Fire Ron Sanchez

Think major had a 20 or 21 win year once. Doesn’t matter. Wasn’t good enough, just like lutz’s final years weren’t good enough.

Alan Major won 21 games in his third year which is the only time Charlotte has exceeded the 19 wins Lutz won in the year he was fired. Firing Lutz was the worst thing that ever happened to the Charlotte basketball program.

2 Likes

You are correct, I just found that same stat.

Lutz wasnt even fired for performance. He got canned because Phil and Judy disliked him. That was my issue when he was fired. He shouldnt have been fired for that reason.

Now the hires since then have been bad. Really bad.

Really really need an older coach that can right the ship - hiring younger first time coaches hasn’t worked. Going with the left field NBA guy didnt work. Let’s get the older guy has the experience and can right the ship.

Well maybe thats wishful thinking with finances but if Ron does get let go before he turns it around thats the profile we need.

We need Jeff Mullins part 2

Well I don’t think someone with Jeff’s resume would make either of us happy. We do need someone to do what he did.

We need a Steve Fisher type. Has bigtime experience as a HC elsewhere and either makes us the swan song or the place to get right.

1 Like

Gregg Marshall is free.

Marshall would be a homerun for us. He would stay here until retirement, and we would be a top 40 team. He has baggage, but thats never stopped anyone before.

Yes he should have but we should have hired better after him.

Lutz was recruiting poorly and progressively declining as a coach. Don’t let the failures since his departure clout your memory of him.

2 Likes

My opinion of Lutz has remained the same from the beginning. What has happened since his firing just justifies my opinion. He has gone on to other schools with continued success. You are right and I am wrong. I’m tired of debating the obvious.

Our recruiting sucks now. We have players that get schooled by a D2 team.

I hope in some way this game can be used as a wakeup call for the staff & players. I have very little hope left but maybe something good can come from an awful, inexcusable loss. If things don’t improve by the end of the season Hill needs to force Sanchez to make some serious changes. Whether that means bringing a Lutz or Marshall in as a special assistant (if interested) or bringing someone in to install a new offense or a freaking motivational speaker to get the team ready to play. If this kind of performance continues to happen something has to freaking change. This cannot continue until 2026.

Marshall is absolutely going to be a head coach somewhere next year. The only question is, will it be here?

No, it won’t be here

1 Like

Of course not. Even if our AD hadn’t made absolutely astonishingly stupid extensions, we would never hire a guy like that. We would rather lose to DII schools than hire coaches that need a second chance.

2 Likes

The only thing worse than losing to a division II school is for some of our fans to be so desperate as to want a coach like Marshall

5 Likes

Our recruiting classes have ranked #1 in cusa 2 seasons in a row. Talent isn’t the problem. Maybe heart is. Maybe motivation is.

Talent is definitely part of the problem. Recruiting rankings are for fans. Doesn’t mean much. Matos played 9 mpg for Dayton and 31 mpg for us. Is Dayton that good where they didn’t need him? I know that comparison isn’t everything but it’s little things like that where in times of losing, you pick at these things and makes you wonder why.

19 wins his last year