Football facilities and expansion

Thinking about it…Judy’s “Manage Expectations” mantra is the root cause of everything that is piss poor about our entire athletics dept and fan support.

App has created a culture of “High Expectations” not “Managed Expectations”…that’s why they sell tickets. Their fans show up in droves because they “Expect” to see them to win. The coaches expect to win…so do the players…so does the administration. Their fans gladly show up to support a program with “High Expectations” that “expects” to win.

And here in Charl[size=1em]otte, [font=verdana]we have created a culture of “managed expectations” where a close loss is a win and blowout losses are expected (now in both main sports). Who the fu&$ wants to show up for that? See attendance numbers falling for both sports to support that claim.[/font][/size]

How can someone not see the sleeping giant here? How can we not get someone to come in energized to lead us? We need someone to come in with an attitude and the swagger that refuses to accept mediocrity in athletics…especially considering…
We have almost a 30K enrollment
We are located in the 15th largest city in America
We boast a top 20 TV market

But no. We currently have the “Managed Expectations” culture fitting of Campbell University or High Point.[/quote] Please. App sucks in every sport not called football and have zero support for any other sport. Also, they do not come out in “droves”. Look at the numbers and look at the stands for many of their football games. Better than us, but not THAT much better.[/quote]
Their attendance is >80% more than ours.[/quote]
It’s one year and it was up from 21,000 last year. That was much more typical for them and in a really good season. It also includes a ton of Miami fans for one game which brought the average up this year by 2000+. Given their history, out drawing us for most games by 6-7000 isn’t really all that impressive.[/quote]
Let’s go off 2015 then. We get a 3% bump since we lost that much this season (yes, the 9th worst in attendance lost butts) and App will go back down 22%.

Charlotte: 14,618
App: 21,459

Delta: 6,841 (or 46.8% more).

You are delusional if you think that isn’t a big deal. 6841 fans more, every game.

Let’s say on average they bought a $20 ticket, 3 fans per car to the game paying $12 a pass, and each fan bought on average $5 of food/drink/merchandise. Through the season, 6 games.

(6841*$20+6841*$5+(6841/3)*$12)*6 = $1.2 Million

That doesn’t even include the perception that your school gains, chances at TV games, recruiting, etc.

If you are curious on this years dollars, the 11,961 extra butts per seat, per game. It’s an almost $2.1 million difference.[/quote]

Thanks for reminding why I post on here less and less. Good grief. I didn’t say it was or was NOT a “big deal”. I said its not THAT IMPRESSIVE, (based upon sheer numbers) and I still say it is NOT. I also commented initially to the post saying App had fans coming out in “droves”. Since when did low 20,000s for a currently successful football team become “droves”?

Thank YOU for doing the same for me. If you weren’t so butthurt from the App State reference…maybe you would have caught my point.

Attendance. How do we get attendance up…it’s not expanding a stadium beyond demand in order to lure some big boys here for a chance of a one time David vs Goliath win. It’s not marketing either.

[size=1em]It’s creating a culture that expects to win. With the resources we have available…that shouldn’t be very hard. But our current leadership exudes a Managed Expectation attitude not an Exceed Expectation attitude and it permeates through our ENTIRE athletic dept.[/size]

[size=1em]App State has created a football culture of what I’m talking about. They expect to win…and continue to do so. FCS, FBS, doesn’t matter. They have created a culture that makes no excuses…they expect to win. And guess what…fans follow and support that.[/size]

[size=1em]We need a complete shift in culture to get the same results in fan support.[/size]
[font=verdana][size=1em]Right now we expect to be embarrassed…and fans don’t like to come out to support that…as much as when they expect to win. Duh.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]We need to expect to win and operate the entire athletic dept with that mentaility.[/size][/font]

Winning should be easy here with our resources…we just need the leadership.

Then the fans will come out for us too.

Thank YOU for doing the same for me. If you weren’t so butthurt from the App State reference…maybe you would have caught my point.

Attendance. How do we get attendance up…it’s not expanding a stadium beyond demand in order to lure some big boys here for a chance of a one time David vs Goliath win. It’s not marketing either.

[size=1em]It’s creating a culture that expects to win. With the resources we have available…that shouldn’t be very hard. But our current leadership exudes a Managed Expectation attitude not an Exceed Expectation attitude and it permeates through our ENTIRE athletic dept.[/size]

[size=1em]App State has created a football culture of what I’m talking about. They expect to win…and continue to do so. FCS, FBS, doesn’t matter. They have created a culture that makes no excuses…they expect to win. And guess what…fans follow and support that.[/size]

[size=1em]We need a complete shift in culture to get the same results in fan support.[/size]
[font=verdana][size=1em]Right now we expect to be embarrassed…and fans don’t like to come out to support that…as much as when they expect to win. Duh.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]We need to expect to win and operate the entire athletic dept with that mentaility.[/size][/font]

Winning should be easy here with our resources…we just need the leadership.

Then the fans will come out for us too.[/quote]

Butthurt? Really…BTW, I caught your “point”, I only disagreed with the one part about App’s “Droves of fans”. Don’t get so defensive. I agree with the over-riding point of your post.

OK…so the butthurt is about one word in the entire post…
Droves.
Really?

And yes…when a smaller school averages 11K more fans than us…at a location difficult to get to…I would call that in droves.
But if you prefer, pick another word.
Regardless of the word you would prefer…the point is still the same.

Carry on Dr. Webster.

clt says we need to add dorms with the stadium expansion.

Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K
Just curious

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K
Just curious[/quote]Yes, it is designed to be expandable to 60,000.

I don’t see us ever expanding to 40,000 though. College football attendance is dropping.

[quote=“Niner National, post:447, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K

I don’t see us ever expanding to 40,000 though. College football attendance is dropping.[/quote]
I agree, 40,000 is where we will be for a while, but just wanted to know if it had the capacity to go beyond that if needed.

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:448, topic:30091”][quote=“Niner National, post:447, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K

I don’t see us ever expanding to 40,000 though. College football attendance is dropping.[/quote]
I agree, 40,000 is where we will be for a while, but just wanted to know if it had the capacity to go beyond that if needed.[/quote]nah, I don’t ever see us even expanding to 40,000. It’s just unnecessary unless the southern states are lost to rising oceans and the SEC needs replacement members on higher ground.

[quote=“Niner National, post:449, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:448, topic:30091”][quote=“Niner National, post:447, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K

I agree, 40,000 is where we will be for a while, but just wanted to know if it had the capacity to go beyond that if needed.[/quote]nah, I don’t ever see us even expanding to 40,000. It’s just unnecessary unless the southern states are lost to rising oceans and the SEC needs replacement members on higher ground.[/quote]

Our goal should be OVER 40 thousand.

[quote=“49r9r, post:450, topic:30091”][quote=“Niner National, post:449, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:448, topic:30091”][quote=“Niner National, post:447, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K

I agree, 40,000 is where we will be for a while, but just wanted to know if it had the capacity to go beyond that if needed.[/quote]nah, I don’t ever see us even expanding to 40,000. It’s just unnecessary unless the southern states are lost to rising oceans and the SEC needs replacement members on higher ground.[/quote]

Our goal should be OVER 40 thousand.[/quote]

Someone mentioned before earlier in the thread, that one deck @ 7500 would be expanded first over the alumni side. And it sounded like the second deck over the students would be built as needed basically. I raised concern about having an asymmetrical stadium and if the AD is building on an as need basis, who knows how long it would take for that second deck to go up. The other concern to me if we wait to build the second upper portion (hell even the first deck), is the cost. Would yall want to:

1. Bite the bullet and build both decks @ 7500 a piece.
  2. Build only one deck over alumns and wait till who knows for the second.
  3. Build both decks at a lower capacity…say like 5k a piece. I wouldn’t mind this option, but I worry that smaller upper level decks wont fill in the stadium as intended. Meaning they designed that stadium with a lot of concourse space and tall lights. So not sure if the deck height and size would mesh?

In all scenarios, each option will have a new press box tower and suites

[quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K
Just curious[/quote]

Already answered - but wanted to add that it is designed to go to about 40k with no demolition. 60k with some demo.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:453, topic:30091”][quote=“NinerAlum18, post:446, topic:30091”]Here is my question and please forgive me if it was already asked/talked about, but is there any plan for expansion after we expand to 40,000. I assume no, but is the Rich capable of being expanded to let’s say 50K or 60K
Just curious[/quote]

Already answered - but wanted to add that it is designed to go to about 40k with no demolition. 60k with some demo.[/quote]
Ok gotcha, not sure we’ll get above 60K ever so I feel like that’s a good number. Seeing how/when the expansion happens will be interesting for sure.

^ I’m not sure we’ll ever get 30k butts in the seats, much less 60k. Maybe for one big name game a year I could see it but not averaging.

Step 1) understand the value of the product
Step 2) price the product to sell
Step 3) sell the product and fill the stadium
Step 4) full stadium = better environment and more $
Step 5) better environment = higher demand
Step 6) higher demand = higher value of product
Step 7) Higher value = higher ticket prices
Step 8 ) repeat

Universal gets it.

Not to mention the recruiting boost with better facilities- which means a better product.

To be a big time program you have to act like a big time program (minus UNC-Cheat’s cheating methods, of course).

Fake it 'til you make it, in essence.

Step 1) understand the value of the product
Step 2) price the product to sell
Step 3) sell the product and fill the stadium
Step 4) full stadium = better environment and more $
Step 5) better environment = higher demand
Step 6) higher demand = higher value of product
Step 7) Higher value = higher ticket prices[/quote]

Step 8 Better environment and atmosphere = recruiting advantages
Step 9) Enhanced Recruiting = more wins and additional increased ticket sales
Step 10) repeat

Universal, I hope you don’t mind me converting your 8 step plan to a 10 step plan.

Not at all!