Fire Ron Sanchez

At the end of the day, Lutz was still 19-12 when he was fired and had a good amount of that team coming back and no one knows what recruits might have come in after that. This “trending in the wrong direction” stuff is just guesswork.

Every year I hear about how great our recruits are going to be and we continue to be less than mediocre. I just can’t take that talk seriously anymore.

2 Likes

Agree. Team is mediocre. You can project talent, but until they suit up and take the floor, you don’t know. Young is legit. Williams has shown flashes this year, but was a ghost last year. Carawell is a bust. Threadgill should be redshirting. Risotto is just a big body. Garcia is raw. Matos and Shepard are average defenders and below average offensively. So it’s not saying much when those recruiting classes come out. Just look at Kentucky this year.

Sanchez in year 3 has lost to ECu, App, Ga st and a D2 school at home and we almost lost to A&T. Hill has to be wondering what’s going on and if he has the same shrug it off attitude as Sanchez does after all these games, then none of this really matters.

I loved Bobby Lutz and always will. He did great things for our program. Where I was losing patience before he left was that he was too dependent on Juco transfers.

Reality is our conference died and we went to the A10 that had zero appeal to fans, coaches or to players. No National brands like Louisville, Memphis, Cincinnati, etc. We are now in a Conference that has even less cache.

I know we can dominate this league, given how bad some of the programs are, but that must start now. I HOPE the awful loss to BA will wake the coach and his players up and be a turning point for Sanchez and team.

1 Like

Still arguing about Lutz’ firing, this many years later.

That 19-12 team absolutely imploded by the end of the season, they lost 7 of their last 8 and there apparently was turmoil among the players already. This was following up on a 11-20 season where the Niners looked terrible. Lutz had one recruit at that point who ended up doing nothing while here, and no real prospects of other good recruits who might come in at what was a really late part of the recruiting process. The program was seriously declining by that point. It was the right decision to fire him then (though I actually think the smarter move would’ve been to let Lutz leave for South Alabama before giving him that ridiculous contract extension). The hires since have clearly not worked out so far, with Price being the worst I think, though Sanchez may give him a run if the team plays like this going forward.

Sanchez at least will have the chance to turn it around, I’m worried he may not do so though. We seem to be recruiting decently, at least for this conference, but it’s up to the coaching staff to take this potential and turn them into a winning team. Not doing that so far, I hope we see Sanchez turn it around. I don’t really understand the extension either, though, seemed unnecessarily long. A year or two to help recruiting, not 5 more years.

1 Like

Yeah, you keep falling on that sword.

Price didn’t seem to have a gameplan. He liked teaching the team to do the pick and roll and shoot free throws, but when they got to the floor nobody knew what to do. Sanchez definitely has a plan. My problem with him is that he seems determined to run it regardless of the outcome, and I assume he believes at some point either the players will get it right, or he will find players that can. In the meantime we lose.

4 Likes

Price loved coaching his son. Can’t blame a father. That’s on Judy.

And Price’s son was a bright spot on the team before he Dad was fired and he left. Feel bad for that kid. Not a way to end a college career

Here is the deal with Bobby. He’s from Catawba County. He went to Bandy’s high school. He was raised around a bunch of country boy softball players with Howard’s. He would rather play in the shootout Saturday morning at Glen Oaks in Maiden (and does) than play in the club championship at the local country club. And he was a hell of a coach with a fire born of that upbringing. It’s why most of us still love him. But it didn’t fit the personality of Judy and Phil from the start. He was very successful and they tolerated each other. Once we made the switch to the A10 the fraying of the relationships had started and it went down hill. It ended when he wasn’t as successful as he or we expected and the relationship crossed the Rubicon.

There is no bigger fan of Bobby Lutz than me. He is from my area and I can relate. But Charlotte left Bobby a long time ago and has veered further away from Bobby’s personality ever since he left. This was evident when he wasn’t included in the inaugural HOF class.

He’s not coming back and because I like him, I would not want him to come back either.

3 Likes

We have some talent on the team, however, Sanchez is not putting them in positions to succeed. Young is the best player on the team , but we continue to let Shepard act like he is the best player. Threadgill is a shooter, but often times he is not in position to shoot. He is either setting a pick or catching the ball at the FT line in a Zone defense. Brice needs to get the ball in scoring positions more often also.

Matos and Shepard are Seniors but have overall been disappointing. In the Belmont Abbey game though, I have to give Shepard a little credit ha he the only one trying to make plays at the end. Was not always successful in making the play, but he was the best guard we had.

The most disappointing was the Out of Bounds play at the end of regulation. That was horrible. Maybe the offense should be turned over to another coach and let Ron stick to the Packline.

1 Like

He doesn’t want to turn the offense over though. The mover blocker is essentially an extension of his defensive philosophy.

Did I kick start a Lutz thread hijack?:slight_smile:

For sure, I am done with hoping an assistant coach “on the rise” will be our savior. We need a head coach that is expressly uncomfortable with losing and fired up about winning at all costs allowed by the ncaa.

Back to Lutz, I believe Lutz was burned out with his situation at Charlotte and we fans were burned out with where he, and Judy, were steering the program. Perhaps Lutz has gotten a refreshed outlook and drive, along with with a diverse reeducation ? One that could at least compete with Abby, Appy and EZU

I was very disenchanted with Bobby toward the end, even though I loved the guy. I felt he was burned out and completely lost focus. Then when the truth began to surface about the sabatoge that Judy and CHP were
pulling, I was pissed !
I was all on board, when Sanchez was hired, to bring back Bobby and still think he could have surrounded himself with recruiters and brought back the excitement and fire we so sorely miss.

I started following the program since my freshman year at Charlotte in 2010. I went to one game before coming to school, but had no clue who Lutz was at the time (home against St Bonaventure in '09 FWIW).

So I’ve been following the program for 10+ years and have never really seen Lutz coach before. I think “water under the bridge” would be an understatement at this point.

And he had a wife that would cuss out loud sitting near Phil during games

You could hear Lutz’ wife clearly on many a radio broadcast. She was much louder than Bobby.

clt hates the pack line. :yawning_face:

Was she yelling “moving screen”?
I sat near her and I must have heard that two million times.
Don’t recall a lot of cussing, though

Listen to Coach K’s wife… She’d make Bobby’s wife blush

Gregg Marshall’s wife might be the craziest of all time… Fran McCaffery’s riding shotgun.