Game recap/boxscore

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/111206aab.html]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/111206aab.html[/URL]

[URL=http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/111206aaa.html]boxscore[/URL]

[QUOTE]Halton Arena - North Texas shot 57% from three-point range to consistently hold Charlotte at arm’s length before pulling away for a 90-72 victory. The 49ers, playing on less than 20 hours rest, never found their offensive range in dropping to 1-1 on the young season.

North Texas led by as many as 18 in the first half while shooting an unbelievable .727 from three-point range (8-of-11) and took a 44-35 lead into the break. Charlotte quickly cut the lead to four but could never get any closer as North Texas time and again canned a timely three. Charlotte was within four points at 18:01, 15:04; 13:59; 9:57 and 8:08 and was still within five points, 71-66 with 5:06 to play but North Texas went on a decisive 9-2 run to push the lead into double figures, 80-68, with 2:18 to play.

Kendrick Davis led five of the Mean Green (2-0) with 20 points while Rich Young added 16 points, hitting all four of his three-point attempts. North Texas finished the game shooting 54% from the field and nailing 13-of-23 three-pointers (.565).

Charlotte was led by De’Angelo Alexander’s 25 points, but Alexander hit just 5-of-22 shots and 2-of-13 threes. He did sink 13-of-16 free throws. Leemire Goldwire added 13 points for Charlotte, which shot just .322 from the floor and only .207 (6-of-29) from three-point range.

Senior power forward E.J. Drayton posted his second straight double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds, but received little help on the boards as North Texas took a 35-33 rebounding edge.
[/QUOTE]

6 MF’n assists = all you need to know

Were there really 5,000 people there or is that just tickets sold?

[QUOTE=KTown49er;198308]6 MF’n assists = all you need to know[/QUOTE]

K-Town. If you like that one you will love these. 2 games, 160 points scored and 15 assists.

Add to that 2 games and 172 points given up and you get the picture.

I am afraid to figure the opposing teams FG% and 3pt% from half time of Hofstra game thru NTS today.

no way there were 5,000 in the stands today. Ive seen more people at a high school game, and im talking a 1a mountain high school game haha

There may not even have been 5,000 IN SEATS for Hofstra and it looked packed yesterday compared to today. Those attendance numbers for today are a joke but I’m sure it’s tickets sold.

I am aware that scheduling may be as difficult as recruiting.

But starting the season with 2 games within 24 hours, followed by 10 days off is DUMB.

I overheard (during today’s game) that the preseason NIT at the Bobcats Arena had something to do with this silly scheduling. If that’s true, I’m even more disappointed that the thing at the Bobcats place forces us to compromise our schedule.

I know some of you overanalyze the schedule as soon as its available. I wanted to give it a chance, but after seeing the results, I can’t believe anyone saw something positive would come out of this.

ETA: There is NO REASON to think there will be a game with more than yesterday’s announced attendance before sometime in mid-January.

Don’t expect the attendance to get much bigger in exciting A-10 conference play either.
Thanks Judy!

I believe I was told at some point that our staff is helping to run the Preseason NIT at Bobcats Arena as a dress rehearsal for our being the hosts for the NCAA Regional Finals (Sweet 16 and Elite 8). It was a requirement or something that if we wanted to host the Regionals we had to host another tournament down there, in terms of staffing and running the thing.

(It’s entirely possible I was fed a load of dogsh!t as well, or that it’s true but it’s something else and not the NIT).

For any sporting event it's pretty much always tickets sold because it's always going to be greater than teh number of butts in the seats...
K-Town. If you like that one you will love these. 2 games, 160 points scored and 15 assists.

Add to that 2 games and 172 points given up and you get the picture.

I am afraid to figure the opposing teams FG% and 3pt% from half time of Hofstra game thru NTS today.

Bad ofense, especially shot selection, leads to easy baskets on the other end. Any team that jacks up and misses a lot of threes will give up two footers and wide open threes to the opponent.

[QUOTE=bball49er;198397]Bad ofense, especially shot selection, leads to easy baskets on the other end. Any team that jacks up and misses a lot of threes will give up two footers and wide open threes to the opponent.[/QUOTE]
Looks like another long year…

Bad ofense, especially shot selection, leads to easy baskets on the other end. Any team that jacks up and misses a lot of threes will give up two footers and wide open threes to the opponent.

Precisely,

How many runouts did they have for open looks. And how many 3’s did we jack up within 10 secs off the shot clock. Quick shots and long rebounds led to open transition shots for them. That sped the tempo up of the game. We actually were reasonable in our set defense, but our transition D was brutal. They got open spot up 3’s and easy layups that boosted their shooting percentage.

Bobby has to understand that jacking up 3’s is a bad defensive move more so than a bad offensive one. We have poor rebounding and even poorer transition defense. That being sad we need to slow down the pace and stop the quick shots. They are selfish, hurt team chemistry and don’t give the teammates a chance to get back on defense.

North Texas blows us out.

How far Charlotte has fallen.

And one more thing.

D’Angelo…

[SIZE=6]PASS THE DANG BALL!!![/SIZE]

More “ink” on the game…

Charlotte.com: Bad things come in 3s for frigid 49ers

Charlotte.com: North Texas thumps Charlotte, 90-72

DentonRC.com: UNT Men Beat Charlotte, 90-72

MeanGreenSports.com: North Texas Basketball Uses Hot Shooting To Top Charlotte, 90-72

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;198349]I am aware that scheduling may be as difficult as recruiting.

But starting the season with 2 games within 24 hours, followed by 10 days off is DUMB.

I overheard (during today’s game) that the preseason NIT at the Bobcats Arena had something to do with this silly scheduling. If that’s true, I’m even more disappointed that the thing at the Bobcats place forces us to compromise our schedule.

I know some of you overanalyze the schedule as soon as its available. I wanted to give it a chance, but after seeing the results, I can’t believe anyone saw something positive would come out of this.

ETA: There is NO REASON to think there will be a game with more than yesterday’s announced attendance before sometime in mid-January.[/QUOTE]

North Texas was supposed to be the home opener with Hofstra coming in the middle of this week. But the NIT games at Bobcats arena led to having to put them back to back in order to keep the Hofstra game.

As I said earlier, that back to back works fine if you have a cupcake in the second game. NT is no cupcake, it turns out.

[QUOTE]

Precisely,

How many runouts did they have for open looks. And how many 3’s did we jack up within 10 secs off the shot clock. Quick shots and long rebounds led to open transition shots for them. That sped the tempo up of the game. We actually were reasonable in our set defense, but our transition D was brutal. They got open spot up 3’s and easy layups that boosted their shooting percentage.

Bobby has to understand that jacking up 3’s is a bad defensive move more so than a bad offensive one. We have poor rebounding and even poorer transition defense. [/QUOTE]

Get used to this. Every night this team doesnt shoot well we will lose for this reason. The only bright spot was that our halfcourt defense was not atrocious at all. In fact, it was pretty decent. But our transition defense is a joke. We might as well leave everyone in the froncourt and just baseball pass as soon as they score.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;198420]North Texas was supposed to be the home opener with Hofstra coming in the middle of this week. But the NIT games at Bobcats arena led to having to put them back to back in order to keep the Hofstra game.

As I said earlier, that back to back works fine if you have a cupcake in the second game. NT is no cupcake, it turns out.[/QUOTE]

Lefty, I don’ t understand why the NIT games would affect our scheduling since we are NOT in the NIT field!

Since the NIT is now run by the NCAA, Charlotte provides logistics, just as they would when hosting the NCAA tournament regional games.

Get used to this. Every night this team doesnt shoot well we will lose for this reason. The only bright spot was that our halfcourt defense was not atrocious at all. In fact, it was pretty decent. But our transition defense is a joke. We might as well leave everyone in the froncourt and just baseball pass as soon as they score.

NA

I’m going to have to disagree with you.

Just doing a little research

going back to the beginning of conference play for the year 2004-2005 (The Basden Sr Year)

This is our record when shooting less than 15 3 pointers

1-0

This is our record when shooting between 15-19

8-4

And when we shoot more than 20

20-16

Big difference. We shoot low percentages when we take multiple low percentage shots. I’ll finish the whole 2004-2005 year later, just to give a full perspective.