G5 Discussing Starting Own Playoff

I hate the idea of a G5 playoff. Down with the P5 cartel! Expand the college football playoff to eight teams at least one team a G5.

I still think it would be good to do both. Expand the existing playoff to 8 with the winners of the P5 conference championship games the top G5 program & 2 at large bids. Take the top 8 or 16 remaining G5 teams & do a playoff instead of going to bowls that very few people care about. The G5 playoff would be much more interesting & it would put eyes on a lot of players & schools that wouldn’t be seen otherwise. The championship may not mean anything to a lot of people but I just feel like playoff football is so much more fun than the current bowl system. The P5 powers will probably never allow the G5 guaranteed spot in an expanded CFP. They would more than likely fill those extra spots with all P5 teams so the G5 might as well go ahead & do something on their own.

1 Like

clt says pat forde is a good writer

I agree with MHH 100%.

I agree with Forde ( :face_vomiting:) in that the non P5s are handicapped tremendously. However, I watched the BYU-CCU game and while it was great, it wasn’t a standard of play that would succeed in the upper echelons of college football in my opinion.

The g5 team will get slaughtered in a playoff almost every year. Every now and then you have a truly great g5 team like Boise in the fiesta bowl or ucf a few years back, but a 2020 Cinci vs any of the other top 4 teams this year gets murdered.

I will disagree. The imbalance in team quality you perceive includes some personal bias, and is a product of the system. The more access you allow the G5 programs to the CFP, the faster and more significantly that gap will shrink. It will involve typical recruiting lag (2-3 seasons behind), but it quite simply comes down to whether or not you can tell a recruit he has a path to the CFP. That is a large part of the P5 recruiting advantage. Reduce it and the talent slowly distributes a little more evenly, with it accelerating as you open up the CFP with each additional G5 slot.

5 Likes

If you have a seat at the table an up and coming program can Sell better recruits on the possibility of playing in a national championship. They can’t do that with a straight face right now.

2 Likes

It’s also perceived from the production quality surrounding a lot of games, too. It looks lower budget/less “bright lights” than “big time” football, so it makes you think the quality of play isn’t up to snuff. This has been talked about a lot, but it’s amazing how true it is.

1 Like

Any playoff with a guaranteed spot to a G5 school would mean that the G5 school draws the #1 seed every time. I would much rather see the G5 schools do a 12 team playoff and let the BCS keep its 4 team SEC/ACC championship series. The G5 playoff would be much better football.

Also, the bowls are really played out. There are way too many and they no longer mean anything like they used to. There used to only be a handful or so games on New Year’s Day and it made that day a great football day. Now we have bowls from mid-December to almost mid-January.

No. It doesn’t. The G5 programs would slowly begin closing the talent gap.

Yeah I agree that path to the playoff is what matters. Yes it means that first round is usually against #1 seed and yes it would be mostly Ls but that path would be a huge boon to recruiting for all of the G5. A playoff of our own just makes us accept that we are all just FCS with a bow. I like the bowls. Yes there are too many but id rather take a trip to a second rate bowl with a shot of bigger than deal with second rate playoffs are the ceiling.

2 Likes

How many of you watch the FCS playoffs? I bet almost nobody. The G5 playoffs would look more like the FCS, D2, or D3 playoffs than the current CFP.

It also gets our foot in the door. Possible opportunity for more bids in a further expanded playoff, which is extremely important and worth it on its own.

G5 schools are allowed in the basketball tournament. That gap ain’t closing.

You mean like how 40% of the AP top 10 in basketball is made up of teams from outside the P5, including #1 Gonzaga.

The entire point of that article is that Gonzaga could never happen in CFB, but they did happen in CBB.

1 Like

If the G5’s weren’t included in March Madness do you think Sincy Memphis Gonzaga creighton temple Xavier etc would keep recruiting at their current level?

How many championships?

How many championships among those guys? Final 4s. You take Gonzaga out and you have nothing. 1 outlier.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be included. Just that it won’t change anything.

I cold have added in Butler and FGC hell even us for FF also UCONN for titles. You are saying championship is all that matters? I thought we were talking recruiting impact. If it’s just championships most of the P5 doesn’t matter either.

I think the point is having a path to a title helps with recruiting. Doesn’t even the field but it sure a hell of a lot better than no path. If we give up on that path no matter how hard it unlikely and embrace our own playoff it pretty much seals our fate.

2 Likes

1 Like