, the Archers of Loaf opened for them.
Neal Pollack envys the Lips because of their success.

Have they gone too far with the showanship? Probably. Atleast there’s some anti-showmanship in the showmanship, like when Wayne squirts blood on his face. Does he still do that? I hope he still does that.

NA, the Neal Pollack book “Never Mind the Pollacks” reminds me of you. I bet you’d really dig it, the first 50 pages anyway.

Camera Obscura is playing at the Cat’s Cradle, that’s all I know. I’ve got to work on that day, but I might swap with someone so I can go. I don’t go to enough rock concerts… one a year maybe.

I’ll have to pick that up. Hopefully, that’s a flattering comparison… ha!

I’m gettin to be too old to go - unless you look like Cheech, you kinda stick out at a show at my age. But I still love seeing bands play live. Nothing compares to a good live rock show. Like Wayne said - it’s a couple of hours to just absolutely forget all the shit in your life and have a good time.

If you want, I can PM you some links to the Atlanta show. A couple of people recorded parts of it from the audience (it was an outdoor festival sponsored by Southern Comfort). As I babbled then, Wayne rolled up on stage inside a giant inflatable ball, with an entourage of dozens of santa clauses & space aliens (all wielding spotlights that they waved all around for a crazy giant disco ball effect), a couple of (hot!) girls dressed as angels, a 15’ tall inflatable bunny rabbit, and a midget dressed in a Captain America costume. Oh, and of course, the obligatory barrage of giant balloons into the audience. They had a huge multimedia screen doing an operatic Star Wars type intro that ended with a giant expletive about how good of a time we were gonna have, and they later showed a completely smoking naked girl smearing wasabi all over herself. So yeah, it was over the top. Just a bit. :wink: But Wayne didnt do the blood thing. I think he was stoned on something though. Not sure how he self medicates these days.

Their shows really are a good time. I was still smiling the next day.

Damn. Sure, who wouldn’t want links to that?
After their shows I always feel really good… super validated.
I went to a party after one of their concerts once…
the women, damn. I mean, the feeling is magnetic or something. You don’t even have to say anything. You can’t hold it in.

anyone ever heard this

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/zouyanlu/www/Nickelback_-_How_You_Remind_Me_Of_Someday.mp3

they plagarized one hit to make another, hahaha

Yeah…heard it. Makes me laugh every time.

The NEW song on the radio sounds a LOT like those too, though I haven’t affirmed if it’s the same chords as well. That one that goes “I’m fallin…I’m fallin’…I’m fallin’…”

someone needs to try this against 3 doors Down and any other band where it seems like all their songs sound the same

[QUOTE=49erDrummer;185259] That one that goes “I’m fallin…I’m fallin’…I’m fallin’…”[/QUOTE]

I hate that song, I only liked their first CD before they got big though

I hate Nickelback. They are crappy and uncreative. This just shows how lame they are.

Armin Van Buuren, Dream Theater, Radiohead, Coheed and Cambria

prog rock fan, huh pip?

I think C&C tries too hard to sound like sped up Rush, maybe borrowing heavily from At The Drive In. That’s just my $.02.

I have too many bands to list. I love classic rock. Locally, the Sammies are awesome. I hate whenever I miss there shows and everyone should go check them out.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;185431]prog rock fan, huh pip?

I think C&C tries too hard to sound like sped up Rush, maybe borrowing heavily from At The Drive In. That’s just my $.02.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. C&C may try too hard but I like to listen to it while I work, it’s complex enough to keep me busy and pleasing enough to the ear to not give me a headache - The recording quality is good.

The Roots, Sigur Ros, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Bjork, Animal Collective, Sufjan Stevens, Cat Power, Beastie Boys, Regina Spektor, Wu Tang, Mos Def, Hieroglyphics

I could keep listing all day long.

Just curious, but does anyone know who Townes Van Zandt is? I just discovered him and he is awesome! If you like good country music, def check him out.

As I Lay Dying

there we go…thought that genre would never be tapped into. fitting that it comes from a drummer…their drummer is absolutely unconscious amazing. if you like their music, you should try All That Remains out…another amazing drummer.

as for me…ill just throw around some great ones.

Eric Clapton
Explosions in the Sky
Howard Shore
Hans Zimmer
Bayside
RHCP
The Who
The Wallflowers
Rise Against
Snow Patrol
Allman Brothers Band
Marshall Tucker Band
Pink Floyd
Damien Rice
OAR
Johnathan Rice
Dave Matthews
The Eagles
Underoath
Silverstein
Senses Fail
Motion City Soundtrack
As I Lay Dying
Escape the Fate
Every Time I Die
Secret Lives of the Freemasons
All That Remains

EDIT:

Anyone else use Last.fm here? It’s freakin sweet…similar to myspace/facebook except it’s all about music. You make a profile and download it on your computer, and your friends can see your most played/recently played songs in your personal profile. It recommends music based on what you listen to and measures your music taste compatibility with your friends. If you haven’t used it/tried it, check it out at http://www.last.fm

Bumping an old one for this:

2 Likes

Amazing artist and performer.

Very very sad news. She was one of the greats.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/John_Fogerty/status/1661466818903523339

Funny. If someone would say Tina’s Proud Mary is better than CCR’s, I’d assume that they have poorer taste in music.

She is an icon. Such a great artist.