Football Coach Candidates?

Letā€™s not forget that the win against GA State was very luckyā€¦

I think it is also important to note that the only reason we are scoring points is because of Reynolds and the wide receivers. Reynolds and Tucker are super seniors and Healy didnā€™t even recruit them. Can you imagine where we would be if we didnā€™t have them? I will give Healy credit for getting Spencer and Duboseā€¦

1 Like

Here are the opponentā€™s records for all of Healyā€™s wins here. He can win against bad teams but most of those wins were shootouts that required outstanding offensive games by Reynolds and company. Things just arenā€™t headed in the right direction.

3 Likes

At some point you have to look past how much you like Will Healyā€™s personality/energy and look at the results. Barring a massive turnaround this season (I hope it happens) giving Healy another year is hard to justify. Next year will be very difficult.

1 Like

Wow, two wins vrs teams with winning records. I knew it was bad but seeing it on paper just sets the nailā€¦

2 Likes

Better than Lambert. The next coach isnā€™t going to be a smashing success either. We have a big mountain to climb.

Yeah the next coach is going to take over a much worse situation than Healy did. No Reynolds or Tucker and the possibility of losing Dubose to the draft is going to leave the offense pretty young and unproven. The defense is already a mess so if we do replace Healy it will likely take a year or two to get everything headed back in the right direction.

1 Like

Wasnā€™t it Tucker that found Dubose?

1 Like

James Foster found Dubose.

Thank you for the correction. One of our best recruits was found by a player, not a coach.

3 Likes

Some of our other standout players like Highsmith and Reynolds have been walkons.

3 Likes

Need a proven guy if we can get one

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry - Mike Hill has shown he knows how to hire the right people for revenue sports & more importantly when to cut losses on a bad investmentā€¦oh waitā€¦.

4 Likes

clt says we have a Schrƶdingerā€™s cat situation that isnā€™t going to help recruiting

• does Healy stay or not?

If we lose to UTEP we need to run over that box with a Mack truck just to make sure

Facilities are part of the recruiting package, its always a combination of tradition, coaching staff, football philosophy, the facilities, and the university/academics, and we really lack in the facilities and tradition departments, and we cant do anything about history, we are a new program and really cant sell football tradition and history, but we can make sure that we have top notch facilities, and we are selling this program to 17-18 year old high school students, and facilities are important to these kids, and when they come to our campus and see a glorified FCS stadium compared to other regional programs it will leave them underwhelmed, but it is not the only aspect of the recruiting process, but it is one that we can build upon and at least be on par with other programs, so it is very important but its not the only aspect, but it does hurt our image as an FBS program with the smallest stadium on this level

2 Likes

I appreciate seeing everyoneā€™s perspectives and not trying to Nick pick, but I literally cannot read some of the lengthy posts with zero periods. Maybe Iā€™m just an old dude and Iā€™ll try to adapt but Iā€™m just being honest. :grinning:

5 Likes

I think you mean ā€œnitpickā€. You have a valid point, but letā€™s leave Nickā€™s prick out of the discussion.

1 Like

clt says punctuation matters,.

Stadium expansion is going to cost $50-$60 million or something like that. It will cost roughly $2.5-$3 million to buyout our existing coach & hire a new coach. Both need to be done but one of those can provide a whole lot more bang for the buck than the other. And by ā€œbang for the buckā€ I mean wins.

A new coach, the kind we want, may want a stadium expansion before he will agree to come here. One might help land us the other.