Front Entrance Sign

Just curious, drove by the front the other day and saw that they were building a foundation near the old sign, not near where the new sign is located. I know the plans call for the old entrance to be closed in and that we are supposed to have pylons all the way down the entrance but I thought the pylons would come later. Any idea what this is for?

Just curious, drove by the front the other day and saw that they were building a foundation near the old sign, not near where the new sign is located. I know the plans call for the old entrance to be closed in and that we are supposed to have pylons all the way down the entrance but I thought the pylons would come later. Any idea what this is for?

Pillars along 49.

[QUOTE=49or bust;305955]Pillars along 49.[/QUOTE]

It was my understanding we only had the money (right now) for the entrance. Pylons would come later.

It was my understanding we only had the money (right now) for the entrance. Pylons would come later.
You could be right. I should have let someone more knowledgeable on the subject answer.

Someone fronted the money for the rest of the pillars. It was posted somewhere.

Not fronted, but the project was under bid, so they had enough money left over to do the whole project.

Not fronted, but the project was under bid, so they had enough money left over to do the whole project.

This is correct. I doubt it is the pillars, but I don’t have enough context right there to be able to tell you for sure. The main pillar is 10’x10’ if I recall correctly and the others are 8’x8’

That may be the small retaining wall they are building, but I can’t remember if that was in or not in the end.

IIRC, in between the pillars there will be a low wall connecting pillars no? With plants and shrubs planted in front of it?

where did those plans go we had on NNN?

IIRC, in between the pillars there will be a low wall connecting pillars no? With plants and shrubs planted in front of it?

where did those plans go we had on NNN?

I thought they were out infront of the pillars with the pillars set off behind them. My firm worked on the pillars and entrance, any low walls or planters would have been done by Site Solutions who is the landscape architect/engineers. I’ve tried to forget about this project.

WOW! I had no clue! That was my 1000th post!

That new entrance is LONG overdue and will look VERY nice!

That new entrance is LONG overdue and will look VERY nice!

any est. finish date yet?

I would like to know the ~date the old sign will be moved. Also, does anyone know if they will actually destroy it (I know most everybody wants to do that) or move it somewhere else on the campus. I’m kind of nostalgic and wouldn’t mind it being moved somewhere else ON CAMPUS (not at an entrance) and maybe framed out with the red bricks or something. Anybody agree, or not?

^ I kinda like that idea. Actually, I think we need like a large UNC Charlotte archive room on campus. Maybe we can use some Cone Center space when the SU is done.

[QUOTE=919R;306454]I would like to know the ~date the old sign will be moved. Also, does anyone know if they will actually destroy it (I know most everybody wants to do that) or move it somewhere else on the campus. I’m kind of nostalgic and wouldn’t mind it being moved somewhere else ON CAMPUS (not at an entrance) and maybe framed out with the red bricks or something. Anybody agree, or not?[/QUOTE]

No, we’ve have preserved a good amount that reminds us of our early days, this sign is not one of those things, it would be an embarassment to a middle school no less to Charlotte, I’ve been wailing against it since 1998, I’d like to take it down office space style.

I’d like to steal it and put it in my backyard.

Someone needs to steal it and have it installed on the roof of the chancellor’s home.

No, we've have preserved a good amount that reminds us of our early days, this sign is not one of those things, it would be an embarassment to a middle school no less to Charlotte, I've been wailing against it since 1998, I'd like to take it down office space style.

Huh, I understand the hatred ( I share it) for it as a main entrance sign. It is pathetic for that, but I would still like to see it “Bricked out” and find a new home for it on campus somewhere (maybe up around the rec fields or on the top of the hill overlooking Transamerica Field). ???