Golf team going to the East Regional

A challenging field awaits the 49ers in Alpharetta, as 20th-ranked Charlotte will square off with eight teams ranked in the top-25 of the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index. The field’s total of nine top-25 teams ties with the West Regional for the top total. Top-ranked Georgia, No. 11 Clemson and No. 7 Florida lead the field. Seeded one spot below Florida is No. 12 Coastal Carolina, the Big South champion, while the host school and Atlantic Coast Conference co-champion Georgia Tech, the nation’s 10th-ranked team, claimed the fifth seed. Georgia State grabbed the sixth seed at the Alpharetta regional, 23rd-ranked North Carolina was seeded eighth. No. 25 Florida State and No. 24 Duke round out the top-10 seeds and contingent of ranked teams at the East Regional in the ninth and 10th spots, respectively.

Georgia Tech will host the event from May 17-19 at the Golf Club of Georgia in Alpharetta, Ga.

[B]Selections released[/B]
[I]NCAASports.org
May 7, 2007[/I]

INDIANAPOLIS–The NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Committee has selected the teams and individuals to participate in the 2007 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championships.

The championships will be conducted May 30-June 2 at the Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe Golf Club in Williamsburg, Virginia. Virginia Commonwealth University is the host institution for this year’s championships.

Three regional tournaments, encompassing the current nine sub-regions, will be conducted May 17-19. A total of 27 teams and six individuals not on selected teams were assigned to each regional site. Ten teams and two individuals not on advancing teams will move on from each regional to the championship finals.

Listed below are the teams and individuals selected to participate in the championships. Teams winning automatic qualification are designated by their conferences in parentheses.

[B]EAST REGIONAL[/B]
Golf Club of Georgia, Alpharetta, Georgia
Hosted by Georgia Tech

1. Georgia
  2. Clemson
  3. Florida
  4. Coastal Carolina (Big South Conference)
  5. Georgia Tech (Atlantic Coast Conference)
  6. Georgia State
    [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]7. Charlotte (Atlantic 10 Conference)[/COLOR][/B]
  7. North Carolina
  8. Florida State
  9. Duke
  10. Auburn
  11. Mississippi
  12. Chattanooga (Southern Conference)
  13. UAB
  14. UCF
  15. Virginia Tech
  16. Penn State
  17. Old Dominion (Colonial Athletic Association)
  18. Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley Conference)
  19. Louisiana-Lafayette (Sun Belt Conference)
  20. St. John’s
  21. Eastern Michigan (Mid-American Conference)
  22. Maryland
  23. Longwood
  24. Rhode Island
  25. Hartford
  26. Boston College

Individuals:

1. Duncan Stewart, Jacksonville
  2. Fredric Sundberg, Campbell
  3. Chris Narramore, Middle Tennessee
  4. Matt Cook, Western Carolina
  5. Russell Knox, Jacksonville
  6. Jeff Dennis, North Florida

[B]CENTRAL REGIONAL[/B]
Rich Harvest Farms, Sugar Grove, Illinois
Hosted by Northern Illinois

1. Alabama
  2. Oklahoma State (Big 12 Conference)
  3. Lamar (Southland Conference)
  4. Texas A&M
  5. Louisville (Big East Conference)
  6. Tennessee (Southeastern Conference)
  7. Tulsa (Conference USA)
  8. Texas
  9. TCU
  10. Michigan State (Big Ten Conference)
  11. Minnesota
  12. Southeastern Louisiana
  13. Northwestern
  14. Texas Tech
  15. Wisconsin
  16. Purdue
  17. Wichita State
  18. Southern Methodist
  19. Baylor
  20. Kansas
  21. Colorado
  22. Nebraska
  23. Oklahoma
  24. Illinois State (Missouri Valley Conference)
  25. Western Illinois (Mid-Continent Conference)
  26. Siena (Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference)
  27. Texas Southern (Southwestern Athletic Conference)

Individuals:

1. Andrew Landry, Arkansas
  2. Jorge Campillo, Indiana
  3. Jordan Irwin, Houston
  4. Mauricio Tamez, Oral Roberts
  5. Mike Van Sickle, Marquette
  6. Jason Kokrak, Xavier

[B]WEST REGIONAL[/B]
ASU’s Karsten Course, Tempe, Arizona
Hosted by Arizona State

1. Stanford
  2. UCLA
  3. UNLV
  4. Southern California (Pacific-10 Conference)
  5. East Tennessee State (Atlantic Sun Conference)
  6. Brigham Young (Mountain West Conference)
  7. Arizona State
  8. Wake Forest
  9. Arizona
  10. UC Irvine (Big West Conference)
  11. South Carolina
  12. Washington
  13. Vanderbilt
  14. Augusta State
  15. Pepperdine (West Coast Conference)
  16. San Diego State
  17. New Mexico
  18. Oregon State
  19. Colorado State
  20. Oregon
  21. California
  22. Nevada (Western Athletic Conference)
  23. Denver
  24. Pennsylvania (Ivy Group)
  25. Detroit (Horizon League)
  26. Bucknell (Patriot League)
  27. Monmouth (Northeast Conference)

Individuals:

1. Brian Locke, Loyola Marymount
  2. Dustin Pimm, Utah
  3. Darrin Hall, San Diego
  4. Michael McRae, St. Mary’s (California)
  5. Geoff Gonzalez, Cal Poly
  6. Thomas Petersson, Pacific

[QUOTE]Ten teams and two individuals not on advancing teams will move on from each regional to the championship finals.[/QUOTE]

So 10 teams out of 27 in each region will advance to the championship finals.

7th seed is strong.

[QUOTE=HP49er;237142][B]EAST REGIONAL[/B]
[B][COLOR=DarkGreen]
7. Charlotte (Atlantic 10 Conference)[/COLOR][/B]

1. North Carolina

2. Duke

[B]WEST REGIONAL[/B]
8. Wake Forest
[/QUOTE]
So, does this mean we are supposed to have the best golf team in the state of NC? We have the best seed.

Coastal Carolina is 4th, but a little research reveals that they are in South Carolina. Live and learn, I guess.

4. Coastal Carolina (Big South Conference)

Edit, because TNA edited his post!

Edit, because TNA edited his post!

Yeah, I posted it before remembering that there’s a whole other Carolina under ours that has universities and cities and everything. Sometimes I forget, but it’s understandable.

Will UNC chapel Hill’s chancellor fly our tax dollar plane to watch his tarheels tee off one spot behind us?

Will UNC chapel Hill's chancellor fly our [B]tax dollar plane[/B] to watch his tarheels tee off one spot behind us?

:lmao:

[QUOTE=ninerID;237153]Will UNC chapel Hill’s chancellor fly our tax dollar plane to watch his tarheels tee off one spot behind us?[/QUOTE]

I think it should become our team plane for the next 2 weeks.

If the tarholes finish ahead of us in the regionals, will the Observer caption be “Tarheels Upset 49ers”?

So what does a higher seed do for you in a golf tournament?

[QUOTE=pcon;237202]So what does a higher seed do for you in a golf tournament?[/QUOTE]
The higher the seed, the longer the distance of the official “gimme” putt. Also, the total number of mulligans increases as the seed gets higher.

:biggrin:

If the tarholes finish ahead of us in the regionals, will the Observer caption be [B]"Tarheels Upset 49ers"[/B]?

Tarheels Overcome Unfair Seeding, Defeat Inferior College Who Will Not Be Named.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;237206][B]Tarheels Overcome Unfair Seeding, Long Bus Ride, Defeat Inferior College Who Will Not Be Named[/B].[/QUOTE]
fixed

This just means the Legislature will further reduce our funding, you know.

[QUOTE=pcon;237202]So what does a higher seed do for you in a golf tournament?[/QUOTE]

Play with better teams (#7-9 play together). Some of the teams in the 20+ range are not very good and get in based on “slots” from where they are geographically (see Boston College and Rhode Island).

[QUOTE=49er1;237273]This just means the Legislature will further reduce our funding, you know.[/QUOTE]
Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some truth to this statement.
…

i guess if we win it all our team will be playing with plastic clubs next season.

[SIZE=3]All joking aside, which is rare for me, we need to capitalize on this seeding. I’m sick of seeing Charlotte teams get decent seedings and do nothing with them. Go Charlotte Golfers!!! Win it all!!! Get our school on the map. This is our chance to kick some ACC ass. [COLOR=darkgreen][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkgreen][B]CHARLOTTE 49ERS NCAA GOLF CHAMPIONS 2007!!![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Submarley734;237298][SIZE=3]All joking aside, which is rare for me, we need to capitalize on this seeding. I’m sick of seeing Charlotte teams get decent seedings and do nothing with them. Go Charlotte Golfers!!! Win it all!!! Get our school on the map. This is our chance to kick some ACC ass. [COLOR=darkgreen][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkgreen]CHARLOTTE 49ERS NCAA GOLF CHAMPIONS 2007!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Not sure what map you are looking at, but we are on Google… :biggrin: