G5 Discussing Starting Own Playoff

1 Like

Every G5 AD not in support of this needs to be fired. It is idiotic to say “We play for National Championships”. No you don’t. G5 will flat out never get that invitation.

Some officials are concerned a separate national title would perpetuate the perception of the "haves" and "have nots" between the Power 5 and Group of 5.

“You mean compete for a junior varsity championship?” one Group of 5 AD said. “No thanks.”

I think the key here is do we fight this perception, or accept that it is just the truth and there is nothing we can do to change that? If the P5 decide to leave the NCAA and start their own organization then it is all moot anyway.

1 Like

Houston would have been in the playoffs if they had handled business in conference. Our efforts should be directed at expanding the playoffs, not relegating ourselves to 1-AA status. Words can not express how adamantly I am opposed to this.

Who would Houston have replaced?

Emphatic is the right word. There is an 8 team playoff coming, and the G5’s entire focus should be on ensuring a seat at that table. The G5 top team or champ should get a guaranteed invite (though not seeding). The more access G5 gets to the playoff, the more they level the power gap, which will eventually also lower the financial gap.

I hope that leadership understands that this idea they have just places the official DI-AA stamp on G5 football.

You mean compete for a junior varsity championship?" one Group of 5 AD said. "No thanks."

Focus on playoff access. That is the answer. If you want to have a mini playoff for access to that playoff berth, maybe, but even that would feel like an NCAA play in round game.

Any maybe I am just jaded, but the whole idea sounds like an ESPN plant.

[quote=“chidave, post:4, topic:30711”]Houston would have been in the playoffs if they had handled business in conference. Our efforts should be directed at expanding the playoffs, not relegating ourselves to 1-AA status. Words can not express how adamantly I am opposed to this.[/quote]I wholeheartedly agree. Well said!

clt says we need a G5 BCS.

Emphatic is the right word. There is an 8 team playoff coming, and the G5’s entire focus should be on ensuring a seat at that table. The G5 top team or champ should get a guaranteed invite (though not seeding). The more access G5 gets to the playoff, the more they level the power gap, which will eventually also lower the financial gap.

I hope that leadership understands that this idea they have just places the official DI-AA stamp on G5 football. Focus on playoff access. That is the answer. If you want to have a mini playoff for access to that playoff berth, maybe, but even that would feel like an NCAA play in round game.[/quote]A mini playoff is not acceptable either. If the P5 wants to split off, let them make that determination.

An expansion to 8 will most likely provide 1 guarantee spot for the G5. Whether or not this is best for the G5 is a matter of how you look at it, and what you prioritize.

With an exclusive G5 playoff would provide more TV exposure to the G5 and would most likely spread more money around within the G5. The drawback is you relegate yourself to a 2nd tier championship.

With an 8 team playoff with 1 guarantee G5 spot the G5 has a chance at winning the highest level championship, but depth (e.g. number of teams and conferences) of money and tv exposure would be less.

I don’t see how CFP expansion and a G5 Playoff are mutually exclusive.

A few weeks ago I floated an idea for both: a six-team CFP taking the six best conference champs and giving a bye to the top two; as well as a four-team “Football NIT” for the remaining four conference champs.

It equates to the best of both worlds: the G5 has an institutionalized chance to compete for a championship while still getting the eyeballs that a G5 playoff would bring.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:11, topic:30711”]I don’t see how CFP expansion and a G5 Playoff are mutually exclusive.

A few weeks ago I floated an idea for both: a six-team CFP taking the six best conference champs and giving a bye to the top two; as well as a four-team “Football NIT” for the remaining four conference champs.

It equates to the best of both worlds: the G5 has an institutionalized chance to compete for a championship while still getting the eyeballs that a G5 playoff would bring.[/quote]

Proposed something similar to the NIT for just the 4 other G5 champs that didn’t make the CFP. However, if the P5 champs would go for it, the NIT idea is a great one for the remaining 6 champs.

For now, no. Eventually, the P5 will separate themselves even more from the rest of us completely eliminating any hope of a G5 team getting into the playoff. It’s already virtually impossible, but someday it’ll be truly impossible. At that point, a playoff is fine.

There is a huge gap between G5 and FCS in terms of fan base size and facilities (with a few exceptions). I think the desire to move out of FCS wouldn’t have been as large if there wasn’t as much disparity between schools. Schools like JMU, Montana, and App had no business being in a division with non scholarship programs and programs that played in sub-par high school quality facilities.

A division with only G5 schools would have far less disparity and be a relatively interesting watch. I think playoff attendance would be considerably better than any trash bowl game G5 teams get stuck in anyway.

All that said, I’d prefer to see how the playoff expansion proceeds first. With only four slots though, I don’t see a G5 team ever getting in. MAYBE uh would have this year if they didn’t blow it but I’m not convinced they definitely would have. Even if an AAC program does, I don’t see a school from other G5 conferences ever having a shot. AAC schools have more national prestige and usually facilities that are more attractive to P5 programs willing to go on the road. Sure we are getting Duke, MD, and UNC at home, but those aren’t the same as getting a Big XII or SEC program at home. The only CUSA team that seems to get a lot of those is UTSA, which makes sense since their facility was designed for an NFL team.

I wholeheartedly agree too. My preference is a 16 team playoff that gives all conference champions a spot in the playoff, along with at-large births to some other strong teams. I also realize the P5 will oppose any such idea.

I wholeheartedly agree too. My preference is a 16 team playoff that gives all conference champions a spot in the playoff, along with at-large births to some other strong teams. I also realize the P5 will oppose any such idea.[/quote]I don’t see 16 ever happening. That’s 4x as many teams and I don’t see revenue going up 4x if a change were made.

Besides, you’d just end up with 5-6 SEC teams, a few BIG 10 teams, and one team from the other P5 conferences, so you’d just end up with a lot of repeat conference matchups in the playoff.

I think that would actually hurt ratings to a degree.

I wholeheartedly agree too. My preference is a 16 team playoff that gives all conference champions a spot in the playoff, along with at-large births to some other strong teams. I also realize the P5 will oppose any such idea.[/quote]I don’t see 16 ever happening. That’s 4x as many teams and I don’t see revenue going up 4x if a change were made.

Besides, you’d just end up with 5-6 SEC teams, a few BIG 10 teams, and one team from the other P5 conferences, so you’d just end up with a lot of repeat conference matchups in the playoff.

I think that would actually hurt ratings to a degree.[/quote]

I also doubt we see a 16 team playoff but that is still my preference, as long as every conference champion gets a spot in the playoffs. It never hurts to shoot for the stars.

Yep. W. Mich is undefeated this year and look how "close " they got. The cotton bowl.

I think that would actually hurt ratings to a degree.[/quote]

I also doubt we see a 16 team playoff but that is still my preference, as long as every conference champion gets a spot in the playoffs. It never hurts to shoot for the stars.[/quote]I think 8 is plenty, especially if one or two spots is reserved from champions from the top G5 conference(s).

It won’t be a level playing field until each conference champion gets a playoff spot. The P5 will never allow that, but if they want to keep playing us, they may have to concede a spot for the top G5 team in an expanded playoff.

I’m against the idea unless they expand the playoff and exclude us anyway. THEN I would entertain the idea of a separate playoff, but only after they slam the door completely shut, at which point we stop playing them.

I don’t think an expansion to 8 teams guarantees any "auto"bid from a G5 school. That’s absurd. The top 8 teams will get a bid and the P5 will find a way to grab those spots. But… I think the G5 is thinking in the right direction. We need to create as much leverage as possible to create some kind of bargaining chip with the P5. Right now, the P5 runs the show and everyone else gets to keep what they let us keep.

If the P5 do separate from the NCAA, look for them to use that financial flexibility to allow schools to increase their scholarships such that the G5 talent dwindles back into DII obscurity.