Fire Ron Sanchez

Well, he said we had our best year since 2001. Record wise that may be true. Pretty sure our teams from 2002-2005 would defeat our team from this past season on most days.
I have no disagreement with him that coachesā€™ jobs at the mid major level have been made more complicated and difficult by NIL and the portal. He commented both on the importance of winning and the process, so maybe those are conjoined in his mind.
The comment on winning was near the beginning in reference to tournament play and the comment on process near the end of the interview.

There are really only three explanations:

1. Mike is stubborn and doesnā€™t want to admit he fucked up by firing both of his first hires the same year
  2. Mike is not good at his job
  3. we canā€™t afford a buyout

#2 can work in tandem with #1 and #3, so more than one answer is acceptable.

1 Like

Weā€™re not good and some people seem to be fine with it. Iā€™m not. Nothing more I can say. I given my opinion and I guess it really doesnā€™t matter.

Iā€™ll tailgate at football because it fun but thatā€™s about the extent of it to me. Guess Iā€™ve become what I always hated. Iā€™m now a sawdust fan. Iā€™ll come out of the woodwork if we win

2 Likes

Donā€™t be hard on yourself. Iā€™m sure youā€™ve paid your dues. Enjoy the spring game.

1 Like

Oh god. Heā€™s back.

I thought you crawled away from this thread when you wimped out on responding Tuesday after the transfer portal entries were announced.

I guess you figured enough time has passed.

It hasnā€™t.

Let me dumb this down for you Ted.

This is a fan message board for those that love forty niner sports. This is the place for us to rant and rail about everything.

If you donā€™t understand and accept that then thatā€™s on you Ted.

By the way. You used except instead of accept. Please check your grammar and stop embarrassing yourself.

Iā€™m not going to pose the question to you again because you have proven youā€™re not going to answer it.

Youā€™re going to continue to contribute nonsensical posts to this board.

And youā€™re going to continue calling for the forty niner community to accept mediocrity.

Iā€™m seriously thinking about muting this guy because he makes no sense whatsoever.

Just listened to the interview.

I gotta tell ya fellas - Every single thing Ron Sanchez said makes perfect senseā€¦

ā€¦if he was the Coach at Western Carolina.

That was unbelievably depressing. Going off of that, he has himself and Mike Hill sold on the idea that we should all just be happy to be even sniffing the asses of NIT teams.

That was one of the most depressing moments of my entire 49er fandom. The glee he has in pounding his chest over his 18-14, 1st round CUSA tournament exit season was nauseating. And then he had the audacity to say it was the best 49er season since 2001.

Get the fuck out of here. You donā€™t even know or respect our history Ron. We finished in 2nd place in 2004-05 in a MUCH better CUSA and produced the 2004-05 CUSA POY. In a league that featured a #4 (AP Poll) Louisville team and received 4 NCAA bids, 3 of which were #7 or better.

That 49er team won 21 games and only lost 8 in that league that had 4 teams in the RPI top 50, which was the measuring stick of the day. 33-5 Louisville was #10 in the RPI, 25-8 Cincinnati was #24, 22-11 UAB was #46. And little old Charlotte? #36. Four teams in the RPI top 50, and 6 teams (#64 DePaul and #75 TCU) were in the top 75. Hell, 3 more were in the top 100 (Memphis, Houston, and Marquette).

But waitā€¦ you know whatā€™s worse? The year before was even better!!

We finished TIED for 1st in the #5 rated league in the country, which sent not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5ā€¦ Yes 6, SIX !!! teams to the NCAAs.

Ron, donā€™t you dare compare your shitty 18-14 first round CUSA tournament flame out to that. Or your inability to keep any decent player on the roster. Youā€™ve now lost Jahmir Young, Brice Williams, Aly Khalifa, and hell, even Cooper Robb, who almost beat you by himself in your precious participation trophy exhibition tournament.

Ron, whatā€™s the worst of all is that every bit of your excuse making involves things that EVERY OTHER PROGRAM has to deal with, and they are not using these things to justify their mediocrity the way you are. They are adapting and overcoming. You said it yourself, Dusty May kept his team together. Thatā€™s why they won the most games in program history and made their first final 4 while you are sitting at home looking for softball questions and ass kissing on some backwater radio station that you know, like you, is just happy to be here. That interview was as soft as baby turds. Just like you.

Fuck off Ron. You suck.

5 Likes

Quick Poll.

Have you muted Ted?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Forgetting the option that Mike is a Chapel Hill plant, hired by a guy we literally called Chapel Hill Phil. Fox in the hen house. All he had to do was convince one or two fans he was a Clemson fan and we completely let our guard down.

Hell yeah Advocate. Post of the year.

Speak it.

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

1 Like

Bobbyā€™s last team would eat his alive and they werenā€™t THAT good.

4 Likes

Not to mention our last NCAA team that Ron overlooked.

1 Like

Not sure I buy that central.

Mike Hill wants to succeed.

Heā€™s not going to ruin his future by intentionally doing a bad job.

And the jury is still out on Mike Hill. I really feel that way. Heā€™s done some good things.

Just like Ron Sanchez wants to succeed.

The difference between Mike and Ron is that the jury is out on Mike and there is still hope and the jury is in on Ron and for some reason the judge has not passed sentence yet.

I think I know the answer as to whatā€™s going on here and I donā€™t want to admit it.

Mike has thrown all of his weight behind Biff Poggi because he believes that itā€™s our best path to relevancy and success.

Since we have somewhat limited finances that means that he has to task Sanchez with just keeping the basketball program dog paddling.

And in the current circumstances that means not trashing his basketball coach or cementing doubt in the players or the fan base about its future so that Sanchez can somehow try to recruit and replace all the talent that heā€™s run off in the past couple of years. And thatā€™s why Sanchez is also spouting off a bunch of ridiculous platitudes and bad comparisons to prior teams, in order to sell how ā€œsuccessfulā€ we are etc. Itā€™s all a sales job. Got to keep basketball afloat and limping along until we get our banner carrying program going.

Great, great , great post about the interview NA! Please send that post to Mike Hill, in some form. I REALLY WOULD LOVE to see his reply, if he sends one.

We are all emotional right now. Losing our two best players will do that to a fan.

But letā€™s just game this out.

Hill may want to let Sanchez go, but if he had not made the decision in time then it may make more sense to wait another year and do a lot of behind the scenes work with agents to find the next coach.

He HAS to nail the next basketball coach hire. If that coach is also a failure he will firmly be in the hot seat unless Poggi is a huge success and he gets Evergreen over the goal line.

Mike Hill if your reading this, please for the love of god look down the conference tree and try to hire a head coach who has had success at a lower level. We need a hotshot with the complete package on his way up.

Remember our all time winning coach was a head coach at a much lower level who had great success before he took an assistant coaching job here.

1 Like

Stop making sense Advocate, lol.

Yeah. I buy your theory.

If he does it would just be some smug response calling fans dumb.

Iā€™ve done it before and I reposted the reply from about 3 years ago. I donā€™t think that my opinion carries any weight with Mike Hill anymore (if it ever did). Iā€™m just a pain in their asses.

Iā€™ve already cut my contributions back to the bare minimum so they donā€™t really care.

1 Like

One other thing - about the CBI tournament. I wanted to believe that paying for that tournament entry was a gamble predicated on keeping the core together for a better run next year. But now I see that it was just a do-over cuz they bombed out in the CUSA tournament. Had to finish stronger than a 1st round CUSA flame out as part of the sales job. I believe they knew they were going to lose key players and so it was never about building for the future no matter how much Sanchez says so.

I think that is underselling. Losing Briceā€¦ He didnā€™t come here for Ron, but came to wear Charlotte on his chest like his Dad. As I understand it, sounds like his family wanted him to stay here as well. Itā€™s a larger failure in his case. If we canā€™t get over the hump in keeping Brice, we have zero chance with anyone else.