Fire Ron Sanchez

Ronā€™s trajectory when looking at coaching stats/finishes is not good. But heckā€¦ he ā€œcouldā€ win the ncaa tourney next year and weā€™ll never know unless we let him try so might as well let him. Healy was gonna win out those remaining games too.

Give Sanchez 100 years unless he scraps this style of play you ainā€™t winning anything that matters.

Did anyone notice during last nights Virginia game against State that they actually blocked out to get an offensive rebound?

2 Likes

Similar to Dean you canā€™t compare the eras. McKillop won mostly by building teams and coaching up young guys until they were juniors and seniors playing fundamentally experienced sound ball. Good luck with that now. Rosters change every year. The one exception is Curry and of course Bob rode him as long as he could, but in todays game does Steph even stay at Davidson after his freshman campaign? 50/50 at best.

Ron may very well be one helluva coach, but weā€™re never gonna know until he convinces himself to be his own style coach and run his own system and no try to copy this boring crap he keeps trying to.
Just my opinion.

1 Like

But Ron is not a helluva coach

Coaches - in any sport - are stubborn by nature. As a coach, your job is to put your players in the best position to succeed on the court or field. Sticking to a system isnā€™t coaching. You have to adapt to your personnel, especially if you cannot get the players to run what you want.

1 Like

To Rons credit the offense has improved since his first year. The part that kills me is we arenā€™t a great defensive team. For a defense first team, designed to deny penetration, we give up a lot of points in the lane and of course it gives up open looks from 3 as well.

2 Likes

After year 4 Smith landed the #1 recruit in the country in Larry Miller and in year 5 had another top 10 recruit in Charlie Scott on the way.

In regards to Coach K, after year 3 he landed 2 of the top 20 players in the country (Dawkins and Alarie) and had another McDonalds AA in Amaker on the way after year 4.

Point isnā€™t that weā€™re in position to land a McDonalds AA, but rather that the recruiting/future of those 2 programs was very, very bright. Conversely, has Sanchez had a top 200 recruit?

1 Like

Hell at this point Iā€™m in on Lutz but he didnā€™t own anyone, especially Huggins

1 Like

Anyone? Really?

No. He won a lot of games but lost a bunch as well. Did he beat Huggins, Cal and Pitino? Yes. But saying owned is a bit much.

2 Likes

yes, but he did ā€œownā€ severalā€¦ask Southern Miss, Houston, even Davidson ā€¦I would say he did enough to ā€œown themā€.

Thatā€™s fair. Would it be fair to say Rick Majerus owned Lutz?

The refā€™s own Sanchez

2 Likes

Majerus my all time favorite coach

Year OOC Record OOC Win % Conf Record Conf Win % Overall Record Win % Offensive Efficiency Conference Tournment W/L Conference Tournament
2018-2019 3-8 27% 5-13 28% 8-21 28% 331 of 353 Did Not Qualify N/A
2019-2020 6-5 55% 10-8 56% 16-13 55% 213 of 353 Cancelled N/A
2020-2021 4-5 44% 5-11 31% 9-16 36% 262 of 348 Lost by 10 0-1
2021-2022 7-6 54% 10-8 56% 17-14 55% 105 of 358 Lost by 12 0-2
2022-2023 9-2 82% 4-8 33% 13-10 57% 72 of 363 TBD TBD
Overall 29-26 53% 34-48 41% 63-74 46% 197 0-2

To NWAā€™s point the offense has improved but zero conference tournament wins and a 46% win record in this weak conference is my main reason for wanting him to go.

1 Like

Our shitty shooting owns Ron

1 Like

I hope we end up with 5 conference wins this season to keep his streak of rotating 5 and 10 conference win seasons going. That conference winning percentage is straight dookie.

2 Likes

Having a 33% or lower conference win percentage every other year is unacceptable with our level of competition.

3 Likes