FD postgame transcript from NinerReport

I dont really understand why college sports are different? But your right, it is a dead horse.

for starters, the NCAA is based largely on perceptions. You want an at large?? Subjectivity plays a role.

you also have to understand that there are 341 D1 teams, the competition has far more disparity in college than pro. The reason Lutz was apologizing is because he knows they should of throttled FD.

Meh, I dunno.

If the Pats beat the Dolphins by a last second touchdown, does it really matter? They still won the game. I dont see why this is any different for college sports. If UCLA beat Podunk U on a last second half court buzzer beater, does it really matter? It still counts as a win no matter what.

HUGE difference HUGE difference. In pro sports, a W is a W. Not so in college.

for starters, the NCAA is based largely on perceptions. You want an at large?? Subjectivity plays a role.

If Kansas beats every cupcake on their schedule by one point, and still ends with 20+ wins, they still get an at large. The committee doesnt care how bad you beat a team. The point spread doesnt mean anything. It did in college football at one point, but people realized how stupid that was and fixed it.

you also have to understand that there are 341 D1 teams, the competition has far more disparity in college than pro. The reason Lutz was apologizing is because he knows this.

There ya go. Thatā€™s exactly the reason. Perceptions have a much bigger role in college sports. They play little role in, say, the NFL, except for making teams feel like they arenā€™t getting enough respect. If UCLA only beats Podunk U by a point, they could slip in the rankings and get a worse seed in the big dance. If the Patriots only beat the Dolphins by a point, it makes for fun TV, but it doesnā€™t affect their attempts at securing home field advantage.

A team could get credited with winning the close games. Being able to pull out 30 1-5 point games might look better than 30 10 point wins. But I KNOW some will disagree, they have tooā€¦

There ya go. That's exactly the reason. Perceptions have a much bigger role in college sports. They play little role in, say, the NFL, except for making teams feel like they aren't getting enough respect. If UCLA only beats Podunk U by a point, they could slip in the rankings and get a worse seed in the big dance. If the Patriots only beat the Dolphins by a point, it makes for fun TV, but it doesn't affect their attempts at securing home field advantage.

Iā€™m very sure that you would have a hard time finding a case where a team received a lower seed because they didnt beat a cupcake by enough points. It doesnt happen.

[QUOTE=casstommy;280383]If Kansas beats every cupcake on their schedule by one point, and still ends with 20+ wins, they still get an at large. The committee doesnt care how bad you beat a team. The point spread doesnt mean anything. It did in college football at one point, but people realized how stupid that was and fixed it.[/QUOTE]

If another team has the same record as Kansas, with a similar strength of schedule and beat everyone by 10-20, that team would get a higher seed than Kansas or even take Kansasā€™ spot.

So what if we beat ALL of the top 10 teams by 35 and beat the Worst top 10 teams by 1ā€¦

Some might say, ā€œWe play up to tough opponents, and play down to easier opponentsā€¦Keep them out of the tournamentā€ ???

I think perception only matters on bubble teamsā€¦ a little anyway

If another team has the same record as Kansas, with a similar strength of schedule and beat everyone by 10-20, that team would get a higher seed than Kansas or even take Kansas' spot.

I dont think they scan teams margin of victories to seed teams with similiar records. In a situation like that, if two schools had similiar records or SOS, why wouldnt they just give the higher seed to the team with the better RPI? It seems like a much better way of doing it then by judging if they beat a cupcake by a margin you deem to be fit.

the FD game has zip to do with any NCAA seedings, in the end its a W

It more/less is a barometer of where we are TODAY in my mind. I expected a 15-20 margin, and a 6 point win at home tells me we are still nowhere close to being legit. Even with our youth, you gotta demolish sisters of the poor.

Posts #3-8 in this thread echo much of my own thoughts of the game.

When I heard Bobby apologize, I didnā€™t think he had anything to apologize for. The team played good defense for most of the game, set up looks close to the basket, and chased down the offensive rebounds.

Still, shooting percentages in the 30s - both behind the arc and close to the basket - is pitiful. I liked many of the looks we got for the most part - but the player has got to get it to go through. To use a bad baseball analogy, itā€™s like a batter in a slump ā€¦ you donā€™t want to necessarily f*** with his stance. I donā€™t necessarily want to f*** with the shot selection and Iā€™m hoping the players continue to feed each other the ball for good looks inside - rather than to feel as though they canā€™t trust their teammates to hit the shot.

[QUOTE=metro;280334]Really? Didnā€™t know that. Thats a very good sign. So Lutz was upset with the performance, but various posters in the other thread were content with the FD gameā€¦interesting. :shades:[/QUOTE]

FD is playing Rhode Island tonight. Might tell us something.

[QUOTE=metro;280397]the FD game has zip to do with any NCAA seedings, in the end its a W

It more/less is a barometer of where we are TODAY in my mind. I expected a 15-20 margin, and a 6 point win at home tells me we are still nowhere close to being legit. Even with our youth, you gotta demolish sisters of the poor.[/QUOTE]

I guess we were legit a week before beating GW by 32.

I guess we were legit a week before beating GW by 32.

Lefty,
youā€™d be shining Lutzā€™ twenties doing cartwheels if we beat North Meck at Halton on a last second Plavich hail mary. :biggrin: I am sure weā€™d read some comment like ā€œNorth Meck has several outstanding athletes.ā€

lower the bar, lower the bar, lower the bar

Lefty, you'd be shining Lutz' twenties doing cartwheels if we beat North Meck at Halton on a last second Plavich hail mary. :biggrin: I am sure we'd read some comment like "North Meck has several outstanding athletes."

lower the bar, lower the bar, lower the bar

I understand your premise in general. I was not happy with a close game against FD either. And, like you mentioned earlier, a 1 point win may not affect your seeding but it can be used a barometer for the team overall. But on the other hand UNC CH only beat Davidson by 4, Duke beat them by 6, NC State beat them by 1, while we beat them by 7.

I understand your premise in general. I was not happy with a close game against FD either. And, like you mentioned earlier, a 1 point win may not affect your seeding but it can be used a barometer for the team overall. But on the other hand UNC CH only beat Davidson by 4, Duke beat them by 6, NC State beat them by 1, while we beat them by 7.

Therefore we could beat Duke by 1, State by 6, Carolina by 3. Itā€™s simple science, it HAS to be correct.

Wowā€¦ pretty incredible actually. I actually said that to a friend who was a UNCCH fan. I also said that they are scared to play us, I also questioned is UNCCH fanship by birth. He actually goes to Charlotte and wheres the hideous [SIZE=5]*****[/SIZE] blue to class. Pretty sad huh? You have my permission to spray paint his shirt GREEN!!!

Therefore we could beat Duke by 1, State by 6, Carolina by 3. It's simple science, it HAS to be correct.

Wowā€¦ pretty incredible actually. I actually said that to a friend who was a UNCCH fan. I also said that they are scared to play us, I also questioned is UNCCH fanship by birth. He actually goes to Charlotte and wheres the hideous [SIZE=5]*****[/SIZE] blue to class. Pretty sad huh? You have my permission to spray paint his shirt GREEN!!!

I donā€™t really believe in this type of math. My point is to address the idea of stepping on an opponents throat when youā€™re supposed to. Just saying slip-ups happen to this best teams in the country.

[QUOTE=Normmm;280423]I understand your premise in general. I was not happy with a close game against FD either. And, like you mentioned earlier, a 1 point win may not affect your seeding but it can be used a barometer for the team overall. But on the other hand UNC CH only beat Davidson by 4, Duke beat them by 6, NC State beat them by 1, while we beat them by 7.[/QUOTE]

Let me add in also that even though Davidson lost those games, they broke into the top 25 by hanging tight with Chapel Hill. And for some reason, they recieved one vote in this weekā€™s coaches poll after being close with NC State. And their record is 4-6! I know that is just the coaches poll, but margins count in mid season polls and on selection sunday they can serve as a tie breaker.

Let me add in also that even though Davidson lost those games, they broke into the top 25 by hanging tight with Chapel Hill. And for some reason, they recieved one vote in this week's coaches poll after being close with NC State. And their record is 4-6! I know that is just the coaches poll, but margins count in mid season polls and on selection sunday they can serve as a tie breaker.

I know you mentioned it was the coaches poll. But the media and some of the general public has fallen in love with Davidson. Similarly how they did with Duke and Gonzaga.

[QUOTE=Normmm;280438]I know you mentioned it was the coaches poll. But the media and some of the general public has fallen in love with Davidson. Similarly how they did with Duke and Gonzaga.[/QUOTE]

I know this is leading off topic of the thread, but I am appauled that a 4-6 team would recieve a vote. I donā€™t care who they played close. They need to beat at the very least two of those teams to justify that action.