Gokhan Sirin - PF FR 2009

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396784]If he can shoot the ball he can play 10 minutes a game at the 2 or 3 and hit some shots for us as a freshman. I don’t see any reason to redshirt him. His skill set isn’t a PF’s skill set, despite being listed as one. I doubt he’d spend much time in the paint.[/QUOTE]

Even if he is a wing forward, he’s gonna have to guard in the paint and drive the lane on offense. He’s gonna get blown up on screens, get the ball ripped from him, and lose rebounds to stronger shorter players. At that height, he could be a defensive matchup, but it is likely the other team is going to abuse him with screens and just being faster than he is.

Now if he is a great, great shooter it may be worth putting him on the floor but so much about him screams project. He certainly doesn’t seem like a guy who is going to be able to produce for a few years.

Like I said, both 3 stars by rivals. You can nit pick about ratings, but if this guy is such a super recruit he would have had a ton of offers before the spring period when teams get desperate.

Well, in any case, we still have to sign the guy before he can get minutes or be redshirted. If he signs and sucks, he’ll get redshirted and then probably sit on the bench and transfer like PB said.

But my point is if he is any good, I think he’ll get a few minutes a game right away. If he can make his shots, he will play.

This guy sounds like a Pat Calathes type player. I’ll take him if that’s the case.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;396784]If he can shoot the ball [B]he can play 10 minutes a game[/B] at the 2 or 3 and hit some shots for us as a freshman. I don’t see any reason to redshirt him. His skill set isn’t a PF’s skill set, despite being listed as one. I doubt he’d spend much time in the paint.[/QUOTE]

true, or you can let him gain some weight and muscle and play and be more of a physical player all 4 years instead of being soft for a year and having a stronger player for 3. as bad as our rebounding has been, we can’t risk having a soft player in there on the defensive side. we need as many strong players as possible.

Even if he is a wing forward, he's gonna have to guard in the paint and drive the lane on offense. He's gonna get blown up on screens, get the ball ripped from him, and lose rebounds to stronger shorter players. At that height, he could be a defensive matchup, but it is likely the other team is going to abuse him with screens and just being faster than he is.

Now if he is a great, great shooter it may be worth putting him on the floor but so much about him screams project. He certainly doesn’t seem like a guy who is going to be able to produce for a few years.

I agree with PB and Iron on this. I wouldn’t have high expectations for this guy. That’s not to say we don’t go after him though. As already been mentioned, the pickens are slim right now.

I would prefer a Charles Hayward type player with the current roster. Not necessarily with his ranking. But somebody with his height, can run the floor, block shots, rebound. Or maybe a Jermaine Williams, Kenkay Jones type. I just think we’re still going to need help rebounding.

Maybe if Barnett develops more in the off season, gets stronger, better rebounder, then a guy like Sirin would be a better fit.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;396780] Of course, if he came here, we’d stick him in at C and he’d play 3 minutes a game for 2 years and then transfer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course. By that time there will be some jucos available who aren’t ready for D1 now.

PERFECT player for Lutz’s system. If he can shoot as well as advertised he will play, and play often…GUARANTEED!

This would be a great late signing!

Add in a point guard and this would be the best class in a LONG time!

Braswell
Sherrill
Sirin
?
Spears RS
Bowden RS

VERY SOLID ON PAPER!

by the way the star big man for villanova was a very late signing; cunningham. It was between Nova and us.

PERFECT player for Lutz's system. If he can shoot as well as advertised he will play, and play often.......GUARANTEED!

This would be a great late signing!

Add in a point guard and this would be the best class in a LONG time!

Agreed. We need all the scoring power we can get our hands on.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;397122]by the way the star big man for villanova was a very late signing; cunningham. It was between Nova and us.[/QUOTE]

Actually, according to Rivals, he visited us in September and commited to Villanova the first week of October. Dont know when he technically signed, but his recruitment was done pretty early.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;397171]Actually, according to Rivals, he visited us in September and commited to Villanova the first week of October. Dont know when he technically signed, but his recruitment was done pretty early.[/QUOTE]

We were also after and offered Goran Suton. They pronounce it Sootawn which surprised be.

any updates on Sirin?

No Dragon Ball Z Jokes?

No Dragon Ball Z Jokes?
Wow I must be getting old. I totally didn't think about that at all and I def used to watch.

Still got no good jokes tho…

[QUOTE=49erFan1;402085]No Dragon Ball Z Jokes?[/QUOTE]

What DBZ joke could you make about him?

Also, saw the new movie and may be one of the few people who didn’t hate it. I liked it a lot.

What DBZ joke could you make about him?

Also, saw the new movie and may be one of the few people who didn’t hate it. I liked it a lot.

I went to the movie expecting to hate it and really enjoyed it.

I’m guessing the joke would be that Gokhan is close to both Goku and Gohan.

[QUOTE=LoyalNiner;402100]I went to the movie expecting to hate it and really enjoyed it.

I’m guessing the joke would be that Gokhan is close to both Goku and Gohan.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess I can see that.

The movie was fun. I just wish the Goku/Piccolo fight was better. But I was laughing almost all movie, it was very much in the spirit of the show.

Yeah, it definitely had the fun, silly parts like the show. Like the part where Goku tries to gel his hair and it doesn’t work.

Yeah, I guess I can see that.

The movie was fun. I just wish the Goku/Piccolo fight was better. But I was laughing almost all movie, it was very much in the spirit of the show.

Yeah, it definitely had the fun, silly parts like the show. Like the part where Goku tries to gel his hair and it doesn't work.