GMine Update - opponents, Braswell to Big Man Camp, etc

Iā€™m surprised sokool took this stance. I was expecting him to say Major had a top 10 big man and still could not win.

Yea Brazwell isnā€™t even top 20 imo. I feel he can be this year. He just needs to have more force around the rim.

Someone able to hit a J consistently will help Braz a ton. Will also help if Thorne can play some center and let Braz play his natural position a bit more.

Dude, if you think Braz is one of the top 10 big men in the nation you obviously donā€™t follow college basketball at ALL !!![/quote]It doesnā€™t matter whether Braz IS one of the top 10 big men, it only matters that Nike says he is in that group. He is going to get some instruction that will hopefully help him round out his game, the chance to play against some top players that he will never face during the regular season, and on the recruiting trail our coaches can tell kids that we have players at that level. This is a big deal.

[quote=ā€œsokoolā€]Major/Oliver knew somebody who was connected and they got him in. PURE AND SIMPLE[/quote]I hope you are right. That would be an excellent thing. Glad to see you getting on the Major bandwagon.

[quote=ā€œsokool, post:20, topic:26822ā€]These camps are primarily about who you know not who you are. There are 14 players in this camp so that top 10 B.S. is just that.
Major/Oliver knew somebody who was connected and they got him in. PURE AND SIMPLE

Braz was barely recognized as one of the top players in the A-10 ā€¦ 3rd team All-Conf, certainly is not top 10 the in nation big man credentials.[/quote]Well, itā€™s a good thing we have Major and Oliver as coaches, so our players can get these kinds of opportunities, right?

I think Braswell deserved 2nd team all-conference, behind Nicholson and Conklin. I think he was better than Gaston. That said, I wouldnā€™t argue Braswell is top 10, but I think you could make a case for top 20 returning big men, based on his defense, rebounding, and offensive skills. Itā€™s a shame he doesnā€™t get to play pf, as heā€™d be much more dominant at that position (if a true center could occupy the other big man). Iā€™m hoping Thorne and Ivankovic can allow him to do that some this year, even if only a few minutes a game.

I think the important thing is that he is attending this camp, regardless of if he is top 10, top 20, top 30, etc.

Attending this camp cannot hurt.

These camps are primarily about who you know not who you are. There are 14 players in this camp so that top 10 B.S. is just that.
Major/Oliver knew somebody who was connected and they got him in. PURE AND SIMPLE

Braz was barely recognized as one of the top players in the A-10 ā€¦ 3rd team All-Conf, certainly is not top 10 the in nation big man credentials.[/quote]

He was third team in A10 last year. Many good players graduated/left for the NBA. Alot of people are going to expect him to be 1st team all A10 (weā€™ll see when preseason predictions come out, but thats not a stretch at all). A10 is a top 10 conference. Does it mean heā€™s one of the top 10 returning big men next year? Absolutely not. But, heā€™s not as far out of the group as you are making it out to seem.

That group of big men they selected are good. He is too. Its not just that he was ā€˜thrown a boneā€™.

[quote=ā€œ49r9r, post:26, topic:26822ā€]I think the important thing is that he is attending this camp, regardless of if he is top 10, top 20, top 30, etc.

Attending this camp cannot hurt.[/quote]

TRUE

He was third team in A10 last year. Many good players graduated/left for the NBA. Alot of people are going to expect him to be 1st team all A10 (weā€™ll see when preseason predictions come out, but thats not a stretch at all). A10 is a top 10 conference. Does it mean heā€™s one of the top 10 returning big men next year? Absolutely not. But, heā€™s not as far out of the group as you are making it out to seem.

That group of big men they selected are good. He is too. Its not just that he was ā€˜thrown a boneā€™.[/quote]

That group of big men are good and so is Braz ā€¦ but he is far from being an elite power forward or center as is Tony Mitchell from NTS

To his credit he plays for a coach who plays him out of position and runs one of the worst offensive systems in the country.

If Braz was not the focal point of our offense IMO he could be very good as opposed to just good. But as long as Major/Oliver try to force him to be a Jared Sullinger clone Braz will struggle and so will the 49ers.

clt hopes they teach him to never shoot a 3 at this size king camp.

That group of big men they selected are good. He is too. Its not just that he was ā€˜thrown a boneā€™.[/quote]

That group of big men are good and so is Braz ā€¦ but he is far from being an elite power forward or center as is Tony Mitchell from NTS

To his credit he plays for a coach who plays him out of position and runs one of the worst offensive systems in the country.

If Braz was not the focal point of our offense IMO he could be very good as opposed to just good. But as long as Major/Oliver try to force him to be a Jared Sullinger clone Braz will struggle and so will the 49ers.[/quote]

Iā€™d state Tony Mitchell needs more polish, but I can understand you putting him ahead of Braz off of sheer potential. Thatā€™s not really a debate, Iā€™d agree with you that Mitchell will be leaps and bounds better, barring injury or other factor.

As for being the center piece of the offense, I donā€™t think that is what holds Braz back. Itā€™s fine that heā€™s the first option and I think he can excel in that role. The issue is he doesnā€™t have the required shooters to keep defenses honest. I can guarantee you the #1 defensive bullet point on every opponentsā€™ board is going to be to stop him with double teams coming from ineffective shooters on the perimeter. If not, someone needs to get fired.

I agree we/Braz need legit A-10 level shooters in the worst way and if Major/Oliver wiffs on there evaluation of Lester like they did on E.Vic were done.

But Major/Oliver force feeding Braz the ball in a slowdown offense with the opposing defense firmly entrenched is hurting the team and Braz. (see his turnover #s)

Braz is just not polished or versatile enough offensively to shoulder the offensive load of a winning team on a A-10 level ā€¦ ala Andrew Nich

Braz is a great rebounder and is most effective scoring on putbacks and as a secondary option.

Braz has no face up jumpshot, jumphook,nor does he have a strong repertoire of back to the basket moves. One spin move is not going to get it done.

Braz is a fair 3pt shooter but he basically shoots a set shot from his chest. His almost always underhand release around the basket reduces his length and makes it difficult for him to get shots off. This is why he travels and stumbles so much when making moves. This is also why he struggled scoring in crunch time situations.

I do commend Braz though for having some personal success despite Major/Oliver NO CLUE, putting him in a position that he has never been comfortable with his entire career. That being a go to offensive juggernaut.

[quote=ā€œsokool, post:32, topic:26822ā€]I agree we/Braz need legit A-10 level shooters in the worst way and if Major/Oliver wiffs on there evaluation of Lester like they did on E.Vic were done.

But Major/Oliver force feeding Braz the ball in a slowdown offense with the opposing defense firmly entrenched is hurting the team and Braz. (see his turnover #s)

Braz is just not polished or versatile enough offensively to shoulder the offensive load of a winning team on a A-10 level ā€¦ ala Andrew Nich

Braz is a great rebounder and is most effective scoring on putbacks and as a secondary option.

Braz has no face up jumpshot, jumphook,nor does he have a strong repertoire of back to the basket moves. One spin move is not going to get it done.

Braz is a fair 3pt shooter but he basically shoots a set shot from his chest. His almost always underhand release around the basket reduces his length and makes it difficult for him to get shots off. This is why he travels and stumbles so much when making moves. This is also why he struggled scoring in crunch time situations.

I do commend Braz though for having some personal success despite Major/Oliver NO CLUE, putting him in a position that he has never been comfortable with his entire career. That being a go to offensive juggernaut.[/quote]

what is your problem with nickerson? he was a freshmen. i agree that if he doesnt make strides this year then that warrants criticism but you need to back off the kid and quit taking shots at him. we knew coming in that he is raw but the size and skill level is there.

wiffs lol. He has played 30 college games. Should we play a run and gun style offense so Vic and KJ have to play more? When you run, you gotta sub. We could not afford to sub. He is not a great rebounder. He is a good rebounder. He averaged so many freshman year because he was the only dude down low rebouding as all 4 others were outside the 3 point line.

So Major should have put him at the 4 and who at the five? If you do that where does JB and Mayfield go? He had to play center. You act like we had all these other people to play. We had to have that sharp shooting 25+ minute midget out there too. The fact is he was the only offensive player we had and therefore he was going to get double teamed. If the other players cant make wide open shots, which we saw every game, teams would continue to double. No one made wide open shots consistently. Not deuce, derrio, henry, williams, vic, jb, mayfield, none of them. That was the root of the problem which everyone saw. You see it as a no clue system. Others see it as a guy wide open and he cant make it. The coach cant do everything. Free throws, dunks, lay ups were missed all year by freshman and seasoned guys.

And I was just starting to get over these memoriesā€¦ thanks for reminding meā€¦ :frowning: ;D

Oh I forgot freshman are not supposed to be good until they are sophs. (Bull Sh!t) Its Major/Oliverā€™s job to assess what we need and recruit impact freshman/jucoā€™s/transfers to at least give us a fighting chance at that position.

E.Vic was hyped as a do everything kid who could give moderate production. The kid avg 2 reb at 6ā€™7 and 3pts in 17 min . E.VIC not only was a bust his freshman year. He wasnā€™t even physically ready to play at the A-10 level.

I understand you are a major MAJOR APOLOGIST. However he is being paid 1/4 of a million bucks to do a job he is not doing. Forget about going to the dance how about just recruiting players that can help us WIN now.

You say we could not run because we had no one to sub ā€¦ well whoā€™s fault is that?

If Lester is as inept a recruit as VIC, Thorne, T.Will, Illja, youā€™ll be singing the same pathetic losers national anthem, THEY/WEā€™LL be good next year.

Weve got a bunch of tall, slender guys who are faster then they are tough and canā€™t shoot. Running a slow down, spot up OHIO STATE offense is just DUMB. Put these guys in a system where they can use their speed and athleticism and they may have an immediate impact.

Only Major/Oliver (no clue) can prove me wrong by winning more games than they lose. To this point they have done nothing but prove me right.

I believe Braz has more back to the basket moves then you give him credit for, does he have a plethora? No, but hardly one. I will admit his lack of athleticism hurts him even more in this dept., but he has to be more crafty then over powering.

Nicholson had some shooters, at least ones that were consistent, he also just went in the first round of the draft, not exactly apples to apples.

Would you say Braswell has a plethora of pinatas?

No, ā€œpiƱatasā€.

I would not.