GMine Update - opponents, Braswell to Big Man Camp, etc

Yes El Guapo…I would say he has a plethora.

Yes El Guapo…I would say he has a plethora.[/quote]

^^^^^^^^ best poster

We needed every position. He brought in a freshman/transfer for every position. Henry, Williams, Vic, Ivan, Thorne. That could be a starting five. Throw in Luka and Mayfield and you have a 7 man rotation. Not a true 7 man rotation but you could get away with it. Some of them performed well, some didn’t. Not every freshman is going to be great. Henry did a lot of good things. Williams does a lot besides score. Vic got to the rim a lot but could never finish. Ivan played decent when in there. Thorne TBD. Luka could shoot some and Mayfield improved a ton through the season. You just like to bash everyone.

I don’t want Bowden and Ian Anderson on the team. They could shoot but were garbage everywhere else. You can improve your jumpshot. The team can practice 8 weeks in summer now which should help a lot. Leemire never shot above 40% for a season (39.9 junior yr). Braswell shot 51% from the field and almost 78% FT. He was good, very good with awful shooting from every other player. You just want to throw these guys in the river because they didnt impact day one. Stupid

You just want to throw these guys in the river because they didnt impact day one. Stupid[/quote]

Its not the freshman I have a problem with. I am more than well versed on the maturation period of freshman who are avg at best.

I have a problem with a coaching staff that does not retain experienced players and recruits project freshman, when he needs, impact players. DUMB

[quote=“sokool, post:36, topic:26822”]Oh I forgot freshman are not supposed to be good until they are sophs. (Bull Sh!t) Its Major/Oliver’s job to assess what we need and recruit impact freshman/juco’s/transfers to at least give us a fighting chance at that position.

…

However he is being paid 1/4 of a million bucks to do a job he is not doing. Forget about going to the dance how about just recruiting players that can help us WIN now.[/quote]These two quotes I disagree with completely. Major’s job is to improve the program long-term. If that means winning fewer games now, then it’s worth it as long as it pays off later. The problem is that when building slowly, you usually can’t see whether it’s working until several years have passed, particularly when the program was starting at a low point. Major’s building slowly by bringing in lots of freshmen who are likely to struggle their first year. If these players don’t develop and future recruits don’t either, then yeah, he hasn’t done his job. But writing them off as “busts” and “inept” after their first year is asinine.

You would’ve fired Chris Mooney at Richmond after year 2, right? He actually did worse than Major, because the A10 was weaker then.

We needed every position. He brought in a freshman/transfer for every position. Henry, Williams, Vic, Ivan, Thorne. That could be a starting five. Throw in Luka and Mayfield and you have a 7 man rotation. Not a true 7 man rotation but you could get away with it. Some of them performed well, some didn’t. Not every freshman is going to be great. Henry did a lot of good things. Williams does a lot besides score. Vic got to the rim a lot but could never finish. Ivan played decent when in there. Thorne TBD. Luka could shoot some and Mayfield improved a ton through the season. You just like to bash everyone.

I don’t want Bowden and Ian Anderson on the team. They could shoot but were garbage everywhere else. You can improve your jumpshot. The team can practice 8 weeks in summer now which should help a lot. Leemire never shot above 40% for a season (39.9 junior yr). Braswell shot 51% from the field and almost 78% FT. He was good, very good with awful shooting from every other player. You just want to throw these guys in the river because they didnt impact day one. Stupid[/quote]

Please don’t ever lump Ian in with Shamarr Bowden. If you don’t want Ian on your team, you’re crazy. I can understand not wanting him to see a lot of playing time, but he is about as good a guy to have on your team (great kid, no attitude problems, lead by example on and off the court) as you could ever hope to get.

[quote=“9erken, post:45, topic:26822”][quote=“sokool, post:36, topic:26822”]…

However he is being paid 1/4 of a million bucks to do a job he is not doing. Forget about going to the dance how about just recruiting players that can help us WIN now.[/quote]These two quotes I disagree with completely. Major’s job is to improve the program long-term. If that means winning fewer games now, then it’s worth it as long as it pays off later. The problem is that when building slowly, you usually can’t see whether it’s working until several years have passed, particularly when the program was starting at a low point. Major’s building slowly by bringing in lots of freshmen who are likely to struggle their first year. If these players don’t develop and future recruits don’t either, then yeah, he hasn’t done his job. But writing them off as “busts” and “inept” after their first year is asinine.

You would’ve fired Chris Mooney at Richmond after year 2, right? He actually did worse than Major, because the A10 was weaker then.[/quote]

Chris Mooney was a winner 18-12 his first year coach as a head coach at Air Force, before having 2 down years at Richmond. So he had proven that he could win early. Major/Oliver(no clue) has never proven to be anything but a LOSER.

Major/Oliver(no clue) inherited a team that was 19-12 with 4 starters back … it was their choice to BLOW that team up for whatever reasons knowing full well we were not going to be competitive in the A-10.

Now the consequences of their decision making has them the losingest coaches after 2 years in the modern if not the entire history of Charlotte basketball.

Good coaches win Losing make excuses. Nobody’s asking Major to be a worldwind but consistently finishing at the bottom is something any JOEBLOW can do.

[quote=“sokool, post:47, topic:26822”][quote=“9erken, post:45, topic:26822”][quote=“sokool, post:36, topic:26822”]…

You would’ve fired Chris Mooney at Richmond after year 2, right? He actually did worse than Major, because the A10 was weaker then.[/quote]

Chris Mooney was a winner 18-12 his first year coach as a head coach at Air Force, before having 2 down years at Richmond. So he had proven that he could win early. Major/Oliver(no clue) has never proven to be anything but a LOSER.

Major/Oliver(no clue) inherited a team that was 19-12 with 4 starters back … it was their choice to BLOW that team up for whatever reasons knowing full well we were not going to be competitive in the A-10.

Now the consequences of their decision making has them the losingest coaches after 2 years in the modern if not the entire history of Charlotte basketball.

Good coaches win Losing make excuses. Nobody’s asking Major to be a worldwind but consistently finishing at the bottom is something any JOEBLOW can do.[/quote]

I like your little nicknames it’s cute. You actually make a few points in all your venom and most on here will agree with you this is the make or break year, we need to be in the NIT or NCAA bubble or I will consider Major a bad hire. This under 500 crap again with the soft OOC schedule we have is not cutting it.

I agree EE. We need to at least make the NIT this year.

[quote=“sokool, post:47, topic:26822”]Chris Mooney was a winner 18-12 his first year coach as a head coach at Air Force, before having 2 down years at Richmond.[/quote] I believe you missed the point. Rebuilding takes time. Mooney’s past coaching is simply not relevant at a new place. Just look at Watkins’ time at Texas A&M.

it was their choice to BLOW that team up for whatever reasons knowing full well we were not going to be competitive in the A-10.
I'm not sure you phrased that right given what it seems your other opinions are. Are you saying that they knew we weren't going to be competitive so they blew up the team? If so, I agree, we weren't going to be competitive in the A10 with those players, though I thought they did it two years too late. Given the rocky relationships in the first two years, they probably should've kicked Spears off the team in week 1, and asked Briscoe, Sherrill, et al. to transfer out sooner, at least by the end of year 1.

Well, it doesn’t really matter what Major does after this year because our basketball program will be irrelevant regardless.

Good thing Butler and Gonzaga didn’t have that opinion in their lesser conferences.

If Major is as good as some think he is the conference change shouldn’t matter that much. Now if you are just pissed because you have fallen in love with A10 competition then I understand - thats how I felt about the move from CUSA in the firs place. Lesser competition should have us near the top of the conference. If you can dance consistently what more do you want? Larger recruiting territory, back into some areas where we have gotten great talent on the past is a great thing. I know you like the A10 - I just don’t understand why you like it so much when we have done nothing but suck while we have been in it.

This could possibly be true, however it isn’t like we entered the Socon or anything. CUSA should be respectable. Marshall and USM were both very solid programs last year. Our success will be determined by how good our coaching/recruiting is once we enter. This year is a huge year for Coach Major. If we finish this year with a losing record it probably won’t bode well for his future. I don’t think we have to win the A10 this year but I sure would at least like to see us in the NIT.

This could possibly be true, however it isn’t like we entered the Socon or anything. CUSA should be respectable. Marshall and USM were both very solid programs last year. Our success will be determined by how good our coaching/recruiting is once we enter. This year is a huge year for Coach Major. If we finish this year with a losing record it probably won’t bode well for his future. I don’t think we have to win the A10 this year but I sure would at least like to see us in the NIT.[/quote]

CHP put Major on notice at the CUSA presser. Not making the NCAAs is not an option. I think if Major doesn’t show significant improvement this could be it for him. I don’t think we have to make the NCAAs, but we have to have a much better season.