Former UNC System Presidents Decry Football

I’m not mad at the chancellor.

the guy has to be professional and respectful.

plus after they sounded almost on the verge of offensive from what ive read/heard, I think this would be the perfect sit back and take it, then shove it in their face and say yes to a team.

lets go dubois, do what you know the students want and understand

..[B].did this guy seriously suggest that we get better intramurals..[/B]

has he been to a college game? does he knwo what that atmosphere is like…not just during the game…but BEFORE THE GAME?

I dont even know what to say.

yes. listen to the audio

the flag football comment, the comment on “thats why we have UNC and St,” etc all just sum up to me that these two are so out of touch and dated. They had no idea how insulting it was. They weren’t trying to insult, they just still have the mindset of 1960, and everyone is still praying toward Chapel Hill…Those days are loooong gone.

even the mention of “playing on Sundays” as unethical…I’m a church goer, but snap into 2008

Sadly for Spangler and Friday, our intramural flag football team was National runner up in 2006-07, and was the men’s and co-rec were the National champs in 2007-08. So now that we understand that our flag football program is established in on the map, the only thing left to do is get a real one.

even the mention of "playing on Sundays" as unethical.....I'm a church goer, but snap into 2008
Shouldn't they tell Dubois to disband the motorsports program

After listening to that and reading the article in the O there can be no doubt that

1. These self righteous windbags are as out of touch with reality as you can get
  2. They’re simply whore’s for Chapel Hell who truly believe we’re just a satellite campus for it.

It’s a good thing I wasn’t there, because had I been I’d have gone nuts.

I’m also insulted beyond belief at their “That’s what UNC-CH and UNC-R” are for. I can’t believe that our own chancellor refused to even stand up and defend our instiution. There is a diplomatic way he could have done it without being rude while at the same time standing up for this school. The fact that he sat silent speaks volumes to me.

They argue that fund raising for football would take away from fund raising for academics. We’ve shown many times how moronic such an statement is. But know this Dick and Friday, if football is sunk after an unanimous recommendation from the feasibility group, you’ll never see a dime from me for any academics, ever.

The thing that ticks me off about the Chancellor’s response is my thought of what Bonnie Cone would have done yesterday. She did not like the giant thumb on our University and made it known. Dr. Phil does not bleed green. He has shown little pride.

[B]Dr. Phil, if you are reading this and feel offended by my comments then please prove me wrong. Actions speak louder than words and words speak louder than silence. I say this with due respect to you and pride driven respect to my University.[/B]

People were up in arms last week about something Lutz said. But at least [I]he [/I]is willing to speak out. Get off your knees, stop being a politician and do what you get paid for.

Just listened to the audio… Obviously they don’t get it because they say we get a fair amount of mony over a 5 year period and said to look at our campus and you can tell we get what is fair. Will someone share with this man how much of what is on campus was built by student fees and money raised by the school rather than given by the state… You are uninformed and wearing blinders Dr. Spangler. Please return to your Mecca and keep your thoughts to yourself, because you don’t get it.

This shows what the powers think of UNC Charlotte.

If the students wanted to create a stir, I’d launch a protest asking that the Friday building be renamed. Let CHP see that!

This shows what the powers think of UNC Charlotte.

If the students wanted to create a stir, I’d launch a protest asking that the Friday building be renamed. Let CHP see that!

graffti would work, not that i am suggesting that, just that it would work.

you also gotta love Spangler’s comment about faculty and football:

Spangler: does lack of football at MIT keep quality faculty away?
[URL]http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mit-m-footbl-body.html[/URL]

:lmao:

[QUOTE=metro;298115]you also gotta love Spangler’s comment about faculty and football:
http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mit-m-footbl-body.html
:lmao:

[/QUOTE]

The forum yesterday should be seen as a disappointment to our system. That was a very poor representation from “two distinguished faculty members” of the system. It was a discussion driven by personal disapproval rather than facts. Splattered with some bad visual metephores of trains… :hammer:

I think there is damn good reason to be pissed at Dubois as well. Show some backbone, Phil :angry: .

He has yet to show an ounce of backbone yet. The man waffles on everything.

Has anyone written Dubois yet? I plan to during my lunch today, but would love to know if others are doing so, and if they are receiving any responses.

Now come on guys, you know if we get football all hell will break loose. First of all, God will hate us more than he already does because we play sports on Sunday. Some of our players might eventually go to the NFL and play football on Sunday too if we get a team(Lord forgive us for these sins). Also, we all know that God loves UNC- Chapel Hill and NC State better than us, so they are fine to play on Sundays. Afterall, we have our place and they are the ones who are supposed to be football schools. This is a call for all UNC Charlotte students to sit back and accept your place in society. WE R MEDIOCRITY U!! In fact, the name change will go into affect, but we will now be Mediocrity State University at Charlotte. Maybe if we good, the mastas at the taheel scoolin sistem will let us hav sum uv they kik backs and hand-me-downs, and we may be even aloud to go supote they games, sinse they the best any way. On behalf of all UNC Charlotte students and alums, I’d like to say thank you for these established senior citizens who came to our lowly college to give us some good advice. Thank heavens for intelligent people who keep us from making mistakes.

He has yet to show an ounce of backbone yet. The man waffles on everything.

Has anyone written Dubois yet? I plan to during my lunch today, but would love to know if others are doing so, and if they are receiving any responses.

3 things Dubois never mentioned in his first agenda or intended to spend time on:

Lutz Ordeal
Football inception
Name Change

Dubois does not waffle on HIS IDEAS like light rail. But throw an idea in front of him that HE OR UNC DID NOT COME UP WITH, and he philibusters for months.

[QUOTE=J Felt;297996]For Marching Band fans like myself, Dr. Laurence Marks was my hero today. Having football helps in more ways than anyone can really describe with numbers.

His e-mail is llmarks@uncc.edu[/QUOTE]

Another who deserves kudos:

[QUOTE]
Peggy Wilmoth, a professor of nursing whose son attends UNCC, listened to Spangler and Friday. She understood their arguments, but disagreed.

“I appreciated what they talked about,” she said. "It was very good data. But I don’t think football would diminish anything. It would enhance the atmosphere on campus. My son talks about living in the dorms and everybody leaves on weekends because there’s no reason to stay.

“That detracts from his vision of what college should be all about.”

[/QUOTE]

I was glad to see comments like this in the Observer article.

The Good Doctor got my e-mail this morning… for whatever good it will do. By request, here it is…I couldn’t get every last thought in there, as that would have made it a three page article instead of an e-mail, but I figure at least I’ve done my part here.
[B]
[COLOR=SeaGreen]Dr. Dubois,

My name is Dustin Foley, and I am a student here at the University. I am writing this e-mail, much like many others that are probably writing you today, because I am deeply upset over the recent transpirations in regards to the push for NCAA football at Charlotte.

Let me start off by saying that whether you realize it or not, I have spoken with you personally numerous times on campus. Sometimes on the way to class, or in line at After Hours trying to grab some lunch, or often at 49er basketball games (as I am the drummer for the pep band). You have always been very nice and down-to-earth in conversation, and for that I applaud you, but with that said … I have a serious bone to pick.

Yesterday, in a meeting discussing the future of our University’s football efforts, you essentially allowed two former UNC-System presidents to openly mock and discredit our desire for football here at Charlotte. If I’m not mistaken, one of these gentlemen is even the NAMESAKE of one of our buildings on campus. Some of the remarks made by these gentlemen were completely unacceptable, and while I understand the importance of professionalism in a position like yours, I find it blatantly unacceptable that you would sit idly and take such comments without sticking up for our University and our students … YOUR students. Many of the students on this campus have worked long and hard for football to come here, and I (as well as many others) take it very personally that you would allow these efforts to be marginalized and disregarded by two men who are really no more than mouthpieces for our “Big Brother” up in Chapel Hill and who have no REAL concerns for the interests of our student body.

As a Student, soon-to-be Alumnus (May '08), and supporter of Charlotte 49er Athletics, I implore you. Do not let this issue go without response. You missed your chance yesterday to really display your professed loyalty to your school and your students. With every bit of due respect, Chancellor Dubois, this needs to be addressed with the utmost expedience. Stand up and show where your allegiance lies.

Thank you

T. Dustin Foley
[/COLOR][/B]

Very nice, sir.

Wow. That is gangster.

[B] [COLOR=SeaGreen]Dr. Dubois,

I implore you. Do not let this issue go without response. You missed your chance yesterday to really display your professed loyalty to your school and your students. With every bit of due respect, Chancellor Dubois, this needs to be addressed with the utmost expedience. Stand up and show where your allegiance lies.

Thank you

T. Dustin Foley
[/COLOR][/B]

that’ll make him pissy, take it from the master

49erDrummer, your letter to CHP goes beyond description. It is off the chart!!!