Gokhan Sirin - PF FR 2009

Report from Nike Team fall workout and exposure camp in Clearwater, Florida last fall…

Point guard Brandon Knight, the No. 2 player in the Class of 2010, and PF Okaro White (No. 48) headlined a deep talent pool. [b]Turkish import Gohkan Sirin came into the event under the radar and made a name for himself. Sirin, who has only been in the United States for a month, is a 6-foot-9 super-skilled PF. He made his presence felt in the opening game of the day by draining deep 3s on a regular basis.[/b]

Standout players

Gohkan Sirin, PF (6-9,185)
Senior, Leonardtown, Md.

This pick-and-pop forward has range beyond the 3-point line and a textbook stroke. Sirin is ready to shoot on the catch and gets off his shot before the defense can recover. He runs the floor in transition, spotting up on the 3-point line and daring his man to help on penetration. In the half court, he reads guard penetration and does a great job locating the open area and getting to the vision of the passer ready to pull the trigger. Sirin also makes plays off the dribble with foot and shot fakes to move the defender to set up drives to the rim or his pull up jumper. He plays hard and has an excellent basketball IQ. Sirin lacks strength and avoids contact but his skill level is big time for a player his size. He is a decent rebounder and streaky athlete who will throw it down with a clear path to the rim. He understands how to defend on-ball screens and uses his length to defend quicker players off the dribble. This kid has great upside, and when his strength catches up to his skill, watch out!

ESPN.com: Super 60 players Knight, White show off skills at Florida team event

BTW, is it Gokhan or Gohkan? Seen his first name spelled both ways.

Report from Nike Team fall workout and exposure camp in Clearwater, Florida last fall...

Interestingly it looks like it would be pronounced different ways too.

Sounds like he could be a dangerous player, but will likely take some time to develop. However, he sounds way more like a SF than a PF. Doesn’t like contact, has a great shot and likes to attack the basket.

If those high profile coaches are after him then I don't see us getting a shot. It would take a lot of convincing to get him here.

I will stick with the ones we know have been contacted by our coaches and are making visits to Charlotte.

Iti, Rodney, Withers, Beasley, Charles Heyward, Braswell were all top 100 guys and they committed here (Beasley left on a fluke)

That doesn’t mean you just throw in the towel

[QUOTE=Powerbait;396769]Sounds like he could be a dangerous player, but will likely take some time to develop. However, he sounds way more like a SF than a PF. Doesn’t like contact, has a great shot and likes to attack the basket.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this smells like redshirt. 6’9’’ and skinny with a rep as a shooter. The high school team he plays for is in a very competitive league (ie with dematha, etc) but wasn’t very good.

Dont know anything about the guy, he could be a stud…but i’m terrified of our track record here with guys with “similar” games such as Matas, Phaler, etc.

Yeah, this smells like redshirt. 6'9'' and skinny with a rep as a shooter. The high school team he plays for is in a very competitive league (ie with dematha, etc) but wasn't very good.

Dont know anything about the guy, he could be a stud…but i’m terrified of our track record here with guys with “similar” games such as Matas, Phaler, etc.

From what I’m reading he doesn’t sound like a redshirt at all. We only redshirt guys who can’t contribute right away or are injured. We need shooters.

Some videos…

[b]Gokhan Sirin three-ball

Gokhan Sirin connects on tough fadeaway

Gokhan Sirin finishes inside

Gokhan Sirin rolls in another 3[/b]

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396775]From what I’m reading he doesn’t sound like a redshirt at all. We only redshirt guys who can’t contribute right away or are injured. We need shooters.[/QUOTE]

He’s a foot taller than you and probably weighs around as much as you do. People thought Phaler looked like a skeleton…I mean, this guy is gonna be a rail. He would get beasted by real PFs, but if he bulked up a lot, he could be a big SF. He would get beasted in the paint in the A-10.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396775]From what I’m reading he doesn’t sound like a redshirt at all. We only redshirt guys who can’t contribute right away or are injured. We need shooters.[/QUOTE]

Phaler was billed as a ‘shooter’. As was Javarris. Supposedly.

If they plan on this kid even venturing into the paint as a SF or PF he needs a year to lift weights and gain strength. Even his high school coach said he needs to work out a ton (and he apparently is trying to—will give him credit, his coach called him a gym rat and a very hard worker).

He's a foot taller than you and probably weighs around as much as you do. People thought Phaler looked like a skeleton...I mean, this guy is gonna be a rail. He would get beasted by real PFs, but if he bulked up a lot, he could be a big SF. He would get beasted in the paint in the A-10.

Right, but as skinny as Phaler was, he wasn’t redshirted. If he had been the shooter he was supposed to be, he would have gotten plenty of minutes. This kid doesn’t sound like a PF at all and I doubt he would be expected to play there. Especially, with the depth we have at that position next season.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;396778]Phaler was billed as a ‘shooter’. As was Javarris. Supposedly.

If they plan on this kid even venturing into the paint as a SF or PF he needs a year to lift weights and gain strength. Even his high school coach said he needs to work out a ton (and he apparently is trying to—will give him credit, his coach called him a gym rat and a very hard worker).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he COULD be a stellar player I just don’t see it right away. If he is a pure shooter, he’d be a fantastic SG. Especially if he can handle the ball. He wouldn’t have to put on as much weight and would be a nightmare matchup on both sides of the floor. Of course, if he came here, we’d stick him in at C and he’d play 3 minutes a game for 2 years and then transfer.

Yeah, he COULD be a stellar player I just don't see it right away. If he is a pure shooter, he'd be a fantastic SG. Especially if he can handle the ball. He wouldn't have to put on as much weight and would be a nightmare matchup on both sides of the floor. Of course, if he came here, we'd stick him in at C and he'd play 3 minutes a game for 2 years and then transfer.

Name a guy who was this highly rated that we ever gave a nonmedical redshirt.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396781]Name a guy who was this highly rated that we ever gave a nonmedical redshirt.[/QUOTE]

Just because we don’t do it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t. Unless he can add 40 lbs between now and when he starts college ball, he’s gonna get crushed in the paint. Leemire weighed 190…

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396781]Name a guy who was this highly rated that we ever gave a nonmedical redshirt.[/QUOTE]

Um, Javarris? Another skinny ‘shooter’. Both were 3 star non rated recruits by rvials.

Mostly, as Lutz pointed out in his interview, this is very late in the game for freshman. You are not usually not going to get an impact player at this stage unless unusual circumstances (basden decommitting, etc.)

Just because we don't do it doesn't mean we shouldn't. Unless he can add 40 lbs between now and when he starts college ball, he's gonna get crushed in the paint. Leemire weighed 190...

If he can shoot the ball he can play 10 minutes a game at the 2 or 3 and hit some shots for us as a freshman. I don’t see any reason to redshirt him. His skill set isn’t a PF’s skill set, despite being listed as one. I doubt he’d spend much time in the paint.

Matas was a late signing international player who was supposedly a coup for that late in the recruiting season.

But anyway, I just want to win. I really don’t care about the particulars at this point.

Report from Nike Team fall workout and exposure camp in Clearwater, Florida last fall...

Its Gokhan, and its pronounced like Gohkan or Goekhan

Um, Javarris? Another skinny 'shooter'. Both were 3 star non rated recruits by rvials.

Mostly, as Lutz pointed out in his interview, this is very late in the game for freshman. You are not usually not going to get an impact player at this stage unless unusual circumstances (basden decommitting, etc.)

Javarris was not highly rated. This guy got an 88 grade on ESPN. IIRC, Javarris wasn’t even rated by ESPN.

[QUOTE=NLP;396785]Matas was a late signing international player who was supposedly a coup for that late in the recruiting season.

But anyway, I just want to win. I really don’t care about the particulars at this point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was my point exactly. Like I said, dont know the guy, just know our track record.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396787]Javarris was not highly rated. This guy got an 88 grade on ESPN. IIRC, Javarris wasn’t even rated by ESPN.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, both 3 stars by rivals. You can nit pick about ratings, but if this guy is such a super recruit he would have had a ton of offers before the spring period when teams get desperate.