Free Throw Noise

I propose something different when our visitors are shooting free throws.

Watching a Texas A&M v. Oklahoma game a few days ago, I was in awe of the crowd. To screw up free throw shooters, the student section went absolutely silent as they were setting up…and right before they released the ball, everybody screamed. Sort of a “suprise noise” if you will.

The ESPN commetators loved it. Most importantly, Oklahoma shot 44% from the free throw line that night…a team that has shot 73% from the line this season.

Watching a Texas A&M v. Oklahoma game a few days ago, I was in awe of the crowd. To screw up free throw shooters, the student section went absolutely silent as they were setting up...and right before they released the ball, everybody screamed. Sort of a "suprise noise" if you will.

The ESPN commetators loved it. Most importantly, Oklahoma shot 44% from the free throw line that night…a team that has shot 73% from the line this season.

Duke started that concept several years ago but I don’t believe they do it any longer. It’s effective but everyone has to be on the same page for it to work well. I like the dot signs we use now but it seems like there’s rarely a joint effort. Usually just a handful of them in motion and it doesn’t work as well.

I doubt the constant/sustained yelling has any impact on a free throw shooter. Most can tune that out. Movement behind the goal would appear to be far more of a distraction.

I doubt the constant/sustained yelling has any impact on a free throw shooter. Most can tune that out. Movement behind the goal would appear to be far more of a distraction.
Agreed, which is why I believe we should give this a shot.

As far as the"dot signs" are concerned, it would only be effective if we filled up the section behind the baskets, which we rarely do.

Duke started that concept several years ago but I don't believe they do it any longer. It's effective but everyone has to be on the same page for it to work well. I like the dot signs we use now but it seems like there's rarely a joint effort. Usually just a handful of them in motion and it doesn't work as well.

Have you seen who is behind our goals? the alumni dont care about the dots and the band looks like they are dead tired by the 2nd half

ouch is all i have to say. well the middle section of the band are the ones you want to yell at. Tell eddie he needs to lose a cow of pounds and you might see more people stand up in the band. I’m crazy the entire damn game no matter what.

Duke does still do the “surprise noise” but they have like ten free throw chants so it just mixes in. Actually in High School…back in the day we used to get completely silent and just have one person screen some made up word. Or Steve Perry…it was hard to get a high school gym quite so I dont see that working he but we also used to do a thing were everyone yelled at diferent times so it wasn’t like one constant noise. Seemed to work pretty well I thought.

Soooo…lets push for this today! Tell everybody around you to remain silent until a second before the opposing player releases the ball…and then SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEAMMM!!!

the problem with noise is that it is very static and easily tuned out. If we had a rocking motion similar to that of what we are trying to do with those dots no person would ever make a free throw against us.

[QUOTE=the daxified one;149887]the problem with noise is that it is very static and easily tuned out. If we had a rocking motion similar to that of what we are trying to do with those dots no person would ever make a free throw against us.[/QUOTE]

Problem there is the band/alumni sitting behind the baskets. The alumni really don’t care, and it would be hard for you guys in the band to get something down becuase of your instruments and because the band seating is a little sporadic. We do need something different though, because like you said, noise is easily tuned out. Random movements are also tuned out, so everyone waving their hands has no effect either.

a few of us tried something different today with the YOU HAVE NO MARBLES sign and shaking bags of marbles. If anyone else is down for the next game, lemme know

that would be great BUT we aren’t allowed to have any artificial noise makers. Anything that makes noise that isn’t natural is banned from the arena per NCAA and Halton.

get a bunch of overweight guys behind the basket with their shirts off jumping up and down. I DARE you to make a free throw with that goin on

well all you have to do is ask some people in the pep band to do that. low blow yea i know but you see how many lazy people we have in the 2nd and 3rd row.

How about fill the stands behind the boards so we can be distractive

i still think we should move the student section behind the goals. just redo the entire seating area next year.

I agree. I sat behind the goals for the first time tonight. Me and like 4 others stood up to wave the dots while GW was shooting free throws. Not much of a distraction at all.

I propose something different when our visitors are shooting free throws.

Watching a Texas A&M v. Oklahoma game a few days ago, I was in awe of the crowd. To screw up free throw shooters, the student section went absolutely silent as they were setting up…and right before they released the ball, everybody screamed. Sort of a “suprise noise” if you will.

Actually, if someone wants to dig it up, the Dallas Mavericks hired a guy to scientifically come up with a way to decrease the other teams freethrow shooting percentage. It worked and the NBA banned it. It took percentages down by 7% or so I believe…

mac i’ve seen that document. the guy has also written a book on his findings as well. It deals with things that are static and what is not. Basically he says that slow moving motion in the same direction cause worse psychological effects on the opposing player than moving things frantically. When you move things frantically it causes static and the individuals tune the static out. But in order to be able to do slow moving thing right you need someone to point out which direction to move and that way get everyone together. Then it is like a huge ocean.

mac i've seen that document. the guy has also written a book on his findings as well. It deals with things that are static and what is not. Basically he says that slow moving motion in the same direction cause worse psychological effects on the opposing player than moving things frantically. When you move things frantically it causes static and the individuals tune the static out. But in order to be able to do slow moving thing right you need someone to point out which direction to move and that way get everyone together. Then it is like a huge ocean.

Yes, and it has to be timed with the shot. In a sense it tricks the mind and subconciously will make his arm movement compensate for the movement the mind is perceiving in the background…

EXACTLY. the people in pep band don’t listen to me. like people on the front row do. But other than everyone else is sitting on their asses not doing a single thing.