Graduation / Commencement Speakers

So, CPCC is having Dr. Jill Biden speak at their graduation ceremony. Davidson had Supreme Court Justice Sonja Sotomayor (sp?) and I can’t think of anyone high profile or memorable we’ve ever had.

When I graduated [almost a decade ago now - geez!] we had the president of the UNC system there, and she kept saying that we were “UNC grads” or “graduates of UNC” and I wanted to scream. It was atrocious.

Who is in charge of this? How can we attract higher profile speakers?

Obama was here the night before his first election, maybe we can get him back after he leaves office.

I think we should give SCK the task - for every class from here until he dies.

Seriously though I have wondered about this. How do up our game with this? Is it just about $? Surely we could at least get some of the CEOs in Charlotte to say a few words.

Clinton would be funnier, the one with the external genitals…oh, wait…the one who identifies as “male”.

Janet Reno

We don’t have commencement speakers because Chancellor Dubois likes to announce each student’s name who graduates. A commencement speaker usually takes up the majority of the ceremony, but we dedicate our ceremony to the students.

We’re one of the only universities of our size to do this. A student will speak for about 5 minutes though.

i just graduated from UNCC this past december and the ceremony was awesome basally the whole time was just calling students names and Chancellor Dubois is right graduation day is for the students thats the way it should be and the actual combined speaking part of the ceremony lasted i think like 20-25 min thats it

clt hopes you are kidding.

[quote=“upperdeck, post:4, topic:29572”]Janet Reno

http://www.justice.gov/archive/ag/speeches/1996/10-04-1996.pdf[/quote]

I’d prefer Will Ferrell dressed as Janet Reno.

Dubois was not there for my graduation ceremony in 2012. I believe his daughter was graduating from WVU on the same day.

West By God Virginia? That surprises me. Wake Forest, Chapel Hill, Duke…those I would have believed, but WVU?

West By God Virginia? That surprises me. Wake Forest, Chapel Hill, Duke…those I would have believed, but WVU?[/quote]

It’s important to know your limitations. Apparently she knew hers.

[quote=“309er, post:5, topic:29572”]We don’t have commencement speakers because Chancellor Dubois likes to announce each student’s name who graduates. A commencement speaker usually takes up the majority of the ceremony, but we dedicate our ceremony to the students.

We’re one of the only universities of our size to do this. A student will speak for about 5 minutes though.[/quote]

We do occasionally give an honorary doctorate and the person receiving it speaks briefly, one year it was lech walesa, few impact the world as he did.

clt recommends Nelly.

Shamari spears

clt also recommends Dustin diamond.

I too graduated that day.

I didn’t realize until the ceremony that there wasn’t a commencement speaker. Had I known that it was just going to be two hours of listening to names, I’d have saved myself and my family the trouble.

Anybody who agrees that it’s better to spend three hours listening to names just to hear yours spoken once obviously has nothing better to do… which is really saying something, considering that college graduation is one of the most important transitions in life.

I didn’t realize until the ceremony that there wasn’t a commencement speaker. Had I known that it was just going to be two hours of listening to names, I’d have saved myself and my family the trouble.

Anybody who agrees that it’s better to spend three hours listening to names just to hear yours spoken once obviously has nothing better to do… which is really saying something, considering that college graduation is one of the most important transitions in life.[/quote]

Have you heard some of these graduates’ families when their name is called? They seem to get a great deal out of hearing the name called out of their loved one. Families (especially parents) seem to get more from it than the graduates themselves. Its kind of like funerals in that way. It’s more about the loved ones than the person.

Anybody who agrees that it’s better to spend three hours listening to names just to hear yours spoken once obviously has nothing better to do… which is really saying something, considering that college graduation is one of the most important transitions in life.[/quote]

Have you heard some of these graduates’ families when their name is called? They seem to get a great deal out of hearing the name called out of their loved one. Families (especially parents) seem to get more from it than the graduates themselves. Its kind of like funerals in that way. It’s more about the loved ones than the person.[/quote]The way people yell and scream at graduations these days is embarrassing. When I was at my sister’s graduation, I kept getting pissed off because people would be screaming so loud that you couldn’t hear the next names being called. It is disrespectful to the graduates and their family members when you drown out their name being called to cheer for the one you’re there for.

clt hopes he gets a shout out during the ged exam completion ceremony.

is anybody here graduating in a 2 weeks