Gokhan Sirin - PF FR 2009

[URL=http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=88802]http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=88802[/URL]

Gokhan Sirin - 6’9", 190 pound forward, St. Mary’s Ryken HS (Lenoardtown, MD) - Turkish national, dead-eye shooter, that has a pretty good feel for the game.

They list him at 204 lbs now. Considering Georgetown and Others…

From the free story posted on Rivals:

[QUOTE]9/30/08 2009 Prospects

Gokhan Sirin- If Sirin isn’t a pure shooter, then he is awful close to being one. The 6-foot-8, 180-pound face up four man from Turkey started out the day hitting jumpers over small defenders. As the day wore on he got more aggressive with the ball and started making plays off the dribble. Getting stronger is a must for Sirin, who has only been lifting weights for the four weeks that he has been in the States, to be able to defend and rebound at the high major level. His offensive skill level, however, is definitely high major caliber.

In his short time in the United States, Sirin has already been visited by head coaches Bob Huggins and Herb Sendek and assistant coaches from Miami, Pittsburgh, Kansas State and George Mason.[/QUOTE]

Lefty, is this a guy we are after for certain?

He is being recruited by Georgetown.

Tease!!!

Anyways, I don’t think Lutz likes having more than 1 guy over 6’7". It wouldn’t work.

I saw his name and actually thought it was a Davidson recruit.

If those high profile coaches are after him then I don’t see us getting a shot. It would take a lot of convincing to get him here.

I will stick with the ones we know have been contacted by our coaches and are making visits to Charlotte.

If those high profile coaches are after him then I don't see us getting a shot. It would take a lot of convincing to get him here.

I will stick with the ones we know have been contacted by our coaches and are making visits to Charlotte.

Typically, we would actually stand a better shot with highly touted guys from overseas than here at home. Those guys haven’t been “brainwashed” by the BSC schools hype their entire lives.

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;396407]If those high profile coaches are after him then I don’t see us getting a shot. It would take a lot of convincing to get him here. [/QUOTE]

Those are the coaches who were intrigued and checked him out shortly after he came to Maryland. He’s being recruited by Georgetown and a bunch of A-10 schools.

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;396407]I will stick with the ones we know have been contacted by our coaches and are making visits to Charlotte. [/QUOTE]

Why do you think I posted him?

If we get reports that this guy is showing up Rodney White in practice, he could be our next MATAS.

Only if he does the eyebrow thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=3964092

Sirin has three formal Division I college scholarship offers and Tallman believes that more schools will offer Sirin before the next NCAA signing period in April. [b] "Gokhan has firm scholarship offers from Duquesne, Loyola and Charlotte, but some high Division I colleges are watching him," Tallman said.[/b]

“I do want to play basketball in college in America,” Sirin said. “I want to play basketball here and get a good education. I am working hard on lifting weights, getting stronger and making myself better as a player.”

Sirin increased his weight to a more solid 201 pounds and according to Tallman is working hard in the weight room to improve his strength.

Ouch.

haha. dude i lived in the same neighborhood (in turkey) as this guy.

So we’ve got an offer out to a PF for next year…

We had better have a PG in the bag…

If we can get another quality big man, then go get him. Otherwise, we need to save the scholly for 2010 and push hard then.

Why do you think I posted him?

But you made no mention of him being recruited by us in your opening post. Would have been nice if you had. And rivals doesn’t make mention of him being recruited by us.

I did just see the ESPN article so I’ll give you that. Why isn’t there much chatter about him on the boards before now?

someone needs to make a comment on that article that we are a major college offer.

[URL]http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=evaluation&recruitId=71794&action=login&appRedirect=http%3A%2F%2Finsider.espn.go.com%2Fncb%2Frecruiting%2Ftracker%2Fplayer%3Fpage%3Devaluation%26recruitId%3D71794[/URL]

Pretty decent grade on espn.

someone needs to make a comment on that article that we are a major college offer.

Whether we think so or not, others do not see us that way because we are not in a BCS conference and/or we have not been past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in 32 years. :unhappy:

most players that have been graded on ESPN have high ratings. They’re far too generous in their rankings. Almost everyone attending a DI school gets an 80-90

And we haven’t been to the big dance in 4 years. And we struggled to make the A-10 conference tournament. I think if we were looking at another school with our resume and we were where we were 5 years ago, we probably wouldn’t call us a major college offer either. In fact, if that team lost a recruit to this team, we’d probably be offended.