Graduation / Commencement Speakers

Congratulations class of 2016! Hope you stay active with our great alma mater!

Gonna hate that I have to pay to attend sports events soon…but I plan on doing what I can to support the school that invested in me. Absolutely loved every minute here at Charlotte and will forever bleed green!!!

Gonna hate that I have to pay to attend sports events soon…but I plan on doing what I can to support the school that invested in me. Absolutely loved every minute here at Charlotte and will forever bleed green!!!

You get it and have a very bright future.[/quote]

My daughter graduated from the College of Education on Saturday afternoon. (So, I have one out and one on the way in. My son will be a freshman this fall in the College of Engineering). #NinerFamily

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by CHP at the ceremony. He actually showed some personality, decent humor and most important SEEMED to push school spirit a good bit. He threw in a lot of “Niner Nation” and “Go Niners” comments and actually implored the graduates to come back to football games, etc. Commented on us being “bowl eligible” this year even. Pretty good job I must admit.

[quote=“919R, post:24, topic:29572”]My daughter graduated from the College of Education on Saturday afternoon. (So, I have one out and one on the way in. My son will be a freshman this fall in the College of Engineering). #NinerFamily

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by CHP at the ceremony. He actually showed some personality, decent humor and most important SEEMED to push school spirit a good bit. He threw in a lot of “Niner Nation” and “Go Niners” comments and actually implored the graduates to come back to football games, etc. Commented on us being “bowl eligible” this year even. Pretty good job I must admit.[/quote]

Good maybe he has accepted some coaching because he was pretty poor at both of my wife’s graduations.

Looking forward to coming back and supporting the Niners!

That SEC conference slate is going to be brutal next year :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Also, does any of the older guys know why we don’t have green cap and gowns? ECU has purple, NCSU has red, Cheat has blue, etc.

clt looks forward to graduation.

Edit: Also, does any of the older guys know why we don’t have green cap and gowns? ECU has purple, NCSU has red, Cheat has blue, etc.[/quote]

Because we’re a real university and not some poor imitation of a high school?

Edit: Also, does any of the older guys know why we don’t have green cap and gowns? ECU has purple, NCSU has red, Cheat has blue, etc.[/quote]

Because we’re a real university and not some poor imitation of a high school?[/quote]

Not a good answer. I have wondered the same thing and have been asked the same thing many times. We SHOULD have dark green caps and gowns. It all contributes to school spirit, or lack thereof.

[quote=“309er, post:5, topic:29572”]We don’t have commencement speakers because Chancellor Dubois likes to announce each student’s name who graduates. A commencement speaker usually takes up the majority of the ceremony, but we dedicate our ceremony to the students.

We’re one of the only universities of our size to do this. A student will speak for about 5 minutes though.[/quote]

I’m part of the group that like it this way. When I graduated a few years back I was glad to see there was no commencement speaker. I didn’t want to sit through a speech from someone who was just getting paid a lot of money to stand up there and rattle off some pseudo-passionate thing about how we can all change the world. I remember the commencement speaker at my high school graduation opened up with something along the lines of “Graduates, what I’m about to say really doesn’t matter. Less than 5 years from now, you won’t remember a single word of my speech” …of course, that the ONLY part of his speech I remember.

This is very much true. The vast majority of my close friends that I graduated with went to commencement only because their parent’s insisted; if it were up to me, I would not have attended. The whole ceremony is for the parents/family; we didn’t need to put on a cheap black gown to feel like we were college graduates, we’d already spent the last half decade or so busting our asses to get the grades/degree in the first place.

Also, on the subject of caps/gowns, I know there was a lot of extra stuff people wore (like cords and such) for various extra curricular groups or honors (some honors society I was in offered me some) but were there some that meant nothing? My mother was insistent I should ask about some kind of cords due my GPA (again, I couldn’t have cared less). So, when I got my gown from the bookstore, I said something like “hey, I’m supposed to ask about cords?” to the guy in the bookstore basement, and he just tossed me some gold and green ones from a box, no questions, no checking anything on a computer. The whole thing seemed ridiculous to me.

Because we’re a real university and not some poor imitation of a high school?[/quote]

Not a good answer. I have wondered the same thing and have been asked the same thing many times. We SHOULD have dark green caps and gowns. It all contributes to school spirit, or lack thereof.[/quote]

Are halton arena baselines green too? :wink:

Black is our new color remember. A search on nnn will probably bring that thread up from a few years ago.

Not a good answer. I have wondered the same thing and have been asked the same thing many times. We SHOULD have dark green caps and gowns. It all contributes to school spirit, or lack thereof.[/quote]

Black is our new color remember. A search on nnn will probably bring that thread up from a few years ago.[/quote]

Black is our new color remember. A search on nnn will probably bring that thread up from a few years ago.[/quote]

I assume you guys are kind of doing this “tongue in cheek”, but I am serious. Our caps and gowns should be green (our PRIMARY school color). Its these little things, all added together that illustrate why our school spirit/pride need improvement.

I assume you guys are kind of doing this “tongue in cheek”, but I am serious. Our caps and gowns should be green (our PRIMARY school color). Its these little things, all added together that illustrate why our school spirit/pride need improvement.[/quote]agree, it has always bothered me that they’re not green.

Cap and Gown Colors:

UNCG - Navy
UNCW - Teal
UNCA - Navy
ECU - Purple
App - Black
A&T - Navy
Fay St - Royal Blue
NCCU - Maroon
State - Red
Cheat - Cheat Blue

Charlotte - …Black

Come on, you know if they were green there would be 12 pages complaining about what color green.

http://www.graduationsource.com/adult-shiny-forest-cap-gown.html

Thats it.

I wish I was the person who thought of the idea of renting caps and gowns. That racket is INSANELY profitable.

Thats it.[/quote]

clt says it hard to find green cap and gowns. clt has a secret tool, ask jeeves.