Georgia to go after XU's Sean Miller?

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3870714]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3870714[/URL]

Mentions Miller as a potential candidate for the opening.

Why would any coach want to put himself on to that coaching carrousel? The guy they just booted took them into the NCAA tourney last year. Grant it they lost first round to X, but they won 4 games in 4 days to get there.

UGA’s hoops facilities suck too. The arena is kind of stuck on the ass end of campus, like someone wanted to hide it.

No way I’d leave X for [B]that[/B] job.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;381265]Why would any coach want to put himself on to that coaching carrousel? The guy they just booted took them into the NCAA tourney last year. Grant it they lost first round to X, but they won 4 games in 4 days to get there.[/QUOTE]

They got on a miracle run last year and got in the back door. Until they commit to wanting a big time program, it will continue to being a revolving door.

IF Miller would leave XU, they would just load up another Coach to take the spot and keep on rolling.

Sean Miller will never go to UGA.

Complete BS. He makes more at X than Felton made at UGA and another bump is in the works through the All for One Club athletic fund raising based on this year’s performance. He’s signed through 2016 or so with a MONSTER buyout The author is just randomly throwing out names. Hopefully X gets to another elite 8 (or further) and after Miller continues to stay AGAIN…folks will realize he is commited to build a chamiponship team at X. (It still bothers us X folks that Sean i smentioned any time there is a job in a “big six conference”- even a job that would be a step down while nobody speculates that Few would leave Gonzaga.) Sean is a family man and he won’t uproot his kids while they are in school. The feeling is the only job he might leave X for would be Pitt to coach his alma mater…and that won’t be open any time soon.

I hope you are right but you never know when the BCS money boys come calling. They are hard to compete with if they really want you.

I hope you are right but you never know when the BCS money boys come calling. They are hard to compete with if they really want you.

I think you will find that X is committed to Miller and vice versa:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3314395

I’d be really, really surprised if Miller jumped at that. UGA will always be a football school, and as someone mentioned above, Stegman Coliseum is a ****hole.

Sean Miller will never go to UGA.

Ding ding.

Sean Miller ain’t goin nowhere.

[QUOTE=powerofX;381304]I think you will find that X is committed to Miller and vice versa:

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3314395[/URL][/QUOTE]

Yeah read that article when it came out. Believe me I hope more than anything that Miller stays but the cold hard facts are BCS conferences have such a money advantage that if they want you bad enough they can make an offer that no one can tun down no matter how committed you are. It works that way in any job. Offering you a contract that will pretty much take care of you and your family for life and never having to go to St. Bonnie in the dead of winter in front of 1800 has got to be enticing for anyone on an upward career path.

Miller is top dog (no pun intended) at XU. I think it would be a poor choice if he were to jump ship and head to UGA. I don’t think I can see that happening. Maybe they will settle for Archie.

Yeah read that article when it came out. Believe me I hope more than anything that Miller stays but the cold hard facts are BCS conferences have such a money advantage that if they want you bad enough they can make an offer that no one can tun down no matter how committed you are. It works that way in any job. Offering you a contract that will pretty much take care of you and your family for life and never having to go to St. Bonnie in the dead of winter in front of 1800 has got to be enticing for anyone on an upward career path.

The BCS is the BCS.

See Jon Lipsitz.

I'm a realist. He very well could leave for the big $ at a school that X simply couldn't match. As you mention, if the money is that much of a difference anyone in any job would take it - myself included. But those schools would be ones like Pitt (alma mater), Kentucky, UConn (when Calhoun retires)...you see where I'm going with this. Georgia? Alabama? He was mentioned for Marquette last year?...We as X fans just get tired of his name being mentioned for ANY big six job out there. Reporters just throw it out there and see if it sticks. Hell, there are rumblings that Northwestern is on the outs with Carmondy..maybe Miller will go there...after all it is a big six job.
I'm a realist. He very well could leave for the big $ at a school that X simply couldn't match. As you mention, if the money is that much of a difference anyone in any job would take it - myself included. But those schools would be ones like Pitt (alma mater), Kentucky, UConn (when Calhoun retires)...you see where I'm going with this. Georgia? Alabama? He was mentioned for Marquette last year?...We as X fans just get tired of his name being mentioned for ANY big six job out there. Reporters just throw it out there and see if it sticks. Hell, there are rumblings that Northwestern is on the outs with Carmondy..maybe Miller will go there...after all it is a big six job.

I remember when Lutz name came up in those conversations… I sure as hell wish they would again!!

[QUOTE=powerofX;381341]I’m a realist. He very well could leave for the big $ at a school that X simply couldn’t match. As you mention, if the money is that much of a difference anyone in any job would take it - myself included. But those schools would be ones like Pitt (alma mater), Kentucky, UConn (when Calhoun retires)…you see where I’m going with this. Georgia? Alabama? He was mentioned for Marquette last year?..We as X fans just get tired of his name being mentioned for ANY big six job out there. Reporters just throw it out there and see if it sticks. Hell, there are rumblings that Northwestern is on the outs with Carmondy…maybe Miller will go there…after all it is a big six job.[/QUOTE]

FWIW I completely agree with you. IF Miller ever leaves, it will be for one of THE basketball jobs. Like Kentucky, etc.

I dont see any of those coming open (except UConn - which I think is an overrated job) anytime soon, so I think he’s staying.

You’re right, nobody can compete with big six money… and if Georgia wants Miller, they’ll get him.

But this is basketball we’re talking about. Putting up enough money to convince Miller to leave Xavier would mean taking money out of football.

This is Georgia we’re talking about. That won’t happen.

Now, can they come up with Bobby Lutz money? Sure would be nice…

Won’t happen unless Georgia alums want to open up their wallet for basketball. First of all, Miller has a HUGE buyout, then I’m sure he’d be wanting at least a mill and a half per year.

Miller said he wouldn’t go to Indiana last year, why in the hell would he want to go to Georgia?

BCS may be BCS, but Xavier puts BCS money into basketball. They have a BCS facility and they bring in BCS attendance. Miller would be crazy to go, if anything these job offers will keep Bobanski extending his contract and raising his salary.

Georgia has almost 0 basketball tradition. Just as basketball will always be king in the ACC, football will always be king in the SEC. What a ****-hole job that would be. Besides Florida there isn’t a consistent team in the SEC. vandy has dropped off the map again and LSU still stinks. Tenn is ok but Pearl still has to prove he will be there year in year out, which he is in the process of. I may have just made my own argument though, Pearl and Donovan will be his only competition, it is a BCS conference so he will get more exposure, and UGA has boatloads of cash but will the alumni care? If he leaves then the A-10 is getting a little more unattractive by the minute.

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;381416]Georgia has almost 0 basketball tradition. Just as basketball will always be king in the ACC, football will always be king in the SEC. What a ****-hole job that would be. Besides Florida there isn’t a consistent team in the SEC. vandy has dropped off the map again and LSU still stinks. Tenn is ok but Pearl still has to prove he will be there year in year out, which he is in the process of. I may have just made my own argument though, Pearl and Donovan will be his only competition, it is a BCS conference so he will get more exposure, and UGA has boatloads of cash but will the alumni care? If he leaves then the A-10 is getting a little more unattractive by the minute.[/QUOTE]

If Sean Miller leaves, Xavier will still remain atop the A10. They will promote from within and continue on. Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller… see a trend?