Football facilities and expansion

Our sad little field goal netsā€¦

This weekend proved we need to expand. 18,000+ people in a 16,000 seat stadium. Marshall, App, Duke, Maryland, and CHeat are all going to bring big crowds. Letā€™s add 5,000 to 10,000 and some suites now. We are leaving ticket revenue off the table.

Sadly, next weekend may prove that we do not need to expand.

Sadly, next weekend may prove that we do not need to expand.[/quote]you need capacity for your Biggest games though. No team sells out every game

Yup, my thoughts as well. This Saturdayā€™s game is going to take a major hit in attendance, but it is crucial that we have the ability to handle those games (mentioned above). I also hope, with the upper decks, that we can move the visitorā€™s section and possibly the GA and Reserved seating up there as well. Keep the lower bowl all students, FSLs, band, and season tix holders. From the A&T game and I have a feeling any big game we will have, I observed: the reserved sections next to the visitorā€™s sections, basically become the visitorā€™s section too. Would be nice to have the lower bowl dedicated to Niner fans when we get upper decks. Iā€™m not sure how other stadiums handle that though (if there is some requirement to have a visitors section in the lower bowl).

This weekend proved what games with close, familiar, regional foes can do for attendance. I have said numerous times on here that when the P5 break off, we need to embrace a local regional conference. TV marker money will follow the P5. Athletic budgets will not be able to sustain travel for ALL teams to Texas and FLorida et al. We need to embrace the opportunity to at least draw out fans who CARE to watch the games because of the regional rivalry angle. Be it a conference with App, ECU, WCU, Wake Forestā€¦whateverā€¦or whoever is left after the P5 breakaway.

But that is what we had such huge attendance against even an FCS team. Local foeā€¦that brings other local fans and both sides have a REAL interest in wanting your team to win because of that.

It only makes sense.

Schedule as many as you can even now if you want attendance to get to the point of justifying expansion.

This weekend proved what games with close, familiar, regional foes can do for attendance. I have said numerous times on here that when the P5 break off, we need to embrace a local regional conference. TV marker money will follow the P5. Athletic budgets will not be able to sustain travel for ALL teams to Texas and FLorida et al. We need to embrace the opportunity to at least draw out fans who CARE to watch the games because of the regional rivalry angle. Be it a conference with App, ECU, WCU, Wake Forestā€¦whateverā€¦or whoever is left after the P5 breakaway.

But that is what we had such huge attendance against even an FCS team. Local foeā€¦that brings other local fans and both sides have a REAL interest in wanting your team to win because of that.

It only makes sense.

Schedule as many as you can even now if you want attendance to get to the point of justifying expansion.[/quote]when I thought cusa might have a chance to be a 2 bid league with the new additions, I would have been firmly against it. Now that it is clear cusa is going to be a 1 bid league every year, I donā€™t really care.

It only makes sense.

Schedule as many as you can even now if you want attendance to get to the point of justifying expansion.[/quote]when I thought cusa might have a chance to be a 2 bid league with the new additions, I would have been firmly against it. Now that it is clear cusa is going to be a 1 bid league every year, I donā€™t really care.[/quote]

Are you talking about basketball?

It only makes sense.

Schedule as many as you can even now if you want attendance to get to the point of justifying expansion.[/quote]when I thought cusa might have a chance to be a 2 bid league with the new additions, I would have been firmly against it. Now that it is clear cusa is going to be a 1 bid league every year, I donā€™t really care.[/quote]

Are you talking about basketball?[/quote]yeah, I just meant I would have preferred cusa as is originally because I thought the basketball schools could potentially make it a 2 bid league. That clearly wonā€™t happen, so Iā€™d rather cusa and the sbc consolidate and form more regional conferences to help drive interest and attendance.

A regional CUSA is basically the socon, which isnā€™t bad for football, but basketball officially dies. I mean, itā€™s arguably dead already, we just havenā€™t pronounced it

Oh and I agree about Expansion. Can you imagine if we ever actually won at home? Weā€™d need 25k easily just for our fans.

If we can draw 18,000 when we suck, imagine what we can do when we are good.

I would imagine many people didnā€™t get tickets as well when they saw SRO tickets were all that was available.

App is gonna be one interesting environment if we donā€™t at least have temporary seating. Their fans all live in Charlotte anyway, so they may just come tailgate.

Sadly, next weekend may prove that we do not need to expand.[/quote]you need capacity for your Biggest games though. No team sells out every game[/quote]

Exactly!!! And NN and I almost never agree, but EVEN we agree on this.

Agree 100%.

We have a proven record of healthy attendance when we offer a compelling product.

Hell we almost fill up trans America for menā€™s soccer when we have a big game like cusa tourney or NCAA. And thatā€™s when itā€™s really cold. The reason?? Quality play and competitiveness!!

I second all the commenters on this board who have pointed out that all we need is a good product on the field/court and people will come out.

clt can report that we will have a few lawn chairs out for the appy game.

North Texas building an indoor practice facility.

[size=12px][font=Helvetica][/size][size=12pt]https://dentonrc.imgix.net/1508875595-IMG_0648.JPG?auto=format&q=50&or=0&w=700[/size][size=12px][/font][/size]

Another example of what others in our state are doing.

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:638, topic:30091ā€]Another example of what others in our state are doing.

Go Big or Go Home it seems for ECU.

ECU Budget is 44M compared to our 37M. In 2006 their athletic giving was 4.1M ours was 5.7M. in 2016 ours was 5.4M and theirs is 9M.